South Asian Weddings

NWR: Easy Indian Breakfast?

So, we're settling into married life. DH is pretty self-sufficient, and he's on a completely different schedule from me, but I'm really struggling with how we'll handle breakfast at home. I rarely eat it at home on a weekday, and when I do it's something easy and microwaveable like oatmeal or something I can quickly put in the toaster. DH eats big breakfasts and has a more flexible schedule and can take his time in the morning. Plus his mom was here for the past 5 months and he had big Indian breakfasts when he'd wake up. Anyway, I have no clue what Indian breakfast looks like (aside from sabudana), and the few American breakfasts I know would get pretty repetitive or not be enough food for DH. Do any of you have any insight into things that can be made the night before or that don't take too much time or things we can just have around the house?

Re: NWR: Easy Indian Breakfast?

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    South indian breakfast foods are the best :-)   You could get the instant idli mixes from the indian store (or make it from scratch) and make those ahead of time.  They will keep in the fridge for a couple of days and to re-heat you just need to place a damn paper towel over them as you microwave.  You can make the coconut chutney to accompany it, or make sambar/rasam ahead of time.  Sambar also freezes well if you want to make a large batch.One of my favs is upma.  You can get instant, but I like to make it from scratch.  You can get the packages of Rava from the store (most american stores will have it too).  Might also say Sooji on the package.  This can definitely be made ahead of time and is pretty easty for a basic upma (with a few types of veggies, or even simpler with just some onion and chilis).Another favorite is Akhi (sp?) roti (different from north indian style rotis).  I need to get a recipe from my mom, but from what i've seen they're pretty easy to make and don't take much time to form the dough and just cook on the pan.  Can also be made ahead and heat up in the morning to eat with raita, chutney, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    hehehe...pretty sure Meghana's damn = damp! And I agree, idli is the easiest & keeps for several days. BTW...does your DH actually prefer Indian breakfast? I'm not at all a fan, and my DH would prefer to eat "American" breakfast. (Off topic, but thought it was interesting!)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL Nicole-  clearly I didn't proofread :-)  Yes, I mean damp paper towel haha. And ditto what you said about indian breakfasts.  I enjoy them every now and than, but DH would always prefer a stack of pancakes to idli haha
  • edited December 2011
    I think DH likes both, but I'm not likely to make a big American breakfast during the week.  Plus he gets tired of eggs. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea American breakfasts really aren't make-ahead meals.  You can't really make pancakes and eggs the night before and have them actually taste fresh the next day.  Idli and upma are definitely two good and hearty make-ahead indian meals!
  • edited December 2011
    Parathas are pretty easy if you make the filling ahead of time.  I like ones with dal inside. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Interesting! So DH & I both eat pretty standard breakfasts of oatmeal or cereal, but have you tried a recipe for an overnight french toast? That is super filling. I think there are also some savory cassaroles that you could make the night before & heat (& re-heat for several days) if you just google "breakfast cassarole." I'm not sure if a quiche would be filling enough, but they also keep in the fridge pretty well. And if you're me...the frozen food section is a lifesaver! Of course, none of this is related to the original question... :)
  • j pj p member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, lurker here...i usually check out www.sailusfood.com. It's mostly Andhra and southie food, but she has a lot of recipes from all over india. She has a whole section on breakfast foods.
  • edited December 2011
    The only South Indian food that is good are the breakfast foods!  And the only good Indian breakfast foods are all Southie lol.Both idli & dosa use the same/similar "batter".  You can buy this ready-made and just pour it out & make what you want.  That's really the only part that has to be fresh.  The sauces (chutney, sambar, etc.) & the potato curry (if you are making masala dosa) can also be prepared in advance and just taken out of the fridge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards