Gay Weddings

Anyone else wish?

That there were more people on this board and that we all posted regularly?  I browse the board and read the posts but usually just go to the other knot boards since there's always new posts.  Of course I don't usually say much since I'm not sure how they'll receive a gay marriage.

So....after all that, I guess I'll introduce myself.

My name's Carla and my fiance (Veronica) and I are getting married on October 15, 2011.

Other than my parents and my brother, the rest of the family has been very supportive.  We've also  had good experiences with venues and services.  Even though we live in Missouri, which is pretty conservative, we hadn't had any problems with discrimination thus far.  We're basically finished planning and now I"m just going crazy waiting for the day to arrive!

Re: Anyone else wish?

• chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Carla. Yes! I check this one, but most of my interaction is on other boards. (And, I swear to god, the next time somebody calls me a bride, I'm gonna sock somebody.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    daisywithak:  I think a lot of us post on other boards when dealing with general wedding questions, and only post here when we are talking about things specific to same-sex weddings.  I was on all sorts of boards before my wedding, and only got one critical comment--ever!--on mine being a same-sex marriage.
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I wish this board was more active too, it doesn't all have to be same sex marriage related. I post on my local board for wedding vendor related items, but mostly on an international board for random banter and chatting (which is only sometimes wedding related). All the ladies (and the few gents) on the boards have been very nice for the most part. The some of girls on my international board make me feel like they're my own little PFLAG group, they're so sweet.

I'd be down for more random chatting on this board. That's is, I'm posting a poll. You better answer it now Carla ;)

Photobucket
  • daisywithakdaisywithak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_anyone-else-wish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:4762ce8b-dea5-47fd-936b-17e174cca8d2Post:07148269-92ce-4421-93f9-dc608533cb56">Re: Anyone else wish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ daisywithak :  I think a lot of us post on other boards when dealing with general wedding questions, and only post here when we are talking about things specific to same-sex weddings.  I was on all sorts of boards before my wedding, and only got one critical comment--ever!--on mine being a same-sex marriage.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I guess I'm still nervous about how people will react. I love reading the other boards and if someone were a jerk I would probably feel like I couldn't stand to use that board anymore.  Maybe I just need to put it out there!
  • daisywithakdaisywithak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_anyone-else-wish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:4762ce8b-dea5-47fd-936b-17e174cca8d2Post:569603e4-85c9-43c4-bdec-7897bf82d9a2">Re: Anyone else wish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Carla. Yes! I check this one, but most of my interaction is on other boards. (And, I swear to god, the next time somebody calls me a bride, I'm gonna sock somebody.)
    Posted by chrmun[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Is this Chris or Eric?  What do people usually say when you're speaking to vendors?  Do you find that they have a hard time coming up with the words to use?  They always want one of us to be the bride and one to be the groom so it will fit neatly on their forms.
  • nicknuttncnicknuttnc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do wish this board was more active. I love to know more about what we all do when planning. I am excited and love planning my wedding.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hi Carla,  You wedding is the week after mine  and we are not to far away, we are in iowa.  We have almost everythibg ready, and i am anxiously waiting for our big day!!  Maybe things will become more active on these boards now that you posted this.
    Anniversary
  • chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_anyone-else-wish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:4762ce8b-dea5-47fd-936b-17e174cca8d2Post:287b1500-d59b-4ace-98f1-87338144b473">Re: Anyone else wish?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else wish? : Ha!  Is this Chris or Eric?  What do people usually say when you're speaking to vendors?  Do you find that they have a hard time coming up with the words to use?  They always want one of us to be the bride and one to be the groom so it will fit neatly on their forms.
    Posted by daisywithak[/QUOTE]

I'm Chris.  Eric is the red one.
    In terms of vendors, we're pretty lucky that we live in Northern Califonia.  It feels like "Gay Wedding" here is like "Grand Slam Breakfast" anywhere else. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • KalithiaKalithia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish the same thing.  Although to get some vendor/ venue advice, I did post on my local board that I was looking for same sex friendly information.  I posted at the bottom of my post that is no one had anything friendly to say don't reply!  In return I got a lot of great information and haven't come across anything mean yet.  I was scared of that at first but it turned out great!
  • edited December 2011
    Beth and I have been very lucky here in Milwaukee.  We went to the Crate and Barrel registry brunch for engaged couples and got a kick out of how intrigued people were that we were there as a couple.  We just keep smiling!  We aren't embarrassed about our relationship and have found that many people are very accepting and excited for us.  We have not had one bad experience with a vendor so far.
    In our initial looking for a venue, I sent out several emails to places that interested us.  I was honest that this was a same-sex committment ceremony.  I didn't get a response from a few places, and one place was a little terse in the response, which just crossed them off the list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards