Offbeat Weddings
Options

Gamer Reception help??

The FI and I have been tossing theme ideas for the reception around. We were set on a "winteresque" theme...minus the snowflakes and all, more of a birch/branch/pine cone thing. Funny thing is, I never felt like that level of "class" was truly US. So we changed it. We are going with the whole classy ceremony, but changing gears and going with a video game themed reception. It's what we do. Our friends and family know us as the tattooed, pierced, video game playing couple.

Now my issue comes with NOT making this look like a child's birthday party. We aren't doing costumes or anything like that, but I want to incorporate it in the decor I think.

Re: Gamer Reception help??

• Options
    I've seen Mario centerpieces online where they had either the potted piranha flower in a green pot or the yellow question mark boxes with different icons coming out of the top, like the star, fireball plant, etc.

You might be able to find old/used game console parts for cheap to arrange somehow as decoration; possibly spray paint old controllers, consoles, game cartridges in your wedding colors? Photobooths have props sometimes and you could use the old duck hunting controllers as a cute gamer prop.

PP mentioned 8-bit invitations and that sounds cute. Do you have a favorite game or series of games that you could draw more inspiration from?
  • Options
    My FI is also a gamer. I made our card box into the mario block. There is a picture in my bio.
  • Options
    We pretty much play everything. We have been tossing around the idea of having each table represent a different game. Example: Zelda, Final Fantasy (11 is our fav), Mario, Call of Duty, Rockband/Guitar Hero, Resident Evil, etc.

I looked at the Offbeat Brides. AMAZING! Thanks for the point in the right direction. My FI said he's just worried that I will make it lame. Does he know nothing about me!? It's gonna be awesome.

I saw invites where someone used old NES sleeves to hold them. I think that's cool, but a little impractical for 175 invites. Hmm.....
  • Options
    ALSO! I forgot the most important piece! He proposed by putting my ring in a Nintendo 3DS game case. He changed out the title insert and put a proposal poem instead. Then on the inside there was my ring and a tissue (He knew I'd cry LOL). That's why the gamer reception idea. It's totally us.
  • Options
    Gustafson28Gustafson28 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    I think this all sounds awesome! I also shouldn't let my FI see because he might want this instead lol
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited about the whole idea! I think we might use some music in the ceremony, I am not sure yet. We are keeping that aspect of the wedding pretty traditional.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. And if you see anything super awesome, let me know!
  • Options
    We have talked about a zombiefied wedding cake. Kinda from the Resident Evil series? I think I am in love with this theme!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards