Offbeat Weddings

frustrations with bridal salons

I had a heck of a time finding a dress i liked in bridal salons.  I didn't know what I wanted, but I knew what I DID NOT want.
-no pouf
-no train
-needs thick straps or cap sleeves
-not a lot of bedazzlement
simple

surprisingly, that was nearly impossible to find.  i ended up choosing to wear a vintage dress but just recently changed my mind about it.  i went back out to try buying a new dress...i found a really nice one online that is pretty much my dream dress!  not a single salon carried it becuase it's not a typical dress.  i had to order it from a certain store and the sales woman said to me "now i know it's a destination wedding, but where are you going?"  i said i'm getting married locally, but she had assumed it was a DW because my dress is classified  as 'casual/beach/destination". 

i wondered if anyone else here had similar dress frustrations?

btw-here is my dress...i certainly wouldn't call it casual.

Re: frustrations with bridal salons

• I think it's beautiful! Some people just can't get in through their heads that more and more people are chosing to express themselves via their wedding. And that can mean that people don't want the princess look or full out tuxes. To each their own
  • so true.  we went to pick out suits on the weekend and i was just as frustrated that all the stores in my area have about 6 'tuxedos' to rent...none of them are slim fitting and all come with awful accesories.
  • Your dress is gorgeous, love it!! I ordered mine on etsy because I knew the bridal salons would not be fun.
  • edited June 2012
    I LOOOVE your dress.  And honestly, I don't say that very often. I could never wear it because I don't have the body that you must have, but, it would be nice if you could actually see something like that in person. I went to 4 stores before finding one I even liked. I ended up getting it even though it is strapless which I definitely do not want. I'll have to have a seamstress do something with the top of it with the extra material I am expecting at the hem. I didn't want to have to do that, but it is the only dress I found that I liked right away (besides the strapless part). And it's not like I can put the rest of my life on hold while I scour the globe for a dress. I understand that other people have different taste than me so stores should carry the dresses you are talking about which I think are gaudy. I do not understand why they would eliminate classic, pretty dresses from their inventory. I also don't understand why 99.9% of dresses are strapless. There is nothing wrong with wearing a strapless dress if it suits you, but why is everybody supposed to wear one? We have been overrun by strapless dresses that are full of appliques, feathers, large amounts of lace and flare out at the bottom. The classic, elegant look has practically disappeared and been replaced by trendy styles. I wonder whose idea that was and why we are all expected to abide by it. I think your dress is very elegant and beautiful. It certainly isn't casual if you ask me. I think it is a good thing that you won't be wearing the current wedding uniform.
  • LOVE IT. Who is the designer if you do not mind me asking.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • The bridal salons go to shows and study "what's in style", they buy their inventory and then they need to sell it. They aren't into your unique style or the fact that you want what you want. The truth is that when you grandchildren see your wedding pictures in 30+ years, you'll want to see you confident and happy in the dress you picked, not the one the sales person convinced you to buy.
    NeedWeddingFavors.com - A blog of wedding favors
  • To each their own Maryritaw.. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that others here don't plan to wear something like that or love that style. No need to bash those dresses. Makes it no better than the bridal consultants who judge non-traditional or modern dresses...
  • That dress is stunning and elegant.  There are always going to be those who don't understand wanting something different from current norms/trends and who don't hesitate to express their opinions.

Recently, my step-sister's mom (not my step-mom, my step-dad's ex-wife) took FI and I out for dinner to celebrate our engagement.  She is a jeweler and when she saw my ring, she said I was "weird" because we chose moissanite and purple sapphire rather than diamond and that for the price we could have had a real diamond rather than a fake one.  I said I was happy with my real moissanite and that I took being called weird a compliment.  Now, she wasn't being malicious with her remarks, she just couldn't relate to the choice FI and I made with the engagement ring.

• i hate being the centre of attention so maybe that's why i don't like the 'normal' wedding dresses.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_frustrations-with-bridal-salons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:91e1f4f8-b0b1-41cb-876c-b3a85647fa88Post:36fe882d-dbb2-4c2f-9504-81a5ad402490">Re: frustrations with bridal salons</a>:
    [QUOTE]i hate being the centre of attention so maybe that's why i don't like the 'normal' wedding dresses. JessieR933 :  my dress is by impression bridal ( <a href="http://www.impressionbridal.com/collections.php?cat=31&p=2)." rel="nofollow">http://www.impressionbridal.com/collections.php?cat=31&p=2).</a>
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]
    I hate to say it, but you may not be able to avoid being the center of attention in that dress - MEOW.
  • I have been blown away at how snarky the workers in these shops can be. 
    Make jokes. No stress. Love. Live. Life. Proceed. Progress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_frustrations-with-bridal-salons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:91e1f4f8-b0b1-41cb-876c-b3a85647fa88Post:fb28102d-fb7c-454e-a54b-aa45ec631b19">Re: frustrations with bridal salons</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: frustrations with bridal salons : <strong>I hate to say it, but you may not be able to avoid being the center of attention in that dress - MEOW</strong>.
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]

hahahaha, that's funny:)  hopefully my fiance will have the same reaction!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_frustrations-with-bridal-salons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:91e1f4f8-b0b1-41cb-876c-b3a85647fa88Post:fb28102d-fb7c-454e-a54b-aa45ec631b19">Re: frustrations with bridal salons</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: frustrations with bridal salons : I hate to say it, but you may not be able to avoid being the center of attention in that dress - MEOW.
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]

Hahaha awesome! Its a gorg dress for sure!!
  • Your dress is elegant and beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That dress is absolutely stunning- and I'm sure it will look gorgeous on you!  Don't let your experience with the bridal shop color your feeling about the dress.  Just think of how beautiful you will look. :) 
    "You're not my life but you're the one I want to spend it with. You're not my world but you're the best thing in it."
  • I went to more than one salon asking for a dress without a train and found 1, only 1, example to try on. I was really disappointed. That was for wedding 1. I'm on wedding 2 now and think I'm going to look for a prom dress. I want something really fun, but not wedding crazy idea of fun. and I HATE trains!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards