South Asian Weddings

Going to India in 1 month!

Hey girls!  I'm going to India--delhi, ahmdebad, and punjab in February and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!  I've made lists of everything I need, but I don't really know what to get where.  Has anyone shopped in these locations and thinks one's better for one thing vs. another??  I know I will buy Punjabi suits in Punjab but what about reception lenghas, jewelry, bangles, gifts??  Any ideas?

Re: Going to India in 1 month!

• edited December 2011
    I went to India last March and can give you a few tips on where I bought things.  I went to Punjab and Delhi and I found Delhi to be better for lehngas, jewelry, shoes, etc.  I did find one of my lehngas in Patiala but after looking at many stores in many cities but the other two in Delhi.  We didn't have enough time in Ludhiana but that would be a great place to shop for clothes -- a really nice sari collection, suits of course, and lehngas.  

Punjab is good for gifts and such -- we got turbans and stoles from Chandigarh as well as some shoes and purses.  They do have stores for everything but I found the selection in Delhi for jewelry, both real and artificial, much better.  I did get most of my bangles in Chandigarh though at Bittu Bangle.  We got punjabi jootis in Patiala and if you want to find nice stoles/scarves as gifts, they have a nice selection in Patiala as well.

If you have any specific questions of where to get certain things, I can definitely be more detailed so let me know.  You can email me at meghaks at gmail as well.  Hope that helps -- and don't forget to enjoy your trip and eat some yummy food!
  • yanksasdjyanksasdj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to New Delhi in November 2009. I have a contact in New Delhi who pretty much took me everywhere (let me know if you want contact informaiton). I would say Frontier for bridal and reception dresses. If you don't want real gold or diamond jewlery Much More was decent (got great chuda and kalera). That's all I can remember. Sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards