Offbeat Weddings

Need creative ideas to have kids involved in wedding...

This is my 2nd marriage and would like the kids to be involved but looking for something unique. My 12 year old mentioned wanting to carry my train down the aisle, but didn't care for that idea (didn't tell him that) so wanting other ideas. At least want the 12 and 7 year old boys in it and possibly the adult son as well.

I appreciate any ideas! Thx!!

Re: Need creative ideas to have kids involved in wedding...

• edited November 2012
    I've seen photos where children carry a sign down the aisle that says, "here comes the bride" but typically the children seem to be flower girl/ring bearer ages so I'm not sure if a 7 or 12 year old boy would be interested in that. 

You could have them in your bridal party and stand next to you while you get married.

They could all do a short reading; maybe find some fun poems about love from Dr. Seuss or something? The 12 year old could maybe help pick his own piece so that he feels involved and I'm sure the adult son could pick something nice himself.

The youngest could be your groom spotter on the day and help to make sure that the groom doesn't see you before the wedding. He might feel like a spy helping to make sure the "target" is safe from sight. You could come up with code words to signal it's all clear and perhaps use walkie talkies so the 12 year old can be with the groom, (he might enjoy seeing the adult men get ready and get to hang out), and the 7 year old is with you and they can communicate back and forth about "whats going on, over."

Sorry if the ideas are silly or not useful; I'm not really sure how into weddings boys are. 
  • One of the girls on my month board did a 'family unity' ceremony instead of the typical unity ceremony. It was a sand ceremony but had 4 different colours of sand with all 4 members of the family involved instead of just 2.
  • I love the Walkie Talkie idea. I might just have to pick up some for day of to do that with anyway, regardless of the fact we have no children, I think my friends would get a kick out of that. Awesome idea Fluffy
  • My son (9 years) will be giving me away. My Fi's daughter (12 years) is my maid of honor and his son (16 years) will be his best man.

No one else will be part of the bridal party... just our family of 5.

I am also planning on asking my future daughter to read a letter that I wrote to my Fi's mother. She passed away 20 years ago, so it will be a tribute to her.

We are also doing a familiy unity, using 5 colors of sand.

All in all, each of the kdis will have their own special role and understand that its not just a marriage between two people... its a marriage of 5!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards