South Asian Weddings
Options

As nice as Off the Rack or Sonas? Desperate for Mehndi outfit please help!!

Hi,

My MIL bought me an outfit for the mehndi and while it's beautiful, it's not quite right for me. I'm white/American (FI is Indian/Pakistani) and I think the color is just wrong for my skin tone. So now I need a new outfit! Problem is my MIL's sister bought this one in India and there are no other trips planned. I've been to Edison and Queens, but haven't really seen anything I loved. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? 

I bought my wedding lengha at Sonas in London. I've also seen the FB page for Off the Rack in Toronto. Is there anything as contemporary and nice as Sonas or Off the Rack in the Edison/NYC area? We live in NY so I'm hoping there'll be something close by! 

Also, I love Sonas but the top for my lengha is way too small and the skirt is way too big. Given that this culture is totally new for me everything is starting to feel totally overwhelming. :( And I think I'm beginning to go loopy!!  Does anyone have any suggestions? Otherwise FI and I are going to hop in the car and drive to Toronto to visit off the rack. If that's the best option I'll do it, but I'm seriously starting to lose it. HELP!!

Re: As nice as Off the Rack or Sonas? Desperate for Mehndi outfit please help!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been looking for stores like Sonas too!!! I love one of their dresses but am nervous about purchasing it online without actually seeing it in person. Wish i could find something similar in the states! I won't be able to go to Off the Rack either since it's so far. I won't be able to shop for my outfits in India either so have been looking in the NY/NJ area. In Edison, I have seen some modern dresses at Sahil, Sheetal, and The Mall but those stores can be pricey. OM the Origin and Ashwiara have some nice things too. If you have an idea or picture of what you're looking for, I hear Georgeous Studio can custom make your dress specific to what you are looking for so that might be an option too. In Queens, I felt that Bombay Bridal Boutique had some really nice things. In NYC, I've heard that Shennai Couture and Khubsoorat Collection both have some modern fashions. I'm going to be checking out those stores later this week for my reception outfits, so can let you know more about them after I go! Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Forgot to mention that Exclusively.In has some good stuff too!
  • Options
    12kWedding12kWedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IDK how far you are from Chicago, but I find they have a better selection than Toronto. There are several nice stores all up and down Devon Ave. Wish I knew more about online stores. Good luck.
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Borrow it Bindaas is also an option. You can borrow your outfit to your exact measurement and drop it off if you are looking for an alternative to buying. They have some pretty choices!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So, I finally hit the stores in Edison again and The Mall at Oak tree was able to custom  order what I wanted. I really love their stuff! I agree that it's price, but not as much as Sonas (when you include the currency exchange, etc..) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards