Offbeat Weddings

Get to Know You!

Alright, been awhile since we did one of these! Time for a little get to know you exercise :)

What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them?
What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing?
How did your FI propose?
Do you have any pets? Bonus points for pictures!
Where will you/did you honeymoon?
What do you do for a living?
Any big plans for this summer?

Re: Get to Know You!

• What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them? 
    The venue decor is black, white, and red.   As soon as I imagined our wedding day, purple was what came to mind.  My FI is actually a fan of purple too.  So, maybe purple and silver with some inevitable black and red from the venue.  When I say all that it seems like a lot of colors going on.  We are still in the early planning stages, so we'll see how it all comes together  :)

What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing? 
    I am most looking forward to exchanging vows and celebrating the uniting of a family!

How did your FI propose? 
    We had just gotten back home after a long walk and dinner.  FI put on the a Black Keys record to the song The Only One, and we started dancing in our living room.  About half way through the song, he said, "The first time we heard that song together, I knew I wanted it playing in the background when I proposed to you."  Then he pulled the ring out of his pocket and asked if I would be his only one.  Through tears I said, "Of course I will!"

No pets.  We are both allergic  :(

Our plan is to honeymoon at Universal Studios in Orlando.  We want to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

I am currently subbing in preschools and looking for work.

We have a trip to FI's parent's cabin planned around July 4th and later the same month, a camping trip related to the Minnesota Astronomical Society, where we'll see scientists speak, look through a high powered telescope, and enjoy all the regional park has to offer!

• edited June 2012
    Greetings all, I've been lurking and I feel like my wedding fits in nicely with this "offbeat" theme.  My Fiance and I are certainly anything but traditional people--in the best of ways!

Royal Purple and ?? (white/silver).  Because we both Love Dark Purple.  My other fav is bright red (which I feel clashes with purple, ironically) and his other fav is green (definitely not a color I'm in love with).

i can't wait to gather together all my favorite people in the world and have all the big personalities party together!  My goal is to Not be a Bridezilla (my mom will take care of that for me) and just HAVE FUN!

How did your FI propose? 
    Social Distortion concert!! (November 2011) One of our favorite bands came to Buffalo and so we traveled from Rochester, NY to see them.  However, his sister had just gotten engaged 11/11/11 so we didn't want to step on her engagement toes--so we just announced our engagement on May 16, 2012.  ;)

4 (FOUR)!!!!!!!  Cats, of course.  Jack our Russian Blue, Tako Poke our Orange baby, Fluffy our Maine Coon, and Bu-Chan our little grey tiger boy!

HAWAII! My Mom's family is from Hilo, on the Big Island.  So we are having a second very small Buddhist ceremony there in November 2013 and then honeymooning it up!

Thanks for reading all this, and i'd just like to say I'm excited to be a part of this board/site and, of course, excited to be engaged.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha, I suppose I should do it as well :) Glad to see lurkers coming out of hiding :)

What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them? Black and red with white accents. Kinda came from my ring, which is a black diamond engagement ring with ruby wedding bands. FI had it custom made as a surprise for me (he knows me so well!)
    What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing? Being announced as husband and wife infront of my friends and family :)
    How did your FI propose? He knew that I knew it was coming (he had been hinting at it trying to find out if I wanted a big to do or something smaller). I was planning a birthday getaway for him on Mackinac Island. He saw this as the perfect opportunity, afterall the only day I would think he wouldn't do it would be his birthday, right? So he proposed to me on a lookout on Fort Mackinac on his birthday :)
    Do you have any pets? Bonus points for pictures! Yes, pets are our babies and we have a few of them!
    FI had a dog when we got together, Chloe

I had a dog when we got together, Daviana (Davi for short)

I also had a cat when we got together, Pippen

Finally, we adopted our second cat together, Jinx

Where will you/did you honeymoon? the Melia Cabo Real in Los Cabos!

What do you do for a living? I am an insurance broker for personal lines home & auto insurance. FI and I also own a business in leadership development & informational marketting.
    At the end of June my brother, his gf and my niece (2 yrs old) are coming down to visit. Start of July we're going to visit the family to go camping and doing our tasting (they are camping about half an hour from the resort). End of July I have my local bridal shower. Either end of July/early August is my second bridal shower up by my family (6 hour drive so my aunt is throwing one up there). Last 2 weekends of August are my mother's surprise 50th bday party my brother, his gf, FI & I are throwing and then my bachlorette party.
  • What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them? Our colours are purple, green and orange. I love purple and FI loves green. Orange is just a fun summer colour.

I'm very excited to get everyone together :) Some people are all over the world right now so it's a little hard to see them all the time. Also excited to play vball on the beach in my wedding dress!

How did your FI propose?
    Halloween is my absolute favourite. Fi and I go to a pumpkin patch every year that has lots of activities to do including a giant corn maze. He got us lost in the maze on purpose where he got on one knee and asked me to marry him :) It was perfect for us

Do you have any pets? Bonus points for pictures! \
    We sure do! No bonus points though... We have a half westie half mini poodle named Mallow.. she's nuts and too cute. World's biggest ears lol

Jamaica! My family is from there and FI has never been outside of Canada.. Thought this would be a good place to start

I'm currently a chiropractic student

We are actually looking at the beach aspect of our venue tomorrow! Very, very excited for that!!! Lots of cottaging, camping, and FI and I play in 3 sports leagues together.. Busy busy :) Oh! I start my new job on Monday! It's with FI's company so couldn't be happier!

Can't wait to get to know everyone better!

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Red and black. Red is my favorite color and we both liked the look of it for the wedding.
    I am looking forward to having a great time at the reception.
    How did your FI propose?
    He took me to where we had our first date.
    A dog and a rabbit.
    Hopefully Italy! We don't know yet.
    Marketing
    Nah, we'll likely take vaca in the fall.
  • edited June 2012

I mostly lurk but I'm game :)

What are your wedding colours? Orange and grey (and white)

Why did you pick them? FI's fav color is orange, I picked grey because I thought it classy-ed up the orange (lol) and love the look of mismatched grey bridal party outfits :)
    What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing? Can't wait to have FI's last name (and my kiddos last name!) I know 'technically' I'll have to wait to really legally switch but you get the drift :)
    How did your FI propose? Vegas, Bellagio Fountains :)
    Do you have any pets? Lola our awesome english/american bulldog mix  Bonus points for pictures!  Gonna try and put some below! can't get it to work :(
    Where will you/did you honeymoon? Not sure, but thinking a cruise
    What do you do for a living? I'm a stay at home mom/homemaker and student
    Any big plans for this summer? We have lots of fun summer activities planned for the kids (a summer bucket list if you will).

http://frankenstiensgirl.weebly.com
    Photobucket
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Save The Dates
  • What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them? Brown and sage green. I just like them. Also, we knew we were doing succulents for centerpieces and getting married in a sagebrush field.

What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing? It was so freaking fun. If anything went wrong, I'm not aware of it. We had a blast. I loved having so many people we love all in one place at one time. And the dance floor was insane.

How did your FI propose? We hiked to Waimoku Falls on Maui and he asked me at the base of the waterfall. He asked my daughter for her permission the night before and got her to agree to stay at the condo while we hiked.

2 dogs, 2 cats, and pretty frequent foster cats and dogs

My daughter on her grad day recently and the dog we adopted on her first day of first grade

Maddie, the 5-toothed wonder dog we adopted when she was 10 y.o.

The kitties

Where will you/did you honeymoon? We went to St. John, USVI

What do you do for a living? Legal Assistant by day, dance instructor at night

Any big plans for this summer? I try not to go anywhere in the summer, because it's pretty much heaven here then. So, I'll work and do some rafting trips, camping, hiking, etc. around home. One of my best friends is getting married here on Sat., so that's exciting. 2 days of rafting, camping & hiking leading up to that.
  • What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them? Green & Grey, they arent purple, I am sick of seeing purple weddings.

What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing? The reception!

How did your FI propose? In Mexico. We were walking along the beach, he was talking about how cool it would be to find something someone dropped on the beach, He called out ot me "Ashley I found something!"  I turned around and he was down on one knee with a diamond ring in his hand.
    Our mini weiner dog Riley, She is our baby and does everything with us!

Where will you/did you honeymoon? We are considering India and the Ukrain

What do you do for a living? Human Resources

Any big plans for this summer? So far this summer we have gone Skydiving, went to Las Vegas, 2 Camping trips, & Renovated our master bathroom
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_get-to-know-you-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e1a91561-23d5-4806-9672-957026151f90Post:0b6f3e4b-6cfe-4464-8946-fa81229261ed">Re: Get to Know You!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them? Brown and sage green. I just like them. Also, we knew we were doing succulents for centerpieces <strong>and getting married in a sagebrush field</strong>. Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>That sounds amazing, especially the bold part! </div>

Black and dark purple. Our favorite is black my next fav is purple
    Exchanging vows and being a Mrs!
    How did your FI propose? 
    We were just laying in bed talking, when he jumped up and ran into the other room. He came back, got on one knee with the perfect ring! (I wanted it, but then he had made me think it was already bought, when we went to get it.)
    We each have one cat, Shadow and Oliver,but they don't live with us at the moment due to a pet free apartment. They are at our parents' house. Sorry, no bonus point for me :(
    The west coast (Oregon/Washington state area)
    fulltime student and work at a daycare. FI works in restaurants
    Hopefully move into a bigger place, that will be pet friendly ;)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I won't be obnoxious and quote everything I think is cool in every one of your posts, but...

Schatzi-that's pretty amazing you get to spend a year in Europe.

Sleeper-Abu Dhabi is an interesting choice, how did you decide on that? Believe it or not, a friend of mine just got a job in a circus show in Abu Dhabi, LOL.

Love the orange/grey and yellow/grey combos, I feel like our colors were on the boring side, but H wasn't feeling brave color-wise. I couldn't talk him into anything more exciting.

• What are your wedding colours? Why did you pick them?  Our wedding colors (thus far, could change, never know as we have plenty of time) are navy blue and champagne.  We picked them because we were going to do black and white, but since it is done so often, I said heck with it.  I also wanted a color that would make the bridesmaid dresses wearable again (to work, a party, etc.). 

What are you most looking forward to on your wedding day/what was your favourite thing? Marrying my best friend and celebrating with our family and friends.

How did your FI propose? I found out this was FI’s back up plan, as he had hoped to propose to me while we were in Haiti doing work, but out original trip was canceled and we were leading a lot of first timers on the trip we were put on, so instead of impacting their first trip with our engagement, he decided to hold off.  In March, while we were in Jamaica on vacation. We had a private dinner on the island off the mainland planned (which they refer to as “naked island” because during the day you have to drop trou to be able to be there) and I guess he decided it was the perfect opportunity.  He kept sneaking away to speak with the Romance Concierge to set things up.  We got to the island after champagne and apps on the dock and were seated.  Served some wine and a photographer came over and took a picture.  Then a saxophonist appeared and someone came over to FI to show him where the bathroom was.  When he came back he got down on one knee and proposed.  We were just getting served our salad!  It turns out everything went wrong.  The photographer wasn’t supposed to be there until dessert so that he could capture the engagement on camera and the saxophonist was supposed to arrive at the same time.  My brother was on the other side of the island with his wife having dessert and I guess since they reservations were under the same last name, they got them confused!  When Jeff was pulled away to be shown where the bathroom was, it was the Romance Concierge asking him if he was nervous and saying that the photographer thought he chickened out so he left (Jeff told me he turned to see the guy in the boat heading back to the mainland) and that our song was playing (what the saxophonist was playing) and the saxophonist had to leave and head back to the mainland soon.  BTW, the saxophonist was playing “Under the boardwalk” which not only sounds really awkward on the saxophone, but also is NOT our song.  In fact, FI had only just heard that song that morning for the first time!  So yeah, it was a comedy of errors.  I didn’t eat my food because I was crying so hard the rest of the night.

Do you have any pets? Bonus points for pictures! Yes, we have a yorkiepoo named Chewbaca, we call her Chewie for short (and also because she has a tendency to chew up FI’s wallets-not to mention a couple pairs of my shoes when we first got her).  She’s a rescue.  It is FI’s first pet so he super spoils her.

Chewie with an ice cube on a hot day that she immediately brought to the couch.

With a cow/pig nose or something that FI got for her.

Too sleepy to go on her morning walk.

Where will you/did you honeymoon?  We’re not sure yet, I wanted to do something extravagant, but seeing as we’re paying for the wedding ourselves, we’ll either have to wait a while for our honeymoon or scale back what we’re doing, so now we’re looking into Mexico (since FI has never been and I LOVE Mexico).

What do you do for a living?  I’m a legal secretary.  Not at all what I went to school for, but it pays the loans I had to take out to go to school, so I can’t complain!

Any big plans for this summer? We just came back from Jamaica in March and Haiti in late May so I used up all my vacation time.  We’re heading to Jamaica again this coming March though!

• Holy crap, Chewie is adorable, love her!!
    Our colors are black, white, silver, and bright blue. We picked them because we wanted to draw inspiration from our surroundings (white dress, black tux, silver in tablewares), and because bright blue is both of our favorite color!

It might be weird, but I'm most looking forward to the last few hours where we're frantically trying to pull everything together in time. I love the chaos that comes right before the wedding, and then the feeling that it's finally time to let it all go and enjoy!

How did your FI propose? 
    He came over to visit me on a Friday night  (December 9th), and told me to sit down on the bed. Then he sat next to me, reached in his pocket, pulled out a ring box and whispered in my ear!
    We don't yet. We're holding off on pets, in order to save money for the wedding. I really want a kitty though. =(

Right now, our plan is to get a 5 day, 3 country European train pass, and go from Italy to France to Germany. I'm really excited!

We're both full-time students with part-time jobs for now. But I graduate this December, so that'll change soon!

Our biggest plan was to move in together, which we did June 1st. Other than that, we may go to the beach for a little. We'll see.
  • HeathenSwanHeathenSwan member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Dark green (either hunter or moss) and ivory with some brown accents. His favorite color is green, the venue is rustic and brown and I really love the way ivory works with both. 

Hearing him say his vows, and seeing everything put together.

How did your Fiance propose? 
    We had come home from New Years weekend with his family and were on the couch in our pajamas. He started telling me about a conversation he'd had with his mom on Christmas day (they hadn't been getting along, but it was a really good talk). It turned to his great grandmother, and he pulled out the ring that used to belong to her and asked me to be his wife. I cried and said yes.

Two bearded dragons. They're both girls. I've had them for about eight years. They're with my father in NJ at the moment, but hopefully I can get them here soon.

Oatmeal:

And Vigo:
    And yes, I was doing glamor shots of them :P

We'll probably do a weekend away somewhere close. If we could affo(rd it, we'd be going on the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise/metal fest in Jan.

I'm an unemployed full time student at the moment.

We're going to visit his best maid in Akron in a couple of weeks, and Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, and Tyr concert in August. I'm also going to ME for my grandmother's 90th birthday in August. And NJ again at some point.
  • Lurker here...

Gold and plum. Our colors have changed many times; FI sugguested purple to honor our favorite NFL team lol. But it works really well with our location and season so we went with it.

The reception!

How did your FI propose?
    In a park on our 3 year anniversary. I knew it was coming (I picked out my ring) but I was so excited :)

Do you have any pets? Bonus points for pictures! We have a little mutt named Layla :)
    Gatlinburg
    We're both students getting ready to graduate. He works in retail ATM. I work as an administrative assistant.
    Working on our new house and graduating school! I'm so ready.
    09/12- Dx PCOS; currently taking Metformin 1500mg.
    10/12-Married my best friend
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards