South Asian Weddings

hair styling equipment

I'm heading to India Friday for my daughter's wedding. I was planning on bringing a  curling iron, hot rollers and a blow dryer( you never know what you might need)
I have the adaptor plug, but I'm still not sure if they will work with the different current. Any help or advice would really be apprediated. I don't think the things I have are equipped with the voltage changer switch.

Re: hair styling equipment

• edited December 2011
    I would be skeptical if they will work. I remember trying to use my hair straightener there and it was a no go because of the voltage difference. Even using the voltage converter didn't work (in addition to the adaptor plugs.)

Since you have some time, maybe you can locate a hair dryer or curling iron that works on 220 voltage ?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    We use a converter and it works fine. We bring our blow dryer and straighter, both worked. Thank goodness!
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... where in India is the wedding?  If it's in a city or good-sized town, I would suggest just making an appointment in a salon.  For our receptions in cities I went to salons and they did everything, hair, makeup, and sari (if you're planning to wear one).  I didn't like the makeup much but the hair was fine.  In fact I got it blown out in Kolkata where it was really humid and I have very curly hair and the blow out lasted for days.  I used the Lakme salon because my SIL likes it, but my friend prefers L'Oreal.  You would find those both in cities.  You can also find pricier salons in bigger hotels which might be convenient if you just want your hair done.

My ILs live in a small, rural place.  There is one paved road in their town, so no salon.  Electricity is unreliable, so I didn't even try taking a hair drier, and just wore my hair natural for the reception there.  But in a place like that also there won't be an expectation that you're all done up.
  • edited December 2011
    Bangladesh has the same voltage.  I used my hairdryer and curling iron from the states sans converter and they worked without any problems but got super hot.  (probably not a smart move)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards