South Asian Weddings
Options

Traditional Ceremonies vs Western?

Are you going to do the traditional ceremonies - such as the mehendi, the dye rubbing, the wedding and reception?  Are there other ceremonies that you are doing?

Are you working towards a western ceremony - of just the wedding and the reception?

Are you going to get married under a Mandap?

We did the mehendi havan, dye rubbing havan, wedding and reception.  We tried to keep things under budget, and we were married under a mandap in an all religions Hindu-owned temple.  We added additional steps during the marriage to honor the South Indian customs that were different than the North Indian.  We had 4 pandits! and had a Kangaan the day after - reunion with close family and friends and a whole lotta food!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~

Re: Traditional Ceremonies vs Western?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you going to do the traditional ceremonies - such as the mehendi, the dye rubbing, the wedding and reception?  Are there other ceremonies that you are doing? Mehndi yes; dye rubbing, no; wedding and reception definitely. We're also including a handfasting.

Are you working towards a western ceremony - of just the wedding and the reception? We're kinda blending them both.

Are you going to get married under a Mandap? Yep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing it all. We wouldn't have a Western ceremony...we're both Hindus and want the wedding we've seen all our lives.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having two weddings, in Canada and France, 1 month apart: two ceremonies (Hindu and Catholic/white) and two receptions (both with full dinners, dancing, etc). I'm Hindu/Canadian and he's French.
    For the Hindu one I'll do a mehndi party just with the BMs (as they are all coming on from out of town) and marry under a mandap. No other Hindu functions (we're south Indian so we don't do as much stuff as north Indians, to my knowledge).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards