South Asian Weddings
Options

Going to an India Wedding

Hi All,
i've never been to India before, and am going to a South Indian wedding in May... Is there tips that I should know before hand?

People were saying that I should be vaccinated before going, does this really help?  Are there precautions that I should take, like a filtered waterbottle, or stay away from the street vendors until I get accustomed to the food?

What about clothing, I've picked out a few sarees to wear, and kameez salwars, and even have some kurtis - I know to be modest, and a bit consiervative, with loose fitting clothing that covers up the good so to speak, what about shoes?  Close toed shoes work better, or sandals, or should I take both?

Visa wise, I got a 10 year multiple entry, do I need anything else?

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~

Re: Going to an India Wedding

• Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely tell you to go get vaccinated.

Make sure to bring anything from cold meds, anti-bacterial gel, wet wipes, after bite, and diarhea meds with you. Bring toilet paper - some facilities do not use toilet paper and if you want it, you'll have to bring your own.

Make sure you have comfortable shoes, flats are nice. Just be comfortable.

You can wear jeans and tops or linen pants and tops and no one will be offended. Just like at home, if you're covered up when going to someone's house, in the company of the elderly, or at a temple, you will be fine.

Avoid streetfood. You will probably not be able to stomach it or milk, salads, or raw veggies rinsed in water. Avoid packing a bottle for water, always just order bottled water everywhere you go. You can find it everywhere.

• Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you're not already vaccinated against Hep A and B, it's a good idea.  Typhoid is also important, as is a polio booster.  If you call a travel clinic with your dates of travel and where you're going, they will have the list of vaccines that are recommended.  I never take anti-malarial drugs, and in some parts of India there's not that high of a risk.

I've heard the climate in Bangalore is really nice, but I haven't been there.  Chennai is HOT and humid.  My friends ILs are visiting from Hyderabad and they described it as "unbearable" between March and November.

I found South India much more liberal on dress than North India.  Jeans and pants are definitely okay.  A light weight scarf is a good idea for covering up, and covering your nose and mouth in polluted cities.  Temples usually won't let you in if you're wearing western clothes, so if you're sightseeing you should wear a silwar kameez.  And definitely flat, comfortable shoes.  Also, slip on shoes are good.

You'll have so much fun!  What towns will you see?
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you're in Tamil Nadu, I recommend Mahaballipuram.  It has the most lovely seaside temple.
  • Options
    MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey KK :)

I've have travelled to Northern India 3 times.  The last time I went I was 26 and I didn't get vaccinated. 

I would def suggest not to have any water or water products (even fruits washed in tap water) from street vendors or local stores.  Boiled water and bottled water is safe.

I think clothing wise you are fine.  I feel that many people in the city dress pretty modern but modesty is safest bet in India!

Take your camera and enjoy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awww! have fun!! I hope to go for winter break. (depending on school) but enjoy and have a blast @ the wedding. post pics when you come back if possible! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP's on their suggestions - I definitely recommend getting vaccinated. Better safe than sorry. Also, I recommend looking into anti-malaria medicine as well. You should be able to get a prescription from your doctor.

Definitely drink the bottled water or boiled water only. Stay away from the street vendors at all costs. It will be tempting, but it's not worth it.

As for shoes, wear comfortable shoes/sandals with small heels or even flats for everyday. Sandals are my choice since it's hot and I dislike wearing close toes shoes in the heat :)

You're good with the visa you already got. There aren't any other entry requirements.

Have fun on your trip! Enjoy the wedding and take in as much as you can. How long will you go for and where are you going? Bangalore is a favorite and like Temurlang said, the climate is really, really nice.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Where are you going in S. India? You should try going to Kerela (where I'm from) it's beautiful!!
    I agree don't drink the water. We got bottled water were ever we went.

Go for sandals! They are the best in this!! and Salwars are great too. Jeans don't work as well because I don't think I ever saw anyone wear them. Plus jeans are hard to clean and dry this time of the year.

I'm not sure about the vaccines. I never got them, but I guess I am from there and even had the water once or twice. I know they have different dieases then we have here. It's different strands and competely different types or colds etc. I agree with pp with packing all kinds of cold and flu meds. We did that for my nephew just in case he got sick. have fun!
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to Mumbai, and traveling to Vizag actually in South India -- I got hepA and hepB vacinnations already, I'm in good health, haven't been to the doctors except for regular check ups in over 2 years, and get exposed to all the germies in the office :-)

I was asking about Capris (all below the knee) because then my legs could breathe.  I live in Arizona, so I am used to the dry hot heat, and have been to Florida several times and my hair will probably be tied back since the curls get tighter and tighter with the more moisture in the air!

I have a lot of kurtis and indian print shirts that I plan on wearing, not skin tight at all, very loose fitting which is very fitting with hot weather, your skin has to be able to breathe a little, else you end up with a headache at least!

I have a lot of cotton kameez salwars as well, that don't take up that much room in the suitcase.

I will wear sandals, or something with some sort of comfort, and flat since I'm already 5'8", I'm already gonna be the tallest gal there lol.. no need to be taller than the desi guys too lol lol!

A lot of my indian friends think I got my curly hair from Kerala :) I've always wanted to go and see other Indians with curly hair :D

I'm planning to go May/June time frame for 2 weeks :-) 

I haven't planned out where I'll go yet, in South India, mostly because I'll be at the wedding house :-)  I know that I'll probably get to go to Hyderabad though for some shopping :-)

ETA: Thanks for the list too for  medical supplies, I'm compiling a list to have everything handy, one in the suitcase and the other in the carry on.  I was hoping that if I do become a shopAholic, that I could reserve getting a suitcase there and filling it up, and bringing it back as the second luggage item ::-)

Flight wise, I found the cheapest in the air flight with one stop in between from here to Mumbai :-)  then a domestic a few days later to the wedding house literally!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_going-india-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:7f76086d-ddc9-4973-8a13-3d3d4a54e6eePost:ec042061-6fa0-432a-bc84-7e8763394398">Re: Going to an India Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to Mumbai, and traveling to Vizag actually in South India -- I got hepA and hepB vacinnations already, I'm in good health, haven't been to the doctors except for regular check ups in over 2 years, and get exposed to all the germies in the office :-) I was asking about Capris (all below the knee) because then my legs could breathe.  I live in Arizona, so I am used to the dry hot heat, and have been to Florida several times and my hair will probably be tied back since the curls get tighter and tighter with the more moisture in the air! I have a lot of kurtis and indian print shirts that I plan on wearing, not skin tight at all, very loose fitting which is very fitting with hot weather, your skin has to be able to breathe a little, else you end up with a headache at least! I have a lot of cotton kameez salwars as well, that don't take up that much room in the suitcase. I will wear sandals, or something with some sort of comfort, and flat since I'm already 5'8", I'm already gonna be the tallest gal there lol.. no need to be taller than the desi guys too lol lol! <strong>A lot of my indian friends think I got my curly hair from Kerala :)</strong> I've always wanted to go and see other Indians with curly hair :D I'm planning to go May/June time frame for 2 weeks :-)  I haven't planned out where I'll go yet, in South India, mostly because I'll be at the wedding house :-)  I know that I'll probably get to go to Hyderabad though for some shopping :-) ETA: Thanks for the list too for  medical supplies, I'm compiling a list to have everything handy, one in the suitcase and the other in the carry on.  I was hoping that if I do become a shopAholic, that I could reserve getting a suitcase there and filling it up, and bringing it back as the second luggage item ::-) Flight wise, I found the cheapest in the air flight with one stop in between from here to Mumbai :-)  then a domestic a few days later to the wedding house literally!
    Posted by kpwedkk[/QUOTE]

You might have! My sister has really curly hair; thick and curly. As well as my aunt, cousin, and grandmother! It's what makes us special..lol My sister will straighten her hair regularly becuase it can get so hard to control.
  • Options
    reshma82reshma82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    u may want to take some socks and shoes- only cuz your feet get really dirty there
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a big head of curly hair, too! So does my Dad! Everyone else I know has pin-straight hair!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I mostly just lurk, but I had to post a reply to this question! 

My FI is from Goa, and I travelled there with him for his cousin's wedding a few years ago.  I had to get Hep A and B vaccinations, and a tetanus shot (mostly 'cause I was overdue and am a klutz--I'd be the one hurting myself on vacation and having to find a hospital to get a new shot).  I also took anti-malaria pills, as did FI.  This may have been because I was paranoid...there was a gawd-awful article in National Geographic shortly before our trip about a really nasty strain of malaria.

I would definitely stay away from the non-bottled water, and wear comfy shoes with good arch support if you'll be doing a lot of walking.  The biggest thing for me (I'm from Pennsylvania and used to cold weather--and we went in December/January!) was to wear lightweight loose clothes that had good sun protection--and a *lot* of sunblock.  But my family is from England/Scotland, so we have more problems with sunburn than most...

I wore mostly capris and t-shirts, and picked up a couple of kurtis at a bazaar while I was there. 

The only other thing I was advised, being from the US and not used to the facilities available in some parts of India, was to carry a roll of TP.  It did come in handy a few times.  :-P

Enjoy your trip!  I'm sure you will have a great time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Christy :)  et All :)

Yeah, I'm making sure I have TP in the suitcase :) Thanks for all of the advice too :) It's hard to read some of the articles, dos and don'ts, since some of it doesn't even cover what you gals have posted here!!!

• Options
    bridetobeeebridetobeee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Vaccines, bottled water, no street food. Everything else is fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards