Offbeat Weddings
Options

Dog in my wedding?

Am I weird for wanting my dog in my wedding? I can just feel my mom and dad rolling their eyes as they see my dog wagging his tail at my wedding... 
My fiance is more than happy to incorporate him into our wedding, knowing how important he is to me... and he sees my dog as part of the family too.
Yet, my parents and his laugh whenever I bring it up, as if I was kidding... but I'm not.):
I don't want my wedding to be a bunch of people laughing at me. Do you think most people would think it's cute? Or crazy?
How should I even incorporate him?

Re: Dog in my wedding?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I don't think it's weird at all, however, I would say it depends on how formal of an event you plan to have, what the ceremony venue is, and how well trained your dog is.

If you're having a black tie formal event with the ceremony in a Church then odds are your dog would not be allowed to attend. If you're having a less formal, outdoor wedding then I see no reason why the dog couldn't attend.

If your dog isn't behaved then it kind of limits what he/she could probably successfully pull off. I've seen dogs as the ring bears but if your dog likes to run then you might risk losing the ring. If your dog is skiddish around people or easily stimulated he/she might not react appropriately for a wedding ceremony; jumps on the guests, tries to hide, etc. Even if it's an outdoor venue and your dog is a digger there might be some property damage issues that could arise. You know your dog best and I'm just running through possible "what could go wrong" scenarios.

If you don't want to trust your dog with the rings, you could get him/her a little doggy suit and be part of the bridal party and allow your dog to stand next to you during the ceremony. Keep in mind if it's outdoors, i.e. muddy, and your dog is a jumper you might get dirt on yourself, fiance, bridal party or guest. Will any of the guests have dog allergies or dog phobias?

Also think about the day of logistics that would be required for your dog. If you're out and about getting ready at x place, driving over to the venue, doing photos somewhere else, driving to a reception venue then what will your dog be doing during all of this? It might not be a big deal if your dog is well behaved but if you have a high energy dog it could become an issue trying to corral him all day. If you and your fiance are going to be busy getting ready, will it mean a bridal party member will have to watch your dog? Make sure whoever is on doggy duty is okay with this. 

I didn't intend for any of that to sound like a reason to not do it because I definitely see nothing wrong with having your dog attending if it's something you really want. Will people look at you weird? Perhaps. Will most people look at half the things on this board as being "weird". Most likely. It's definitely something that's different from most weddings but that doesn't make it a "crazy" or "bad" thing; are you going to be able to handle if there are a few chuckles? I'm sure most people attending wouldn't say anything to your face, "What were you thinking LayyTurrisi!" and I'm sure when people see your dog in a little outfit helping out, most will say "awwwwwww". 

I hate to use the "it's your wedding day" phrase because it is also about making sure your guests are comfortable but if you have a well behaved dog who is a member of your family, I say go for it! You can't please everyone no matter what you try so just do what will make you feel comfortable on the big day and ignore the haters. 

Photos of dogs attending weddings:

click me - doggy ring bearer pillow

Good luck!

• Options
    I say if you and your FI are into it, don't spend too much time worrying about how you'll get judged for it. But I agree with the PP, think it all out for your sanity and the safety of your dog. 

Our dogs were our ring bearers - they rode to the ceremony with my neighbor, so they only arrived maybe 10 minutes before. They stayed on leashes, as I knew the excitement of seeing all those people would cause them to not behave. We had a dog sitter come pick them up afterwards. She came when we were taking pictures and as soon as we had a few pics with the dogs, she took them home, fed them dinner, and got them settled. 

I will say they got away from our little walker & were running amock for a minute, but we all just laughed it off. I originally had an adult walking them, but she told me less than a week before the wedding that she wasn't coming. 

The girls before the ceremony-rings are tied to a flower on the collars

best man getting the ring from the collar

me, my daughter, husband & dogs

• Options
    I was hoping to have my dog as our ring bearer as well, unfortunately the priest is highly alergic and the church we are using won't allow it. I second the things to take under consideration that fluffy mentioned, couldn't have said it better. (dang fluffy, you're great at this stuff)
  • Options
    I agree with PP, make sure you think it through logistically. I would have LOVED to have our dogs in our wedding BUT my dog is hyper spazzo when people are around, she just wants to play constantly and would not have stayed calm for the ceremony. Also I knew we had atleast 1 dog allergy attending and 1 that was seriously afraid of dogs. I wasn't going to make them uncomfortable just because of my need to have them there.
  • Options
    I must say this one hits home for me... I had planned on having my dog in my wedding, (and I did figure out the logistics of it my cousins were going to take turns watching him during the wedding - they all love dogs), however he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in October. If the only thing holding you back is what people might think then I think that is the wrong reason to not include your dog. Now if is another reason like someone is allergic then that's a different story. I say this not for a guilt trip just make sure you're asking yourself the right questions because don't want you to regret it if it is somethng you really wanted. 

My handsome Sammy Otis! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_dog-in-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:cc5c906d-c1db-4bf4-a7db-381dc205becePost:741c8ccd-8505-4420-bf66-73583070fc86">Re: Dog in my wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I must say this one hits home for me... I had planned on having my dog in my wedding, (and I did figure out the logistics of it my cousins were going to take turns watching him during the wedding - they all love dogs), however he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in October. If the only thing holding you back is what people might think then I think that is the wrong reason to not include your dog. 
    Posted by JazzieL[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the responses! <div>My dog is just a little twenty pound dog, and I was planning on having my brother, who's in my FI's lineup, holding him on a leash during the ceremony, and also bring him. The only thing I'm worried about is him being excited and me giving in and making a detour when going down the isle to give him some pets. Hahah. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm so sorry JazzieL for your loss. I would lose it if anything to happened to my dog. I know I shouldn't care what people think, I just don't want to disappoint my dad and being as young as I am and getting married, I feel like that's just going to make him think I'm childish.):</div></div>
  • Options
    Thanks for your kind words! 

I'm a daddy's  & mommie's girl so their opinions matter a lot to me too! My advice is make sure that your not going to have regrets, maybe talk through it with your dad if it matters that much? Whatever you decide is going to be just perfect for you! A lot of great advice has been given on here and sound like you already have a plan if you do decide to have your dog involved. Best of everything to you on your wedding day! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love the idea. If it can work out and you know that people with allergies wont be there or the place is animal friendly then go for it. Your bridesmaids can help out too right?

Im really set on having one of my bridesmaids dogs to be the ring barrier. Actually anytime i see our rings i see Hustler handing them to my FI. Dont even bring it up any more just plan it in. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_dog-in-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:cc5c906d-c1db-4bf4-a7db-381dc205becePost:1e439edc-3ee5-4228-9a00-6c35caacd849">Re: Dog in my wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog in my wedding? : Thanks for the responses!  My dog is just a little twenty pound dog, and I was planning on having my brother, who's in my FI's lineup, holding him on a leash during the ceremony, and also bring him. The only thing I'm worried about is him being excited and me giving in and making a detour when going down the isle to give him some pets. Hahah.  I'm so sorry JazzieL for your loss. I would lose it if anything to happened to my dog. I know I shouldn't care what people think, I just don't want to disappoint my dad and being as young as I am and getting married, I feel like that's just going to make him think I'm childish.):
    Posted by LayyTurrisi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Give him some pets he will love it thats what will make your ceremony unique right? Also if you think he may get too excited have your brother excersiZe a little before hand. Let us know what you decide im eager to know. 

</div>
  • Options
    I say if you can swing it, have your dogs as a ringbearer but if not, at least have them in photos.  I have a rabbit that I was briefly flirting with using as a ringbearer (I was going to have his cage put on a wagon and have some of my nephews pull the wagon up the aisle), but because he is getting older and wouldn't enjoy himself with all those people scaring him, I'm just going to have him in my pictures.  I have a friend who has the most adorable picture of her in her wedding make-up holding her guinea pig, and I'm going to do the same. 

• Options
    Sorry, forgot to add my conclusion - you are not weird at all for wanting a dog in your wedding.  Lots of people try to include their animals.  People come to their weddings on horses, for goodness' sake!

• Options
    I'm having my dogs in our wedding- 2 100+lb akitas. They are my babies! My fiance actually proposed to me on one of their birthdays. My male dog and dad are probably going to walk me down the aisle, or he'll be in the wedding party along with his sister - who will be wearing a color coordinated tutu. 

They will be a part of the ceremony and for pictures afterwards because I wouldn't want them to get anxious during the reception or for anyone to feed them things that could make them sick. 

Because of that I picked a ceremony and reception at the same venue which is 20-30 minutes from my house. It's also an outdoor ceremony. 
  • Options
    We picked a location that will allow for our five dogs (four pugs and a Boston), but I'm not sure if the logistics make sense to include them-- they'll be outside all day long in the summer and our location isn't fenced in. I wish I could say they listened when we spoke, but all were senior rescues (the youngest is 9, oldest is 15), some are deaf, and others ingrained with bad habits once they get excited. If there is a family member willing to transport them to a hotel or nearby kennel after our photos, I'm game. I think it would be an awesome idea to include the dog, just have an exit strategy prepared in case things don't go as planned for the pup.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards