South Asian Weddings

XP - Using traditions outside your curlture

How do you feel about people using traditions from other cultures that they are not a part of?Reason I ask: I find the symbolism and history of Mehndi fascinating and the artwork itself is beautiful. Would it be offensive for me to include this tradition in my wedding festivities even though its not part of 'my culture'?Any input is welcome, thanks!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: XP - Using traditions outside your curlture

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't have any problem with it!  I think that if it's done respectfully and in good taste it can be a nice way to honor someone else's culture. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is great that you want to have mendhi; I would never think it is offesive if someone not SA wears it. I am SA, but I am incorporating different cultures in my wedding and reception.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I think henna/mehndi is one of those things that is universally beautiful and and pretty.  Have at it!  I think you'd head into murkier territory if you used religious symbols out of context.  For example, a few months ago on Weddingbee, one of the bloggers decided that a Ganesha symbol would be a great motif for her invitation suite.  She called it a "cool elephant design," and put a sombrero on him for her rehearsal dinner invitations and that got a few South Asian/Hindu readers riled up. 
  • edited December 2011
    OMG, D2M -- a sombrero on Ganesha? I want to die, and I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Oh, and op...go ahead! Check out my friend MissBliss28's profile on here (there is also a link to her at the bottom of my bio). She did exactly what you're suggesting, and it was beautiful! It sounds like you understand the meaning and are respectful of the culture, so I think you're safe. I hope your wedding turns out perfectly!
  • edited December 2011
    I'll second DublintoMadras.  Anything cultural is completely fine so long as you do so respectfully.  Mehndi/Henna is so beautiful I think it's a great idea to incorporate it into your celebration.  Additionally, mehndi/henna used in many cultures so it's actually very multicultural to have mehndi at your wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for the feedback and well-wishes. I appreciate the insight.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards