South Asian Weddings
Options

Dupatta help

Hello ladies! I am a christian bride getting married in a sari. My sari is being ordered through a local shop (in Tampa FL) and the boutique owner tells me that the sari's pallu can be used as a veil instead of a seperate dupatta as a veil. However, all of the pictures that I've seen of this there's no "train" per se. Even pics of bridal dupatta's aren't long enough to be a train. Is there any way that I can have a train wearing a sari? Is there a dupatta that I can find that's long enough?

Thanks!

Dallas

Re: Dupatta help

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There is no way (that I am aware of) to have a train while wearing a sari and I agree that the separate dupatta wouldn't be long enough to have a train either.

If you want a traditional veil, you might be better off ordering one that matches your sari. I've heard of this vendor on etsy that makes really beautiful veils: HoneyCombVeils

They also have a website: http://www.honeycombveils.com/

The "marigold mantilla veil" says it was inspired by Indian outfits, but I do know that she does custom work, too.

(I am in no way affiliated with honeycombveils, but I saw a bride from weddingbee wear a veil from them for her fusion wedding and I fell in love with them!)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

Ditto Raangoli!!  I have never seen a train with a sari, they can do it with a lengha but I haven't seen or heard of anything with a sari. 
  • Options
    meelabeelameelabeela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I used HoneyCombVeils to make my veil and she did a great job.  I really loved my veil and I got many compliments on it.  If you want to go the custom made route I'm sure she can make you a beautful veil. 

If you don't want to get something custom made, then, like BellsNRings said previously, find a ivory and red sari and get an ivory Western style veil that matches.  You can definitely find one that will be long enough to act as a train.  I've actually seen a few pictures of brides in saris with Western style veil and they looked really pretty.  Good luck!

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your engagement!

I didn't realize until I started looking at my pictures, but I had a second dupatta, that I used as a sort of veil, and it extended down my back... I'm sure you could find material to get a train, or a longer dupatta (I'm kind of envisioning at least 2 yards of material) and gte a seamstress/tailor to hem it on all sides.

Link

Link 2
    Link 3

The only issue that I can see, if the train is too long, and you do intend to circle the fire, the train of fabric will be a safety hazard.

Hope that helps!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with the the ladies that said that a Sari cannot really have a train.  You should consider a lengha.  My lengha had a train it (about 1.5 ft so very short) and the newer lenghas have a dupattas that are made of organza....which look similar to the veil material...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards