South Asian Weddings

oops - didnt refer to MIL as mom

as a follow up to the hot post below...this past weekend we had lots of family coming over to see our new digs.  DH's uncle said "next time I come I want you to cook me a nice gujurati dinner!"I looked at him like he was crazy to expect that I knew how to do that (unless if by guju dinner he meant pasta or tacos), and DH's mom says "tell him that your mom will come and cook for him".  So I said "yeah I'll call my mom to come shes the best cook she'll come all the way from DE for you".   Apparently, MIL was referring to herself.  I didnt realize this until there was an awkward silence, and DH told me later that his mom was upset.   She's still upset apparently, but dude its been ONE week since the wedding, it's going to take me awhile to automatically think of someone else other than the woman who gave birth to me, when I hear the word "mom"!

Re: oops - didnt refer to MIL as mom

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww I'm sorry!  That's super awkward! I wouldn't worry about it.  She'll get over it.  If she's still really upset, just have your DH explain the need for an adjustment period and I'm sure she'll understand.  Trust me, it takes way more than a week to adjust!  It's been two months for me and I still get a little weirded out when MIL refers to me as her daughter lol.  And LOL - We had a family dinner to show off our new apt and I made pasta haha.  I think they were wondering where their dosa and idli was :-)  Not gonna happen any time soon!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw, that sucks!But I'm with you - what does she expect? Besides, EVERYONE knows that their own mom is the best cook they know... so it's only natural that you assumed your mom would cook!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    totally agree Shilps! Its not like your a light switch and the next second you are married you can call her your mom! It def takes time!
  • edited December 2011
    What a sensitive sally!  I hope she really wasn't *that* upset.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards