Now, there IS a small possibility that a closer teaching job will call him back and none of what I'm about to tell you will happen, but in all likelihood, FI's dad is a few weeks away from signing a contract with the Hernando County school system as a teacher. This is about an hour and a half commute one way from where they currently live, and driving three hours a day just isn't practical for him. So FFIL and FMIL are planning to move up there. They're looking for one bedroom apartments up there, and they don't want to sell the house. Also, it would require quite a bit of rearranging lives - FI, his brother DJ, and the friend of ours who is living there now (J) would all need to find a new place to live.
To prevent all that hassle, FI and fam haggled things out and came up with a plan. When FI's parents move up to Hernando County, Kidlet and I will move into the house with FI, J, and DJ. The four of us adults are to collectively pay for the rent (and, I think, utilities) for the parents' apartment, and they will continue to pay the mortgage and utilities for the house. This is because the mortgage and house utilities are already in their names, and this way they don't have to transfer anything to any of us. They plan to come back to the house on weekends, but during the week it just isn't doable to drive all that distance, and FFIL understandably doesn't want to live apart from his wife. Once FFIL has been employed by Hernando County for a year, maybe two, he can transfer back to our county if any jobs are available, and they can move back.
His parents are not thrilled about us living together before we're married, but they also don't want us to get married "for the wrong reasons." Not sure what the logic is behind that, since we've been engaged for 7 months already and this plan was hatched five hours ago. FI and I are currently trying to decide if it would be best to just do the courthouse wedding thing now and have the big wedding later, or wait and do it all at once. I'd rather elope now and have the wedding later, but FI is torn on it, so we have some discussing to do. We also have some basic moving logistics to handle; Kidlet is on Supplemental Security Income due to his disability, so once we move that has to be reported. (Another reason to get married now - I can get all that stuff handled at once. Until Kidlet turns 18 I'm the caretaker for his SSI stuff and if we move or I get married, the living/income arrangements change and I have to report that.)
Also, there will have to be some discussions at my house. Mostly transportation for my youngest sister, N, who will be 16 in a little over a month. My mom can't afford a car for her right now. I'm currently N's primary transportation. We may be able to work that out, because Kidlet's school is near N's school and their start and end times are similar, so I could probably manage her school stuff still. But some financial stuff will need working out too - I share some bills with my mom, and moving out/getting married will affect those.
So, yeah. There's that, then. I'm happy, thrilled, even. The logistocs need handling, but I'm pretty sure we'll get it all covered.