Gay Weddings

Name change/hyphenation - a little long

Hi all....I've been lurking on and off for a while now but my fiance and I are having the same conversation over and over again and I decided we need some outside opinions.  We are going to be legally changing our names to be the same - for ease in legality and other areas.  She wants me to take her last name and I would prefer to hyphenate both our names.  What have you done and/or your opinions?!?  Would it be obnoxious to have a seven syllable hyphenated last name?

Some other background information:  Both our last names are fairly long (mine is three syllables, hers is four).  We are both doctors in our fields...so we do a lot of signing our names at work, etc.  We would likely have our legal names printed on documents, business cards, etc., but refer to ourselves verbally as Dr. (our maiden name).  Neither of us want to give up our maiden names.  Is this too ridiculous?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Re: Name change/hyphenation - a little long

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are going to have a single last name on your business cards, I think it is going to be very confusing to patients to refer to yourselves verbally by separate last names.

If neither of you wants to give up your last name, why do it?  I've kept my birth last name throughout my first marriage, then divorce, then second marriage.  You don't have to have the same last name to be married.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have a career that requires a build-up of reputation and name-recognition, and my family name is huge and hideous, so I am thrilled to be taking my wife-to-be's name.  Two syllables, easy to spell, and my father is completely empathetic, because if he had thought it was possible to get rid of our name and take my mother's maiden name, he totally would have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have thought about changing my name to my husband to be's  last name, it is shorter and I move up the alphabet list from B to A...hehehe, but mostly i want our names to be the same at the end. The dilemna is we are moving to his country where it will be tricky to change my name and be known as 2 different names...maybe when we come back to Canada to go to school we can change our names then..what does everyone else think?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your feedback!!
  • edited December 2011
    Could you each keep your maiden names as middle names and then both take on an entirely new last name?  For instance Dr. Mary Smith And Dr. Ann Jacobs could become Dr. Mary Smith Sinclair and Dr. Ann Jacobs Sinclar.  People could still refer to you as Dr. Smith and Dr. Jacobs, but you'd gain the simplicity of the same last name when needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards