Gay Weddings

After the Wedding advice

For those of you who already tied the knot, I have some questions:

1. Did you change you name/s?  Take your FI's name, or kept your's?  What are your thoughts about hyphenating your last names?

2.  What kind of legal changes happened at your work as far as insurance, etc with your new legally married status?

3.  If you were married in another state than you live in, what has happened in your own state as far as your marriage status?  Remained single?  Able to recognize the marriage?

4.  How do you claim your taxes?  Married on state, single on federal?  Married for both??

Thank you!!!  Any advice or suggestions about any of these ideas are appreciated.  :-)

Re: After the Wedding advice

• anglvoice79anglvoice79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1:  i think the name change is a matter of preference.  my fiance doesn't want to keep her last name so either she will take mine or we will both change ours to her step fathers last name (he is the one who raised her from a young age)

2: Some businesses will offer same sex partner benefits even if you don't live in a state that recognizes same sex marriages.  You will need to check with your employer on their policies.

3 & 4: a lot of this depends on where you live.  If you live in a state that either performs or recognizes same sex marriages then you have all (or most) of the same rights as hetero married couples on the state level (including filing taxes jointly).  However, regardless of where you live you need to file federal taxes as single bc the federal govt doesn't recognize same sex marriages

hope this helps!.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Did you change you name/s?  Take your FI's name, or kept you's?  What are your thoughts about hyphenating your last names?

Both of us kept our own names.  Then again, I kept my own name when I was married to a man, too.  Changing one's name on marriage always seemed to me like a big hassle for no particular purpose.

2.  What kind of legal changes happened at your work as far as insurance, etc with your new legally married status?

I'm self-employed, so this really does not apply to me.

3.  If you were married in another state than you live in, what has happened in your own state as far as your marriage status?  Remained single?  Able to recognize the marriage?

That is an interesting question right now.  The Maryland attorney general has supposedly been preparing an opinion since last May on whether Maryland recognizes same-sex marriages conducted in other states.  In the absence of such an opinion, our status as married or single under Maryland law could only be determined by a court if we had a specific current issue involving our status.

4.  How do you claim your taxes?  Married on state, single on federal?  Married for both??

In Maryland, it really doesn't matter whether you are single or married filing separately.  Federal has to be filed separately.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards