South Asian Weddings

indian formal wear online?

Hi ladies- I'm a half-Sindhi gal who was recently married and I usually post on the Boston board, but I have a question I thought maybe you could help me with. I'm looking to buy some Indian-style or Indian-inspired formal wear online to wear to a wedding (I'm thinking of a ghagra choli or something like that). I haven't bought Indian formal wear outside of India before, so I was wondering if any of you could help me by recommending a reliable online vendor. Any advice? store recommendations?
imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!

Re: indian formal wear online?

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think some of the ladies here have had good experiences with bargello.com and utsavsarees.com.  I don't think there are any Boston girls on here that would have recs for actual stores in the Boston area, but you could check the SA bio for any recs (bio is linked in a few of the girls siggies!)  HTH!
  • SmithaandMikeSmithaandMike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just bought my wedding sari on bharatplaza.com I had never bought anything on line so I ended up buying another sari at a local store as well. The sari I bought on line was amazing I will probably wear it for the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    The ones already mentioned are the ones I'm most familiar with, but down below in the post called "Buyer Beware," there is some info on good and bad online vendors.  I know Mrs. Khan mentioned one I had not heard of, called India Trends or something.As a side note, I recently ordered something from Indian Gifts Portal and have been having difficulty getting the correct shipping information, so I'd recommend everyone hold off on that until I can give either a rant or rave.  I'm getting a little nervous.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I will check these sites out. This is really helpful. :)
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    Silk threads is also a good online place...they have ghagra cholis, saris, salwars, and indo fusion wear.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I DO NOT recommend DMI India.  I just received my lehenga yesterday and it is absolutely hideous. Nothing that I loved about the original picture translated to the finished garment. It doesn't even fit properly and I gave my exact measurements.  I can't even bend in the skirt, let alone sit.  I'm so disappointed and now scrambling to find something else in time. Please do NOT use them. :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards