Washington-Seattle

kind of bummed about my dress

I picked up my dress today, it is a Sottero and Midgley Suzette and it just isn't what I want. I had my heart set on another style, but settled on this one because it was beautiful and in my price range and i hadn't been able to find exactly what I wanted. Low and behold, I go in to pick up my dress and my dream dress is in the window, and in my size. Now I am full of regret and buyers remorse. Has anyone else felt this way?

Re: kind of bummed about my dress

• edited December 2011
    Yeah... I hated the gown I picked originally :/ 
    I ended up buying my "dream dress"  3 weeks before my wedding.. oi. 
    Pics of you in the gown you have now, and pics of the other one? 
  • phonehomephonehome member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have pics of myself in the gown yet, picked it up today and no one could come with me.
    This is the dress I got...
    http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=JSM1393

And this is the one I want...
    http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1399

I am glad I am not the only one who has felt this way. I feel like I'm being bridezilla, but it makes me feel sick to think about having spent all this money on something that didn't turn out the way I thought it would. Do you have any regrets about getting two dresses firsttimersluck? Was it worth it to get your "dream dress"?
  • edited December 2011
    I felt like a bridezilla too, (and my entire wedding party will tell you I was far from one.. They actually wished I wasn't so laid back lol) but you love what you love.. IMO the first one is way prettier than the second. The second looks similar to the DB one. 
    I absolutely have no regrets... but my budget for my gown was 1g. my first gown was 300 and the second was 600 so... I was still right at my budget. It was totally worth it. I felt like a rockstar in that gown, but I also really didn't like the first gown to begin with. like.. not at all... It was an impulse to please everyone and get the hell out of the store. 
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    phonehome:  Do you regret going with a strapless gown?  You could totally have a seamstress alter the gown for you and add similar straps to the dress you want.

I also agree with FTL, I like the first dress more.  The lace is prettier, and it looks way more original.  The 2nd dress (the one you want) looks pretty generic, imo.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • edited December 2011
    I love the first one! The second one is pretty too but just like FTL and Mgoss said it's a little generic. However I understand that it may be how it fits your body that may be why you love the 2nd one more. I don't think you are crazy for feeling this way at all. I went through the same thing when picking my dress. I loved one that was $300 over my budget and everyone kept saying just to do it because it only happens once but my mindset was the same only I couldn't see spending that much on a 1 day outfit! I ended up finding a dress that I really loved and was within my budget and am glad I didn't waste the money (I will put it towards our honeymoon). As long as you feel beautiful then everything will be fine. And I am sure FI will love the dress you picked.
  • edited December 2011
    Did you talk with the boutique/bridal shop you got it at? I got my dress from designer Amy Kuschel, I fell in love with a dress and then when i went to pick it up my dream dress was in her new collection. I tried it on and was literally going to buy another dress but I spoke with Amy Kuschel's rep and they said I could get the second dress and my credit for the first one was applied to the second one. I am wearing two dresses for my wedding, a lace Amy Kuschel dress for the ceremony and a Vera Wang dress for the reception.

How far out of your price range was what you want? Because if it isn't much I think you should try to make budget cuts in other aspects of your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    And also, I agree with everyone the first dress is drop dead gorgeous, so original. The second dress looks old to me, not very original, done over and over again.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do feel like a strapless gown was not the right decision. I have a large chest and I bought the size closest to my measurements, but feel like I don't like the cleavage. I don't want to worry about them hanging out on my wedding day. I have considered having a seamstress help out though.

Thanks for the feedback, I was concerned that the one I bought was nothing original at all. I don't have the budget to get a new one, but I will figure it out. I think I was feeling overly emotional yesterday since I picked it up and saw the dress I wanted originally.

I contacted the salon I got my gown from and am hoping I can let them know how unhappy I am with the fit and style and they can help me find a solution. They have been awesome so far, so I hope so!
  • edited December 2011
    They will probably help you find a solution by exchanging, or maybe help you add lacy sleeves? I think that would be stunning if the strapless deal is the issue.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GOOD IDEA Firsttimersluck! I think I may look into that. I tried on the dress again at the salon because I thought I could show her that the fit isn't great and I didn't wear a bra, and who would've thought, it fit better! I had a breakdown for no reason and turns out, there are a lot of solutions. Thanks for the info, support, and opinions everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    oh yay!! 
    I'm glad you're feeling better about your gown now :] next time, pics. With you. 
    In the dress. We (ok.. IIII... :P ) demand it! tehehehe
    I'm so glad to hear you're not as stressed about the gown now! Can't wait to know what you ultimately choose to do !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards