Washington-Seattle

DIY Invitations

So, we are going to DIY our inviations. I was wondering if you guys are doing that and where you are getting your paper from?

I remember lots of 2010 brides did DIY invites but I can't remember where they said they got their paper. I went to Paper Zone today and they have pretty good prices. I just wanted to see if there were any other stores you knew of....Also, I remember Sarack used a stamp and I can't remember where she got it at either....

We were also thinking about creating our own pocketfolds because it really is pretty simple to do....and I think it might be cheaper. Any thoughts? They say to buy like 20x26 paper. Know where to get that? Or know a place with cheap pocketfolds?

TIA!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: DIY Invitations

• ckonidakckonidak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I'm not DIY-ing because I suck at arts-and-crafts, but I did research it for a bit in case we ended up doing them ourselves. I would spend a bit of time in your local Impress Stamp store (I know there's one by U-Villiage and one in Bellevue). They have paper and can help you work out DIY invite details, but also, they have a fantastic selection of wedding-themed stamps to help give your invites a bit of pizzaz.  Also, for paper, I was planning on using Paperandmore.com because I've heard they have the best customer service and pricing, but you could also check out Cardsandpockets.com. I know there's another store in Bellevue at the corner of 8th and Bellevue Ave, but I dont know the name of it.  Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We ended up printing a DIY kit from Michael's and for us, it was good. Super easy, but it wasn't the best quality ever. However, invitiations were not high on my priority list. We've gotten lots of compliments on them though!

I did look into cardsandpockets.com and it seemed like they had reasonable prices for pocketfolds :o)
    Anniversary
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm DIYing invites (going to start making them THIS weekend, eek!).  Check out the the Invites and Paper message board, that is extremely helpful.  I'm using the invite template that squirrelly (the Mod there) posted in her bio, she got married this summer and her DIY is so inspiring!

I bought my supplies at Cards & Pockets.  The customer service is wonderful, and very helpful to make sure you get what you want.  I ordered color samples first, then I ordered a sample pocketfold set so I could see how the invite will look with all the colors I envisioned w/o having to buy all the supplies at once, and then I bought all my supplies in mid-October when they were having a big 20% off sale.

Here's what I bought from Cards & Pockets (prices included):
    :

Signature PocketFold
    Sparkling Sapphire (Metallic)

(Qty: 75 x $1.38)

Cream Puff Cardstock
    (25 Pack)
    8.5x11 Sheets

(Qty: 3 x $4.00)

Smooth & Metallic
    Invitation Mats
    5 7/8 x 5 7/8, No Assembly, No Rounded Corners

(Qty: 75 x $0.18)

Product Questions:

Choose Color:: Spearmint (Smooth)

5.25 x 7.25 Envelope
    European-Flap, Champagne (metallic)

Product Part #: A7 European Flap

(Qty: 75 x $0.17)

3 5/8 x 5 1/8 RSVP Envelope
    European-Flap, Spearmint

Product Part #: RSVP

(Qty: 75 x $0.12)

Subtotal: $150.75

Total Price Discounts: $30.15

Tax: $0.00

S&H: $17.44

Final Total: $138.04

OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I orginally ordered the wrong invite mats (as you can see in the order) and I received an email from customer service of C&P THE SAME DAY:

Hi, Mallory!  Thanks for your order!   This is a courtesy email regarding a size discrepancy I noticed on your order.  The mats you've requested are square (5 7/8 x 5 7/8) and therefore will not fit within the pocketfolds and mailing envelopes you've ordered, both of which are rectangular.   Please let me know if you need us to make an adjustment or just send the order as is.  Thanks!   Kindly...
    kayla :)
    I LOVE Cards & Pockets!

OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • edited December 2011
    I can't wait to make my DYI invites, but seeing as our reception/wedding are two years away I have plenty of time.  I love paper crafts and have made invites for several functions.

My suggest:   KEEP IT SIMPLE.   Although the rubber stamps are super cute, it is extremely had to get the to look consistant.  I have made all sorts of invites with friends, including a message in the bottle.  How many people that you're going to invited will actually keep your invite as a keepsake (besides you of course).  As much as I love looking at invites and receiving them, is it really a part of the wedding most will remember.

I will be using a white (linen?) paper with black printed information inserted into a brightly coloted, folded card type think.  I am still thinking about using decortive scissors for the edges and/or ribbon.  I like the paper zone, but my sister found her invited paper online.

hope this is helpful,
    carly
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!

I checked out everything and ended up buying paper from paper zone this weekend as they had a 25% off everything sale. I did end up buying some rubber stamps too, but I intend on using those for all our paper goods.

We shall see what happens. I might end up regretting this super diy design, but oh well. I probably could have made it much simpler, but it should be good.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I DIY my invites (PIB) and they cost about 130 with postage.. i mailed out 75 invites. I bough the pocketfold at cardsandpockets.com, most of the paper from paperzone (wait for their sales, you can get major deals) and the stamp/ink from a Impress in Tukwila. It is a fun process, GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • edited December 2011

I wouldn't do my own pocketfolds... but that is just because I'm to crazy about something being wrong or folding wrong or whatever.. i just waited for places to have sales and then i purchased.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • edited December 2011
    We'll be DIY invitations as well, but are planning on keeping it simple.  The fun part is my FI is the one who wants to do them!  Still need to check out paper and design, so appreciate the comments and OP.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards