Gay Weddings

A little Frustrated

I love wedding planning. I am used to looking at wedding planning sites for straight people, especially since I've been helping my bestie plan her wedding this year. But now that I am officially engaged, I'm frustrated that though there is a an option to show you are planning a gay wedding, there really isn't much offered on this site- am I missing something? I would really like to use this site to make lists, create our budget and such but I'm feeling like I don't belong here with all the bride and groom and he and she wording on EVERYTHING.... maybe I'm being over-sensitive or something, but I'm a little dissappointed that there isn't more offered to assist same-sex couples. I usually don't care and can make things work for me, and adjust how I need to- but it seems like this might not be the right site for us, which bums me out because I really want to! I know there are plenty of other sites out there, but this one is so comprehensive, with everything I need in one place....except for more gay friendly wording and ideas....I'm not suggesting the Knot become a gay site, just to be more considerate of same sex couples who come to this site.... especially now that 4 more states have legalized same sex marriage!!!
Any in-sight anyone has would be appreciated. 

Re: A little Frustrated

• I concur!  I keep coming back to this site though because all the resources are here - in one place.  I am disappointed that certain small steps that could be made to make the site more same-sex friendly haven't been taken.
  • I was wondering the same thing and haven't found any resolution. What I have done, becuase I agree with the above post about it being a great site in terms of reources, so I keep coming back, is modifying it myself. For instance my checklist, I create a new checklist item with my wording for the same date due and reminder. takes a bit more time, but it's working enough to keep myself and my partner organized. Just sucks someone didn't think it all the way through!
  • I understand completely. I do use this site but I deleted all TO DO's and budget things that don't apply to us. A lot of the vendors are more friendly than you would think. There are other sites too. try gayweddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am about 17 days from my wedding and I have included a link to Equally Wed which should help some. I used it while I have been planning, I have also used Martha Stewart Wedding site as well but if you are looking for Same Sex Couple info Equally Wed is A Great SIte....

http://equallywed.com/gay-wedding-planning-posts.html
    Hope this help!

Soon To Be Wed
    Michele
  • You are not alone. I find myself using a few websites. I mainly use this one for reserach and have a google doc of our budget.
    I tried the one offered by offbeat bride and it was no better.
    I don't want to be asked about groom's side for seating.
    I don't want a parent's guest list.

I wish there was a more customizable set of options.
  • OMG I came to this community board for this very reason. I am so frustrated by the knot!!!!
    1. I have clearly marked that I am a man marrying another man and asked for only same-sex and budget friendly email posts. Why do I keep getting emails for wedding dresses!!!!

2. On their wedding checklist board for my accoutn it still says I haven't picked out a wedding dress or bridesmaids dresses - it really doesn't custom for me even though my account says 2 men are being married

3. I got an email for a contest recently for the George St. Photographer. All the contact info is bride and female specific questions. And they are required to move on. I contacted the vendor and gave them feedback about this and contacted theknot and recieved no response from either.

I am about a year away and I don't feel like I need to goto an all LGBT site like equally wed but I assumed that the leading online wedding planbning site would be able to cater some material to me and at least make sure the vendors they select for me meet some of my basic needs. 
  • It is annoying I agree but I have taken some really good organisers and have totally moditified them for my needs.

I have tried some that are just so horrible that I don't use them.  I do find some of the ones that are included when you sign up for sites like this are often way too restrictive.

• 3 years ago when planning ours we chose not to use The Knot...3 days after we got married this portal went live.

Sorry The Knot, but we chose Bed, Bath and Beyond.  We were able to customize most fields except one groom/bride field.  However...when we registered there we had the corporate trainer as our person and she was fab!  We told her about our problem with their site and she promised to "bubble it up" thru corporate.  Check them out and see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards