South Asian Weddings
Options

your opinions on time - Hindu and Christian ceremonies in the same day

Hi all....
So originally I wanted to do a combination of the two and have only one ceremony. My FI is very set on having a traditional Hindu ceremony but has "agreed" to have a Christian one as well, knowing it's important to me. So here's our schedule of events:
11-12 Baraat
12-130 Hindu Ceremony
130-230 - lunch at hotel (our ceremonies are right next door, literally)
guests are on their own - they can check into rooms, walk around town, etc
500-530 - Christian ceremony
630-730 - Cocktail hour
730-1130 - Reception

I know it's going to be a long, tiring day. I'm hoping that by serving lunch, it isn't too much of a break in between ceremonies. Plus most of our guests will be staying over, at least we assume. My Fi is happy with the schedule but wants to move the baraat and ceremony up a half hour. I told him I'm not sure it can work, knowing how much it takes a girl to get ready in the morning..Also, do you think I can find a hairstyle to match both sari and white dress? Makeup I'm not worried about, as I like fairly neutral anyway. 

Any feedback is much appreciated! 

Re: your opinions on time - Hindu and Christian ceremonies in the same day

• Options
    mimosa1977mimosa1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a very doable schedule.  For everyone- your guests & you. The 3 hour break will def be neded by you are your families.  Honestly, I would see if you can get a nap in.  The only downside I see is that many peeople that are from the surrounding area ( like an hour away) may not come to the morning ceremony and just to the afternoon one.  Since these people will not have a place to stay (if they are not staying at  the hotel)   in between these 2 ceremonies, 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think your schedule looks good for the most part, but do you plan on taking pictures in both your Indian ceremony clothes as well as with the Christian ceremony? You will need to add in time for both of those sessions into your day, too.

The other thing that I would be concerned about from a guest perspective is that while I think it's ok to maybe have the afternoon break between the two different ceremonies, I would be wary of another one hour break between the Christian ceremony and the reception. That's asking a lot of your guests to wait 3 hours earlier and then 1 hour again later in the day. Maybe move the ceremony time back or the cocktail hour up and have your pictures done prior to the ceremony? (If that is what the one hour break is for in the evening.)

As for hairstyle - do you want something that is up or down? Do you plan to wear a veil for either or both ceremonies? I think that the hairstyle would depend a lot on those factors to start with.

ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the timing is good but agree with PP that you should try to get your pictures when you're in your white dress before the Christian ceremony (during that 3 hour break) so that your guests don't have to wait around later in the day.  I think you can do the same hairstyle for both outfits too. 
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    PPs have good advice on time.

As for hair styles, if you can go with something basic and simple it is most likely to match both outfits.  I wore my hair down for everything, and that went with all different kinds of outfits.  It would also make changing easier, because you wouldn't have to worry about disturbing your hair (you will have to remove the dupatta).  If you want an updo, a simple one will probably work best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! Your feedback is much appreciated!
    I am skeptical too about the break between the Christian ceremony and the cocktail hour. I was hoping to get pics before the ceremony (as technically we'll already be married, so no need to worry on the Christian jinx of seeing each other before the ceremony). The only reason I kept a space...is that the ceremony is not at the reception site. It is literally next door (up a hill to be exact). But I was afraid that the elder guests who cannot walk and will need the shuttle may not all get there on time. Plus there is the chance that the ceremony doesn't start or end as hoped. That was the reason for the break. I'll still have to consider this and can probably adjust as necessary. Even moving it back 15 min should help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards