Offbeat Weddings

Get to Know You!

I've noticed a few new faces around, so I think its time for another Get To Know You thread!

Your name/Your FI/DH's name:
How did you meet:
How did he propose:
Wedding date:
Favourite hobby/pasttime:
What do you do for a living:

Re: Get to Know You!

• Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Britt/Jano
    How did you meet: We each owned a business and were attending the same conferences. He thought I was married at first, luckily we cleared that up lol
    How did he propose: He proposed on his birthday at Fort Mackinac. We were up on one of the lookout posts where they do the cannon demonstrations lol
    Wedding date: Sept 22/12
    Favourite hobby/pasttime: I am a musician (saxophone), a martial artist (GoJu-Ryu), a gym rat and I crochet... a little bit of an eclectic mix lol
    What do you do for a living: Insurance Broker and Small Business Owner
  • JJYour name/Your FI/DH's name: Elissa/ Tyler

How did you meet: A mutual friend invited me to a pig roast/ keg party.., I don't drink beer or eat pork ha ha.. He also thought I was taken but we cleared that up too :)

How did he propose: Halloween is my all time fave day and we always went to this pumpkin patch. So he took me there, got us lost in the corn maze so we could be alone and asked!

Wedding date: June 28, 2014 (our 6 year anniversary)

Favourite hobby/pasttime: I love sports. Play at least 3 competitively (for adults anyways..) over the summer. I used to be really into music (performing, concerts, etc) but life has gotten a little busy unfortunately..  I'm also a book junkie.. Currently working on finishing Stephen Kings' life works lol

What do you do for a living: I'm a kinesiologist but was in school for Chiropractic... Hopefully will be going back soon!
  • Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Rachel and Dave

How did you meet: Match.com

How did he propose: On accident, cuddling on the couch watching a NASCAR race. I wrote a longer version in my post on the sticky.

Wedding date: 11/03/2013

Favourite hobby/pasttime: Video games, if I have time

What do you do for a living: Currently in my 3rd year of medical school
    Anniversary

• Your name/Your FI/DH's name:  Madeira Darling and D 
    How did you meet:  Okcupid, I searched world wide for people who liked the wrtier "Poppy Z. Brite" and this GORGEOUS guy popped up.  It was love at first sight.
    How did he propose:   We're waiting on our "real" proposal, but we're planning to do our legal marriage really soon so we can cohabitate and plan the real wedding.
    Wedding date: Not sure
    Favourite hobby/pasttime:  Writing or reading
    What do you do for a living:  I'm a professional dominatrix, amusingly enough.  My intended is a cartoonist.
    Memente Via
  • Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Dawn & P

How did you meet: 2 of our friends pestered us until we eventually went out. They had tried to set me up twice before & the guys were total losers, so I was a little hard to convince at first.

How did he propose: at a waterfall after a hike in Haleakala Nat'l Park on Maui

Wedding date: 9/10/11

Favourite hobby/pasttime: I teach dance & still dance occasionally, I also spin fire & hula hoop, knit, garden & make jewelry

What do you do for a living: certified legal asst. by day, dance teacher at night
  • anssettanssett member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012

Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Anssett & Loverboy

How did you meet: social space for people who like to build stuff. I dated his good friend (who I met there) for 6ish months before it became clear that Guy1 was really better as a friend and Loverboy was much more my speed. 

Wedding date: April 2013 - when the cherry trees are blooming 

Favourite hobby/pasttime: sing, dance, build stuff for fun (electronics, mechanical), read/watch non-fiction about science & the world

What do you do for a living: scientist, engineering, entrepeneur
  • Your name/Your FI/DH's name:  Miranda/ Jarrod

How did you meet: In a college CPR class.

How did he propose: On a hike through a local park. I mentioned how the trail we were walking on looked like something out of a book. The trees were forming arches around us and the fall colors were just so beautiful. He popped the question right then and there.

Wedding date: July 27, 2013

Favourite hobby/pasttime: my part-time job as a peer mentor to new freshmen and crafting things I find on pinterest. I also might be mildly addicted to the internet.

What do you do for a living: I'm still in college, getting my degree in Chemistry. He's attending medical school.
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Ashley & Steve

How did you meet: Through friends.

How did he propose: On the beach in Mexico

Wedding date: August 24, 2013

Favourite hobby/pasttime: Hiking/backpacking, Dirtbiking, Snowmobling

What do you do for a living: I work in HR full time & am in school in the evenings to get my designation

• I don't post that often, but I am planning an offbeat wedding, and I do lurk daily.

Your name/Your FI/DH's name:
    Theresa & Dan

How did you meet:
    We met through mutual friends in high school

How did he propose:
    He didn't, I did. It was leap day and I was sick as could be and in my medicated state I proposed while in my pajamas and half asleep.

Wedding date: June 21, 2013

Favourite hobby/pasttime: Sewing/crafting

What do you do for a living:I am a purchasing agent.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tlanute, I love your proposal story. Too funny.

danielm18-I keep telling my BF she needs to take CPR! Every time I get re-certified it's filled with cute firefighters & river guides. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_get-to-know-you-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:8883f6b3-9880-4c86-a600-e3e476ff7efdPost:464d7ac1-8aa7-4ab2-9789-e6062741b0f1">Re: Get to Know You!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't post that often, but I am planning an offbeat wedding, and I do lurk daily. Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Theresa & Dan How did you meet: We met through mutual friends in high school How did he propose: He didn't, I did. It was leap day and I was sick as could be and in my medicated state I proposed while in my pajamas and half asleep. Wedding date: June 21, 2013 Favourite hobby/pasttime: Sewing/crafting What do you do for a living:I am a purchasing agent.
    Posted by Tlanute[/QUOTE]

Love the story!
    Glad to see you come out of lurkerdom! Hope to see you posting on here more often and get to know you more :)
  • Hey Everyone!

Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Lindsey / Nick
    How did you meet: We met when he applied to work at the haunted house I've worked at for 10 years; I was the casting assistant and I helped him fill out his paperwork. As he was leaving, he told me that if I wanted to get his number out of his file and call him sometime, that was ok with him.
    How did he propose: I was heading out of town for a girls weekend with my 3 gay bff's and he put the ring on my travel bag when I went back to the closet for something I had forgotten. He said he couldn't let me leave town without nailing me down first!
    Wedding date: March 24, 2013
    Favourite hobby/pasttime: Haunted house acting, making costumes, reading
    What do you do for a living: I raise money for a nonprofit that serves kids with cancer and their families.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your name/Your FI/DH's name: Rachel/Dan
    How did you meet: We met at Boy Scout camp where we were both counselors. He worked in Field Sports and I worked in Handicrafts. 
    How did he propose: We were at camp (Dan was working that summer and I was visiting him for our four-year anniversary.) After we went out for dinner, I gave him a little something I had picked up and reminded him that he didn't need to get me a gift. He was in the middle of the woods and didn't have much free time but he said he had until midnight. I didn't give it any thought. Later we were walking back to the car, he paused, got down on one knee and popped the question! Afterwards I noticed it was a few minutes before midnight.
    Wedding date: August 8, 2012 (Our five year anniversary)
    Favourite hobby/pasttime: Animal care and welfare (H and I have two cats, a rabbit, and a snake) and cooking
    What do you do for a living: I'm an Assistant Teacher at a preschool for special needs students
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards