South Asian Weddings
Options

Need Menu Ideas for "Fusion" Wedding

FI and our families had our tasting a few weeks ago. That was when we decided that we wanted some more "American" style food to be added to our menu.

Does any one have ideas for "American" style appetizers? So far this is what we are thinking: bruschetta, spanikopita and something else?

What about a chicken dish for a main entree? The caterer has suggested a lemon herb chicken which I wasn't so fond of but there is always the option of a chicken marsala, too.

Any ideas? Oh and for a dessert, too. They had a mango mousse as the "American" style dessert, which was good, but I wanted to see if there are other ideas out there.

(The other half of the menu will be more traditionally desi.)
ExerciseMilestone

Re: Need Menu Ideas for "Fusion" Wedding

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bruschetta, spanikopita and...
    - vegetable salad
    - fruit salad
    - grilled cheese with grilled tomatoes
    - chinese spring rolls
    - spinach pinwheel sandwiches (but you already have spanikopita, so this might be out)
    - cucumber sandwiches (I admit, these are a bit British)
    - stuffed mushrooms
    - shot glasses filled with tomato soup, or pumpkin soup
    - hummus and pita chips
    - stuffed eggs

Main entree - lemon herb chicken or chicken marsala... either one works, what about some steamed veggies on the side?

Dessert -
    Yum for mango mousse! 
    - Gelato
    - Tapioca Pudding in shot glasses
    - icecream in chocolate cups
    - fresh fruit in chocolate cups or phyllo cups
    - cookies!
    - baklava

I saw this - difference between asian and american weddings... http://brideonashoestring.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/asian-weddings-vs-american-weddings/

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, KP!

I think we will already have a vegetable display with a "heavy fruit garnish" that our coordinator worked out with the caterer, so that's covered. We did have the spring rolls on our list, but they were really oily, so we passed on those. Maybe the stuffed mushrooms or the hummus would work. I'll see what FI thinks.

For dinner, maybe we will go with the chicken marsala with some steamed veggies like you said. It's going to be buffet style, so I want to be sure that there is something for everyone. I know I can't please everyone, but at least the majority :)

The link you posted is interesting, too. No slideshows for us, hah!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kpwedkk  recommended a lot of dishes already but since a lot of indians tend to vegetarians here is another one that was a hit at our wedding- vegetable empanada with avocado mouse..wish I had one of these!
  • Options
    amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a mix of African American & Indian foods so this is what we did. 

We had stuffed mushrooms, bruschetta, mac & cheese along with samosas, and aloo tikki for our apps. 

For our dinner, we had chicken tikka masala, bateta nu shaak, black-eyed peas, collard greens, chicken & sausage jambalaya, basmati rice & grilled veggies. It was served with naan & cornbread.

For dessert, we went the safe route & had chocolate covered strawberries & cookies.

People LOVED our fusion menu and everything went so well together. Just about anything you choose will go well together if you have a good caterer.

HTH
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do slideshows either :)  Some of our family and friends did a couple dances for entertainment purposes, it was a real riot!  We love them!

I agree spring rolls can be oily, have you thought about having them baked instead of fried?  They come out about the same, with less or hardly any oil :)  With some tamarind chutney, yum!

You gals are making me too hungry, and it's not even close to dinner time!!!  That avocado dish sounds too good :)

I know I've talked about our meals as well but here goes again - we did a Guyanese/Chinese/Indian/Italian fusion for the reception
    - appetizers were  (indian) vegetable samosas, and make your own chaat, salad and fruit,
    - dinner =
    -- pf changs (chinese) stir fried veggies  with brown rice,
    -- babbos (italian) asparagus and mushroom alfredo pasta and their homemade breadsticks,
    -- caterer (guyanese) for fried rice with veggies, chowmein with veggies, and tvp with garlic and onions (textured veggie protien), and for
    -- dessert - a plethora of indian sweets made the day of, including jalebi (without saffron, my absolute favorite), barfi, mithai, and red velvet and carrot cake already cut up and ready to serve,

in favor boxes we had caribbean black rum cake made by my mom, and diyas on the table... let's just say their was none of both at the end of the night, and we think some of the cake contributed to the drunkedness :)  Many laughs!!

and for the after wedding lunch we did a traditional 7 veggie curry + dalpuri, naan, puri (similar to batura, fully fried and must have unfortunately for all guyanese functions), rice, lemon rice, salad combo, with kheer for dessert.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the additional suggestions, Nicky and Amberly! I like the idea of the vege empanada. We thought about doing quesadillas since it would be easy to eat.

So it'll either be stuffed mushrooms or either the empanadas to fill in the last spot for the "American" food appetizers.
    ExerciseMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards