• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Offbeat Weddings

Multi-cultural celebration with tea

Hi! My fiance and I are both foreigners living in the States. We want to have a very small and intimate wedding, with only our close family, because of the travelling issues and because we are quite private and quirky people and did not want a traditional wedding. 
We are hoping to have a small celebration at a local teahouse, a kind of tea party. As the guest list will be less than 20 people, it will be very cosy. The tea house we are looking at is quite eccentric and is decorated mostly in white. 
What we are looking for help with is finding a way to incorporate my South African and his Scottish heritage into our "tea party" in a fun and natural way. 
So, any ideas for a Scottish-British-African fusion tea party? 

Re: Multi-cultural celebration with tea

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_multi-cultural-celebration-with-tea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:a324aed4-411a-4274-a056-1f8309b93883Post:fb6ef7be-3001-4f35-84ea-ffe3b9d966e0">Multi-cultural celebration with tea</a>:
    [QUOTE] What we are looking for help with is finding a way to incorporate my South African and his Scottish heritage into our "tea party" in a fun and natural way.  So, any ideas for a Scottish-British-African fusion tea party? 
    Posted by dsjohnst[/QUOTE]
     <div>Will you have centerpieces?  If there is a family tartan (plaid), you could add ribbon in that tartan to vases of South African flowers like orchids and proteas.   The only scottish flowers that I know are Thistle, heather and Scottish bells (like a blue bell).  </div><div>
    </div><div>Good food is a way to add heritage touches to a reception.  A traditional Scottish tea party would have shortbread cookies or scones with berry jam or maybe some of the Arikaans custard tarts.   Melkters might be the name.  Would these work with your tea party?</div>
  • Do they allow you to put up decorations? You could put something up representing the different heritages.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards