South Asian Weddings
Options

Sari shopping in LA?

Does anyone know of places in/around LA that sell saris,lehengas?

Re: Sari shopping in LA?

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes!  Have you been to Artesia (close to Anaheim) - Pioneer Blvd - has a lot of stores

Clickity

I got my outfits at sona chaandi, and frontier looked awesome as well!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    Trupti8584Trupti8584 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @kp Thanks a tonne.  Never been there..I'll check out pioneer blvd. Do you recommend anything particular while there?
  • Options
    amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mirage is great, Frontier is good, Sona Chaandi is good as well (just dont let them do your henna).

We almost bought our bridesmaid's sarees at Loveleen. They don't have nice enough stuff for a bride, but they have decent prices for their stuff. you have to haggle with them though.
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Try out their food while taking a break shopping... Surati Farsan and Udupi are my favorites hands down. They have great sweet stores (Ras Raj - has fresh sugar cane juice, vegetarian snacks, and sweets yum! and ) as well, if you want to take some back :)

Sona Chaandi and Frontier are the two high end clothing stores in this area, but there are plenty of other places as well, but I walked in and walked out of many, because I was looking for something a bit higher end... 

Sona Chaandi - we went here, ultimately because we knew the owners, and you could get outfits custom, if you give them a time - we gave them 6 months, and went back and forth when they had it in, to get any last minute alterations - which are free.  The owners threw in jewelry and accessories into the price of the outfits as well, they have a lot to choose from, and they even have an eye brow threading/waxing boutique.

- I got my wedding outfit, and reception outfit customized.  We got DH's  Reception outfit here as well, my mom's two outfits, and dad's two outfits, and my brother's wedding outfits here.  DH got his wedding outfit at http://www.rajasthanistore.com/

(FoB, DH, me, MoB)

Frontier Heritage - I love their store, and they do have a lot of nice modern outfits, ghagra cholis, saris with heavy embroidery, and other outfits.  They are super expensive however, but it's a good store to see what they have, and shop accordingly.

There are many sari stores, and like in India, there's a large amount of haggling that is needed.

If you need to pick up your pooja equipment, they have two stores that carry the silk flowers to decorate your home, or your parents, or where ever you are holding the mehendi and haldiwaan and sangeet events.

Also jewelry stores, they have plenty of 22kt, and 24kt stores of yellow and now white gold if you need anything for any outfits.

And grocery stores, if you need samagri, camphor etc.

Also there's a store called Bangle Bazaar, they can match any outfit, because of how many bangles they have!!  Also, they have DVDs, and CDs of newly released movies

I like Cottage Art as well, to get some gifts that are unique to India, that I haven't been able to find at other places, or if you want to decorate your home :) 

This site, gives a textual reply of what you can find in Artesia.

Oh and Sona chaandi and Frontier won't allow you to take pictures of their merchandise, so to counter that, I brought a sketchbook, and designed what they had, or write down what they had so that I could take a mental note...

I bet I'll add more, if you have some need items, they do have a few sari stores where you can buy bolts of material if you need to decorate a particular area, if you aren't renting from an indian company for decorations.

And, feel free to ask questions, I bet I can send you to the right store...

And... I always park behind Sona Chaandi, it gives more room, the place is generally packed on the weekends, and you could be wasting valuable time trying to park, rather than eating, and shopping!!

ETA: At Sona Chaandi, I was able to get two dupatta with my outfit as well, kind of rare :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow..Thanks kp..I'll print this and take with me..
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Trupti, when do you plan to go?  This weekend? 

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kp..I was there for the long weekend. We checked out Frontier Heritage and Sona Chandi..I liked their collection, specially one saree but wasn't sure of the price so didn't buy anything. I am counting on my Mumbai trip. We went to Ras Raj also and loved the sugar cane juice..didn't have enough time to check out the other stores though. There's so much to do in LA, it's fun!
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Awesome still, Trupti!  It gave you some ideas, and that's what matters :)  If you see anything online, take print outs with you.

When do you plan to go to Mumbai?  I'm goin g to be in India in December-January time frame.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@kp..Me too.. Mid December thru Jan 1st week. Which part of India?

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    Omg... We'll be in Delhi for the first 2 weeks of december, and Bengaluru for the last two weeks -- trying to hit a lot of spots :) LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards