Offbeat Weddings
Options

Wedding Inspiration

What initially inspired your offbeat wedding? What inspired you to step away from the 'normal' and do your own thing? Where did you originally get your ideas from? Share your story :

Re: Wedding Inspiration

• Options
    What initially inspired your offbeat wedding? 
    Fi and I are both the typeof people who hate normalcy. By the time he asked me to marry him (or to be more accurate by the time i realized he had asked me three times lol) we were both obseesed with doctor who. 

What inspired you to step away from the 'normal' and do your own thing?
    As I said before i hate normal anything. I really thought (and fi agreed) that wedding should be about us not all the millions of other people who got married before us and decided what this day should be like...

Where did you originally get your ideas from?
    Amy ponds wedding at the end of season 6. I wanted to have a very tasteful weddingy wedding where only fans would see the doctor who touches... such as the tardis guestbook and things of that nature...

It sort of ran away from us but i like it anyways
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I don't know that there was something in particular that "inspired" being offbeat.  Honestly our wedding is pretty traditional, overall.  There were things we didn't want to do though, like a lot of the traditional stuff that people generally don't like.  That's why we opted to skip the head or sweetheart table, skip the uncomfortable dances, the tosses and such.  The day is about celebrating and enjoying, not about putting anyone on the spot. 
    The Day of the Dead details come from a few places-we love fall and wanted to have an October or November wedding, so 11/2 worked out great.  We both like the DOTD traditional art and celebration, so we decided to incorporate it just a tiny bit into a few of the wedding details without it becoming a theme.
  • Options
    I suppose I should be answering too haha... oops!

After FI proposed we were staying at a hotel on Mackinac Island and we went to enjoy the hottub at the hotel. You can see my tattoo fully in any type of bathing suit, so that started the topic of discussing my father and what would make me feel like he was close.

FI suggested we do a DW  up to the Muskoka region as every summer I used to go camping up there with my dad and feel close to him in that area, so that started the search for a venue which lead us to the resort. I also said that I wanted to do a single red rose somewhere atleast to make me feel like he's there.... I placed red roses at his grave for every holiday/anniversary/etc and when I moved away I got the tattoo with the red rose as a way of honouring that. It went from there to a full blown red rose theme.

The rest of it, as PP said, was just a matter of us not wanting the 'cookie cutter' wedding. I have always been SO far from being a girly girl, so getting into the white dress with diamonds and flash was not me at all. I did want to wear my mother's dress, but added plenty of black accents to be more 'me'. Making almost everything myself. I just want something that represents us and is a fun time :)
  • Options
    For us I don't think it was so much an inspiration to step away from the 'normal' more just who we are individually and as a couple. Nothing about us in 'normal' by any standards or labels.

I guess what really started it was our engagement. We got "engaged" in a graveyard (same one we're actually going to be married in!) and it wasn't even the he-got-down-on-one-knee-and-asked-for-my-hand-in-marriage type thing. We just started talking about it. and agreed that we knew we wanted to spend our life together.

We were going to do an art gallery wedding at first: we both do photography, i'm a poet, and sometimes we dabble in painting so we thought we could put up our work blah blah. But the more we thought about that, we knew that wasn't our type of wedding. I'm not (as BMcLeod said) a girly-girl at all, and neither of us are into todays ideas of parties (we're straight-edge) So we've opted for a small elopement in said graveyard before spending the week in DC. 

We choose the graveyard because it's just us. We got engaged there, we love going there, and in a way it signifies our love beyond death (corny right? haha). It just works. We're doing the Irish Loving Cup ceremony because I am Irish, and he really appreciates that part of my heritage. The wording of the ceremony is perfect: it speaks about the "anam cara" or soul friend and how you are entering into a partnership with them which is "ancient and eternal," which combined with the series of vows that the couple exchange; breathtaking, it is as if we wrote them.  

As far as DC goes, I think that's a pretty offbeat honeymoon. Most people are like "YEAH THE BAHAMAS" or some other tropical place or even ship on over to europe. Well, we can't afford that and we aren't really beach people any plus again, we can't afford europe/have the time for that. DC is more us because we can go and see all the historical stuff, the museums, and but still kick back and relax when we want in a nice hotel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our wedding will be pretty traditional with an offbeat theme. FI and I connected over our mutaul love for all things Harry Potter. Our first official date was to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part one . When we started thinking about what our wedding would be like I asked FI what he wanted jokingly he said Harry Potter. I found pictures of a Harry Potter themed wedding through google, when I showed them to FI his eyes lit up you would think I had just handed him a Hogwarts acceptance letter. Our inspiration has come from the harry potter weddings we looked at. 

Like PP we do not want a cookie cutter wedding. Hopefully after my massive lists of DIY's is through and I see how all our ideas come together it works.

Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    SatchkatSatchkat member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I just wanted to marry the dude - and love is what we want to celebrate, not concentrating at things that are just the accessories to the wedding. We wanted to stay true to ourselves, so the wording for STDs and invites is very casual and funny. We wanted an elegant, yet casual celebration of devoting to each other, and that's what we're having. We don't have a theme, just a colour scheme and that's that. Having said that, the colours are only applicable to us and the MoH/Best Man/flowers, everything else is white/however it comes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Growing up in a family of feminists (one aunt got married in brown, one got married in her parents house with only her parents there, my parents were never technically engaged..they 'came to a mutual agreement that they should get married' - had a small wedding), most dont beleive in big traditional weddings so even if I wanted one most wouldnt get it and I would never hear the end of it (a father walking down the aisle comes from a sexist idea of a woman being property, my grandma was known for being the first one in her community to take the to obey line out of the vows, almost all my cousins have kept thier own last names), and would get a lot of flack about how money could be used in better ways (that I totally agree with), so we really just wanted to make it fun and make it us, so its a very casual wedding, thats inspired by hiking and camping and things we think are fun (pinatas........etc)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    We met in Boy Scout Camp, he actually proposed in the camp four years later on our anniversary. We're not a fancy pair at all but we wanted to have a day of celebration with our families all the same. So I've got a big white dress and we're getting married in a church and all that but the little touches are all very much "us." No big wedding cake- cupcakes for us (my FI would actually love if I made the cupcakes because I make amazing vegan cupcakes!) We're having dried flowers for our bouqets- he's never given me flowers and it seemed odd to spend a thousand dollars to have them now (he gave me a rose bush when I finally got my license and I still have it almost two years later!) I like that I can save my dried flowers and I love the look of it. We're getting married on a weekday for a couple of reasons- the day happens to be our fifth anniversary, it was cheaper and we are likely to have a smaller turnout, and it was easy to book for a summer wedding in the NYC area within the year. Our HIstorical Hall site is beautiful and unique and I absolutely love it- a real budget bride find that I adore :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Our wedding will have an off beat theme with some traditional things thrown in there. 

We are a little older, I'm 39 and he is 51. This is his 3rd marriage, his 3 kids are in the wedding, as well as his 3 grandchildren. This is my second engagement. I called off my first one 7 months before the big day, best decision I ever made.

With all that being said, we are having a Snow White themed wedding for 2 reasons: 1) I love Disney esp. Snow White, it goes back to my Nana having a book made when I was little with my name in it with Snow White & the Dwarfs. And 2) we got engaged at Disney's Halloween Party as Snow White and Prince Charming while we were having our picture taken with the Evil Queen in front of the castle. 

The day is about me and my FI becoming husband and wife. I want it to be fun, relaxing and memorable because that is how he makes me feel everyday of my life...

DIStickers.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards