South Asian Weddings

Miami Vs. Houston

Hey,

FI and I will be going to Miami and Houston next month for about a week to each cities.  We are going to stat house hunting next year and before that happens we need to narrow down to which city we are going to start looking into and settle down in.  Beause of his work, we have narrowed down to 2 cities.  I have never been to either.  Do we have any knotties here living close by or around the area that can tell me the good and the bad?  If nothing else, I am excited to go and make a good vacation out of it. 

Re: Miami Vs. Houston

• edited December 2011
    Hi Hina!  I live in Houston and I really like it here.  I moved here 4 years ago, and initially it took a while to adjust to but it has definitely grown on me.  I am not sure where you will be moving from to see how Houston will compare.  Here are some pros:
    - Cost of living in unbeatable!  Your money goes a long way down south, especially when it comes to rent.  We have an enormous 2 bdrm, 2 bath apt for a very reasonable price.  Also food/drinks/shopping is a lot cheaper here..
    - Amazing Tex Mex!
    - Houston has grown a lot since I moved here and there are very cool places to eat, dine, drink, etc.  People here surprisngly get very dressed up to go out and very up to date with fashion
    - The weather (both a pro and con)...The only bad months are end of May-Sept.  The rest of the year is amazing!
    - If you want to buy a house and start a family, the suburbs are very nice and affordable

Cons:
    - The weather in the summer (very humid, but it's only 3 months)
    - No real form of public transportation.  You pretty much have to drive everywhere.  There is a light rail but its not very convenient to use
    - Things are pretty spread out...You have to drive everywhere
    - The traffic (depending on where you live)..
    - No beach (galveston is an hour away but the beach is not nice)

If you have any specific questions about Houston or know which area you are looking into (or need advice about that), let me know!  Goodluck narrowing down your search!
  • edited December 2011
    She pretty much got Houston down!

I would say try for cities like Sugarland or Missouri City. They are more of the "nicer" cities in the area. Or go near the Galleria area.
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks rsmehta and DFW!!! 

I am living in Chicago right now.  That was some great points.  If you guys can recommend what suburbs are nice to check out, please let me know.  I will keep Sugarland and Missouri City in mind. 

Thanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on where you all will be working.  If your husband's job is downtown, midtown, medical center, the drive from Sugarland can be tough (with traffic up to an hour, without traffic about 30 minutes).  Missouri City is near Sugarland, so a similar commute.  Pearland is a nice area and I have a lot of friends who are moving there now over Sugarland.  It's closer to the city, has great stores/restaurants, but still a nice suburb.  Not sure if you are religious, but they have a nice Hindu temple too (so does Sugarland).  Where will your husband be working?
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is a sailor, so we need a port city so even when he stops sailing, he can work with a shipping company.  But with his work right now, it is very flexible.   They just fly him to where the ship is.  We both are willing to take a long commute if it means we can get more property.  Both of us would at least like a lot of space and neighbors who are not close like you see in some suburbs, like literally lining up with each other.

• edited December 2011

Most of the suburbs of Houston offer you lots of space, good neighborhoods, and a lot for your money.  The ones I have heard are the best are: Pearland, Sugarland, Clearlake, and the Woodlands.  They are all about equal I would say.  You have a ton of options if you move to Houston because the suburbs are all great and it's a huge city.  If you would prefer to be near an airport to make FI"s work life easier, I would recommend Clearlake or the Woodlands because they are both near different airports in Houston.  Let me know if you come down to Houston and need more advice or a tour guide!  I'd be more than happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards