Offbeat Weddings

non-white dresses?

Hi Offbeat Brides!
Do any of you have non-white bridal gowns?  I bought a dress that I LOVE - BHLDN, Rosewater Parfait.  It is rose colored or maybe taupe.  The dress presents some unique challenges - not only is it not white, but it also is sheer from just above the knee, down.

My problem is that I'm having a hard time accessorizing.  I am thinking of a belt, a veil and maybe a trumpet slip.  I was considering dyeing the veil and slip to match the dress, but now I am wondering if maybe I can keep all the accessories white.

I would love feedback and I would love to see pictures of other non-white dresses and how they were accessorized.

Thanks!

Re: non-white dresses?

• I really, REALLY wanted a light blue wedding dress, but I couldn't find one anywhere that was formal enough for me, so I went with white.  However, had I found a blue one, I would have had white accessories.  Maybe find some shoes to match the colour though? 
    Your dress sounds really beautiful.  I think it sounds nice even without a slip, but that is personal preference - if you really want a slip, I think that sounds beautiful too.

• I'm so jealous that you found a colored dress! I have been trying to hunt one down for 6 months! I would say maybe do the veil in an off white color, maybe eggshell, just something to dull the white down a bit so it will blend a little bit better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies.  I posted this on the attire message board and got feedback that leaving the accessories white might look cheap.  Something I'll keep in mind. 

Baber, I totally recommend BHLDN!  They have some really nice dresses in the bridesmaid dresses but they also have a few colored wedding dresses.  One of my favorites is even on sale - the sweet tea gown.  I also like the Snowdonia dress.  I ordered online and bought the same size I wear in a normal dress and it fits perfectly.  No alterations needed!
  • lol. I couldn't find a pink dress I loved so I'm making it. It's tulle and amazing. I wanted to feel like a wood nymph for my tiny outdoor wedding. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_non-white-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:6623018d-1d60-45f7-817e-43294a95b650Post:e373c28a-f8ac-4603-954f-b1e3738ee583">Re: non-white dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol. I couldn't find a pink dress I loved so I'm making it. It's tulle and amazing. I wanted to feel like a wood nymph for my tiny outdoor wedding. 
    Posted by anssett[/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome!  I hope you'll share pictures when you're done!  Feeling like a Wood Nymph sounds like a noble goal!
  • This is a friend of mine who had a pink dress and still did a white veil. I don't think it looks cheap at all.
  • My dress is going to be a wisteria blue-grey color, with ecru lace edged Marie Antoinette style "Rococco" period sleeves, and dyed to match Rococco period shoes with bows.  I've asked for the seamstress who is making it to do the petticoat in layers of pale blue, metallic gold, and silver metallic tulle.  My rings are white gold. I'm going have an off white tulle veil with gold metallic lace edging/embroidery.  I'd attach an image but as it's being custom made I don't have any image yet.  Here's the fabric color though. :)

I think for pale pink/taupe you should consider rose gold jewelry accents, and bronze or copper metallic shoes.  I'd look for shoes on zappos.com or etsy.  I'd also look for gold lace for the veil.  Etsy has two or three veil designers who have gold veils.  If you can present a swatch here (image of the color or dress) I could help you find accessories - I have a Fashion Design degree and would be happy to offer ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards