Interfaith Weddings

Who can marry us?

Sorry if this has been posted already- I looked but couldn't find anything :/

My fiance and I are getting married hopefully in a year and a half (budget permitting). I am Jewish, he is of no faith but does believe in G-d (I believe this is Agnostic?). My question is- who can marry us with a few Jewish traditions present and a few of his own Irish traditions? Is it best to do a non-denominational wedding officiant or would a Rabbi be appropriate?

I appreciate all of the answers in advance! :)

Re: Who can marry us?

• edited December 2011
    In most cases a reform Cantor and even maybe even a reform Rabbi will marry you. If neither of those work for you try looking for an interfaith Rabbi... just google it and see what comes up, a lot of them have websites. I

f you're looking for a non-religious officiant JP's are always available.

But since you both believe is g-d I'd go with a Jewish officiant first and see what you find. Start with calling reform temples and go from there.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    this is my situation, too. we found a rabbi who specializes in these types of custom interfaith weddings. 

his name is Rabbi Aryeh Alpern, and he lives in Saratoga, NY though he will travel anywhere. 

He can be reached at:
    RabbiAlpern@aol.com

If you contact him, please tell him Lynnie and Andy recommended him. 

http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    this was the same problem FI and I have.  I'm Jewish and my fiance does not associate with any religion, nor does his nuclear family.  We first asked the rabbi at my synogogue, the one who bat-mitzvahed me and married my parents and he reluctantly said yes (my family is conservative and he's never done an interfaith wedding but agreed since he knows my family very well), but he wouldn't do the service I wanted.  So I turned to a friend who just recently married a non-jew, and she recommended me to a interfaith organization, and that went well, until they realized my date was taken, so they recommended me a rabbi in my area who actually used to be a hebrew high school teacher of me.  He is fantastic!  So just keep your chin up and search for someone who will do it.  It took me over 1.5 months to find a rabbi who would marry us because my fiance is not jewish, and is not willing to convert.

Now my issue is, how do I tell my family rabbi that we decided to go with someone else because he wouldn't do the service the way I wanted?
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Lynnie,

How do you like that Rabbi? I'm looking in that area and my fiance and I just met with another inter-faith Rabbi and just didn't feel connected. Any info would be great. Also, what donation is recommended or fee for Rabbi Alpern? Thanks!
    TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • Rev.BishopRev.Bishop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am an ordained Interfaith and Non-Denominational officiant and I take pride in creating beautiful cereonies that honor all faiths.  I reside in Florida in the winter and New England in the summer and would love to speak with anyone who may be interested in creating an interfaith or multi cultural wedding ceremony. It would be an honor!
  • edited December 2011
    Try All couples Married...located here in St. Louis
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much, ladies! Sorry I haven't responded in a very long time (I'm not internet savvy at all and couldn't find my posting-oops).
    I truly appreciate it!! :D
  • rabbimichaelrabbimichael member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can call me at 239-404-7298 or email me at rabbimr13@aol.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards