South Asian Weddings
Options

Filipino Anyone??

I am getting married in Boracay (FI's birthplace) in Philippines. I am Puerto Rican from the US & know nothing about Filipino wedding traditions. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Re: Filipino Anyone??

• Options
    Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I don't think there are any Filipino girls on this board!  (unless there's someone out there lurking!)  You should also try posting this on the other Asian boards (Chinese, Japanese, etc.)  Otherwise your best bet is to just ask your FI or talk to his parents.  They're going to be your best source because if Filipino wedding traditions are anything like Indian wedding traditions, they're going to vary from family to family. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm American Filipina.  You should Google the tradition as there are lots to choose from.  They are mostly Spanish-based.  The major ones are:  (a) veil and cord tradition (sponsors wrap veil and then place cord over head around you and your FI); (b) coins (groom gives you 13 coins); and (c) having godparents "sponsor" your union. Since you are doing your wedding in-country, there are other traditions like releasing doves from an enclosed container (have been to wedding where they place the poor doves in a pinata-like thing resembling a bell and couple pull cord, releasing doves), but I think that's kind of cruel to the poor doves. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I am SA but FI is part filipino on his mom's side. And from what she tells me it most wedding has a lot to do with the Catholic church traditions. One main one that I can think of is the veil and cord ceremony. Like the previous poster said you can find a lot of resources online as that is what I am doing to find something of that side to incorporate since right now its all SA stuff for me. I think I might also give a filipino treat and a SA treat as my favors. My FI's family is very non traditional as they are from Manila.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're also getting married in Boracay! 39 days to go and fiancee and I are based in CA. You have to tell me who your vendors are!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My best friend in high school was 1/2 Puerto Rican, 1/2 Filipino!  Totally not helpful to you I know, but he was a damn good lookin' kid if you were curious!  Congrats & happy planning!
  • Options
    paradyseparadyse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    elizandavid - I have no clue yet! We just got engaged & I won't get to go to Boracay to plan until December. But I DO know we will be staying at the Beachcomber. So what made y'all decide on Boracay??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should seriously send an email to the Knot gods about having a Filipino weddings board.  It's definitely a need!  (Not that we don't love having Filipina girls on the SA board, though.)  BTW, I think Weddingbee has a Filipino wedding board on their site, but most of their boards aren't really active.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    paradyse- we are 25 days away! Actually, we have not quite decided on the venue at Boracay but should be really easy. We chose Boracay because because we wanted an island wedding with very little work for both of us. The major hotels there have wedding packages. Similar to Four Seasons- they pretty much take care of everything- just bring your dress! The island is definitely pricier than Manila however it's really a small fraction vs having a wedding here in California. The paperwork for marriage licenses in the Philippines though is really *painful*, the waiting period is 10 days. Plan accordingly if you have a specific date in mind. We chose Sept 9. I can definitely give you feedback on the vendors we pick and the hotel we are staying so keep in touch! Happy planning ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards