South Asian Weddings

Sweetheart Table

A while back, I posted the question of whether or not any of you are having a sweetheart table at your reception for just you and your hubby-to-be...but, I'm asking again as there are so many more women posting here now.

Are you guys having a sweetheart table at your reception or will you be sitting with your family at a head table?

Does anybody in your family object to this idea or find it hurtful or bothersome?

Does your fiance agree with the idea of sitting alone or not?

All the weddings my BF has ever been to in the UK (where he lives) have had a head table with family...and here, the sweetheart table is up and coming. So, we're not sure what to do...I like one idea, he is bent on another.

Re: Sweetheart Table

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_sweetheart-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:c3d00d6a-ee8c-4d3c-9538-9a874d8ed69bPost:9130c55c-73e4-417b-af67-f662ebd4e1b0">Sweetheart Table</a>:
    [QUOTE]A while back, I posted the question of whether or not any of you are having a sweetheart table at your reception for just you and your hubby-to-be...but, I'm asking again as there are so many more women posting here now. Are you guys having a sweetheart table at your reception or will you be sitting with your family at a head table?

<strong>I think I replied, but no harm :)  We had a sweetheart table, and had our parents sit at a table with additional table cloths for super fancyness.</strong>

Does anybody in your family object to this idea or find it hurtful or bothersome?

<strong>In the beginning, my mom took us sitting by ourselves to heart.  But we explained that we wanted to be on our own, it's that seperation that happened during the wedding - kanyadaan, so we wanted to sit by ourselves.  But, admittedly, no one really stayed at the tables for too long, we were more into the dancing.  I think just for the quick bites to eat, and the speeches were we really sitting by ourselves.</strong>

Does your fiance agree with the idea of sitting alone or not?

<strong>H2b at the time, wasn't sitting alone, he was sitting with me :)  Plus, in a room so large, we were all sitting, guests and all.  It helps to be a little bit apart, for photos with guests coming up, and us not having to wade through the tables to get out to the dance floor.</strong>

All the weddings my BF has ever been to in the UK (where he lives) have had a head table with family...and here, the sweetheart table is up and coming. So, we're not sure what to do...I like one idea, he is bent on another.
    Posted by SonaliPop[/QUOTE]

During the speeches as well, our guests wanted to see our reactions too, as much as we wanted to see our relatives speak on behalf of their families to express their well wishes, and heartfelt gratitude :)  Sitting at a head table with parents kind of takes away from that, in my opinion :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011

We are having a head table. Most weddings I've been to have it. Since we have a large wedding party we are having them sit right in front of us at a table for themselves.

No one thought it was rude it was just an extra day to kind of celebrate everyone. No one stays there long either. You are up and about all the time during the wedding.

Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're going to be doing a sweetheart table. Neither of us really like the idea of "being on display" but it's for uniformity's sake.  Our families are uneven and it would look akward, not to mention probably make some family members feel akward, so it'll just be the two of us.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also did a sweetheart table....FI and I wanted that from the getgo....

The families wanted something to make them stand out (so I think they were *slightly* offended) but they all gave in....

what I also found was during the reception the sweetheart table allowed guests to come say hi to us....i think with a large head table the couple then has to make the table rounds fsure but with the sweetheart table most guests end up coming to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards