Offbeat Weddings
Options

Lookin for a whole lotta ideas!

Like a few brides on this board, my FI and I are also having a morning wedding serving breakfast. But! That has not been the tough part about planning my wedding. We are having a rainy morning in Ireland theme (we have always loved the rain and are, surprise, Irish) and are definitely in need of some new ideas regarding how to incorporate this theme into the decor of both the ceremony and reception because it is so specific. We have figured out the centerpieces, colors and cake, but we could still use all the input we can get from you! Thank you so so much!

Re: Lookin for a whole lotta ideas!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Such an interesting theme idea! I would have never thought of that, and you're right, it is pretty specific.

The most obvious thing to me is to find a way to incorporate umbrellas and Wellies (Wellington rainboots). And maybe some green Irish grass, if you can. The beautiful Irish grass doesn't get that green without all the rain!

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not much help. What are your colors and centerpieces, just out of curiosity?
  • Options
    That's such a unique theme, I love it. Can you share what you have so far, that might help us better understand the feeling you're going for!

I went to one wedding where the bridesmaids carried these pretty umbrellas instead of flowers and that made for beautiful pictures :)
  • Options
    Yes we are definitely going to use umbrellas!  =) Despite our Irish theme, we didn't pick green as one of our colors because a) we wanted to stay away from the expected and b)our flowers are going to be mostly greenery as a different way to incorporate green. Our colors are sapphire blue, canary yellow, and silver. (blue for rain, yellow for sunshine, silver for clouds :) Our tables are going to each be named after a place where it rains a lot, so for example you might find yourself sitting at the "Dublin" table. Each table will have a wooden or tin bucket centerpiece filled with how much water it usually rains there, as well as greenery surrounding them and wrapped around the handles. There will be an info card next to the centerpieces indicating why that place is special to us as a couple, as well as the annual rainfall there. Our cake will be three tiered with blue polka dots and yellow ribbon around the bottom of each tier, with two miniature umbrellas for cake toppers.
    We have a while to decide what we want for sure, I appreciate all of your ideas or changes to be made to what we have so far!
  • Options
    I think that sounds really cute for the centrepieces! I love that you explain why too as the amount of water in the bucket would likely be otherwise lost on the guests. (I know I wouldn't think to see how much water is in my bucket comapred to the table next to us unless something was said lol)
  • Options
    Great idea! What about one of those water features thats essentially an 8ft sheet of shiny metal with water cascading down it in a constant 'sheet' of water? Might be able to play some lights off it and get some really great effects?
  • Options
    That's an awesome idea, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards