South Asian Weddings

Bummed about no vows

I know when it's my time, when I'm finally engaged, we'll have a Hindu wedding. But I am bummed there's no western version of reciting vows out loud...not just standard vows meant for every Hindu wedding.

Did you guys put personal touches or recite vows of your own anyway from the mandap?

Re: Bummed about no vows

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did, there was a time that we both held the microphone, and said our vows to each other... in English, so everyone could understand...

I'm sure there's a place where you can incorporate the vows to each other, it's all about having a willing pandit/priest...

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    After much deliberation, R and I decided that the traditional ceremonies for our families' cultures just didn't "work" for us. So with his input along the way, I wrote our whole ceremony - there were parts of the Indian and Western ceremonies we loved, and some we didn't so much love. I kept what we wanted, tossed what we didn't, threw in some things from other cultures we liked, and came up with a ceremony we both loved that "fit" us.

Still haven't used it, but it's all written out and ready to go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We did recite vows, although not the traditional ones from western weddings when we did our ring exchange. We didn't have a different priest, the pandit was the one who also lead us through that part of the ceremony.

ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    We actually won't have our own vows either. Since it's a Catholic ceremony we have to say certain vows which are premade. I'm fine with it. I think if I did them myself I would cry or forget something or just not be able to get through it at all.
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a ring exchange but no vows during the hindu ceremony

During our reception and in our speach to each other we said "vow-like" things ...not the same I know but it was important to us to say those things to each other infront of our loved ones, family and friends
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_bummed-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:cb4e112e-9e1b-40ef-ac0c-ddf383f14ff6Post:be46fc3a-0fc5-49a1-88e1-89742e98f46f">Re: Bummed about no vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]We actually won't have our own vows either. Since it's a Catholic ceremony we have to say certain vows which are premade. I'm fine with it. I think if I did them myself I would cry or forget something or just not be able to get through it at all.
    Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]

Our wedding here was like this, and I was happy to not have to write vows.

I didn't understand most of our HIndu wedding, but it's my impression there is some flexibility.  When DH paid the priest ahead of time he told him no longer than 45 minutes and which parts should be included/excluded.  It was fine except for the time.  He ran to 1.5 hours because he decided DH had to translate the vows into English.  I think if I had wanted to speak or we wanted to exchange rings he would have been fine with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards