Washington-Seattle
Options

I Think I Picked my Venue (Finally!). Any Thoughts?

Okay, so there is an old 1930's theatre in my town that I can have the ceremony at for only $100! Just a block down the street, there is a danish hall that I can rent for the reception for only $300. I get both for the entire day, and the owner of the chalet will let me do the rehearsal for free. How awesome and budget friendly is that? I was originally not going to do it because my bridesmaids thought it was "weird", but I think it will work. I have a couple of things that I am worried about. Can anyone give me some helpful suggestions? 

I am mostly worried about my wedding having some weird identity crisis. I went to a wedding recently that was supposed to be "princess" themed. However, the venue (a swiss lodge) really didn't match. There were stuffed (dead) animals on the walls (along with other weird decorations...like a painting of a girl squatting over a chamber pot). I originally wanted a "princess" wedding because I got a beautiful princess/frog cake topper (which relates to my FI's job). I also wanted a very poofy dress. I obviously don't have the funds to rent something like thornewood castle (but I am totally okay with that). How can I incorporate that topper and my dress without having clashing themes? Am I just worrying too much? I realize that I may have been paying more attention to details at the last wedding I went to (after all, I had my own wedding on my brain). What do you think? Are there any creative things I can do with these venues? 

The second thing I am worried about is kind of stupid. My MOH thinks the theatre is old and therefore rundown (she described the wedding venue as "ghetto"). I have discussed the issue with locals and they all seem to think that the idea is weird, but creative. I really don't want my guests to have a bad first impression of my wedding (one of the first things they get to see is the invite with the address, right?). Should I care? Am I worrying too much? 

There are some more small issues with the venues, but I think they are easy enough to fix or ignore. I wanted light pink as my color, the chalet is dark red. We would need to rent chair covers for the reception (I hate chair covers, but we would have no place to put the venue's chairs if we rented different ones). The danish hall has mustard-colored curtains over the stage (but I think we may be able to cover those up). The danish hall has limited electrical outlets. The danish hall is a little small (although our guest list had 80 people and the max capacity of the place is 120 sitting). The danish hall walls are painted burgundy on the bottom half (which doesn't match the shade in the chalet). I cannot remove the photos on the walls of the danish hall (but we are thinking covering the walls up with fabric). I do not get a center aisle to walk down at the movie theatre (there are two side aisles). 

Most of these really aren't big issues, but I am thinking of ways to deal with them. I am 9 months away from this wedding and I honestly just want a venue. If you have any thoughts or solutions, please feel free to share. Thank you all so much for your help! 

Re: I Think I Picked my Venue (Finally!). Any Thoughts?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, it's kind of hard to envision without seeing pictures of what you're talking about, especially things like the pictures in the hall, the size of the curtain on the stage, etc to see if things would clash or not.  Is the theatre Liberty Theater in Puyallup?  Of all the things you mentioned, the one I'm hesitant about is the yellow curtains on the stage.  You mention covering them up, but as I recall, stage curtains are BIG and I don't really see a way to cover them without spending a ton on either purchasing material or renting different drapes to cover.  If you have pics to share, that would help. :)
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, it isn't the liberty theatre in puyallup. That place is really expensive. It is the Chalet in enumclaw. Here is a picture of the outside: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Enumclaw,_WA_-_Chalet_Theatre_02.jpg

And here is a picture of the danish hall: http://enumclawdanishhall.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

I don't have a picture of the curtains in the danish hall. The stage curtains were pulled back behind the stage when we were there, so you couldn't see the yellow fabric except for a small piece directly over the stage. I think a banner could cover it up. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, so first off, I think your dress will work anywhere. :)  Secondly, the cake topper is cute, and with the Chalet, I think you might be able to spin the theme to medieval princess?  That's the closest I can think to spin it.  As for the theater, that is tricky.  That being said, your MOH needs to STFU until she pays for a wedding herself.  Sorry, but the whole "ghetto" comment bugs me.  It's rude and inconsiderate, especiall from someone who's supposed to be a supportive MOH.
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and FWIW, I don't think a theme is necessary for a wedding.  We didn't have a theme per se and I was fine with that.
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dreamwindsdreamwinds member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't really have a theme for our wedding and I think it'll be fine. Also, unless you tell everyone it's a princess themed wedding, most people might not even notice if it doesn't feel like a princess-themed wedding to them, cause everyone might have different ideas of what a princess-themed wedding is. In my mind, all I can think is lots and lots of ballerina pink tulle and sparkly fairy dust everywhere which doesn't appeal to me, but might to someone else. Or someone else's idea of princess is swans and feathers everywhere. Or maybe someone's idea of princess is a hunting lodge with dead animal heads on the wall. You never really know. ^^;

I agree with tygirl too. Your bridesmaid needs to stfu. On the other hand, you could possibly chill out a little bit about whether your guests will like it or not. You can't please everyone, and as long as you are totally pleased with the end result, it should be a happy occasion. :) People will complain or gripe all they want no matter what you do, but if they're good friends, I imagine most people won't.

I dont' think people really get how stressful planning a wedding is until they do it. :(

Just do what you like most, that fits your budget, and makes you happy. Everyone is there for the party anyway, and not criticize the details of your wedding, and to see the two of you get married. :) Good luck!
    imageLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, you do not need a theme.  At most, you need to think of colors that will work at both locations.  Without seeing the colors, its hard to say.  But it seems that a pink could work w/ burgandy & gold.  Also, the dress you attached is not what I would consider "princess" or "poofy," as tygirl said, it would go w/ anything.  The topper is cute and you can use it regardless. 

Is there a reason you need 2 locations?  You can't do the ceremony at the danish hall also?  Are there no churches nearby that would work?  Or you don't want a church? (I didn't)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love both locations- very different and unique.  Your guests will certainly remember it,  Personally I grew out of the princess thing about age 5 but a cake topper does not dictate an entire theme.  Most guests dont even see the cake.  Embrace the location, where what you want and have fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards