Gay Weddings
Options

hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony.

My partner and I are getting married in Australia (where we live) in 18 months, and are having a civil union. Basically we are trying to educate our guests about the inequalities in our country. If anyone has any suggestions about what we could include in our ceremony they would be very appreciated. :)

Re: hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_hetero-couple-wanting-to-support-gay-marriage-in-our-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:c7875a13-12bb-489a-b7e9-3e9a300ce0b8Post:022d59d9-2634-415d-b0b8-e9749c84a0a6">hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My partner and I are getting married in Australia (where we live) in 18 months, and are having a civil union. Basically we are trying to educate our guests about the inequalities in our country. If anyone has any suggestions about what we could include in our ceremony they would be very appreciated. :)
    Posted by MadeleineHannah[/QUOTE]

What a lovely idea! Could you tell us more about the ceremony? Time of day? Theme? Big or small?
    Unfortunate yet necessary disclaimer: This communication may be considered attorney advertising. No attorney client relationship has been formed. The use of any content provided on this site and your provision or submission of any information while using this site will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. The content of this site is provided solely for informational purposes: it is not intended as and does not constitute legal advice. The information contained herein should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for consultation with legal, accounting, tax, career and/or other professional advisors - Christie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_hetero-couple-wanting-to-support-gay-marriage-in-our-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:c7875a13-12bb-489a-b7e9-3e9a300ce0b8Post:7fb69c6c-c29a-42d3-9508-8fafa21bd030">Re: hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony. : What a lovely idea! Could you tell us more about the ceremony? Time of day? Theme? Big or small?
    Posted by ChristieMarieMOH[/QUOTE]

The ceremony will depend on the legislation passed in our state at that stage. We are having a garden wedding, late afternoon, and we are not set on the number of guests (maybe 100-150? not sure).

Our celebrant is on holiday at the moment, but she's very flexible about what we can do in regards to our ceremony (as it's likely that we will have to fill out paperwork, then have a ceremony which will be purely celebratory).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_hetero-couple-wanting-to-support-gay-marriage-in-our-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:c7875a13-12bb-489a-b7e9-3e9a300ce0b8Post:b4702c7e-8321-464f-9e64-188ba1182185">Re: hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: hetero couple wanting to support marriage equality in our ceremony. : The ceremony will depend on the legislation passed in our state at that stage. We are having a garden wedding, late afternoon, and we are not set on the number of guests (maybe 100-150? not sure). Our celebrant is on holiday at the moment, but she's very flexible about what we can do in regards to our ceremony (as it's likely that we will have to fill out paperwork, then have a ceremony which will be purely celebratory).
    Posted by MadeleineHannah[/QUOTE]

<div>My partner and I just started planning our ceremony, and the piece of advice I've found most helpful is this: because such ceremonies are new, you can make it as unique as you want!  For example, we'll be leaving out many hetero-focused and religious traditions such as parent dances, prayers, unity candles, and a boquet/garter toss.  We'll be replacing them with things that are not only more inclusive, but more "us."  I have loved getting to think so outside the box, and getting to toss things that I have always found boring!  We also use the word "partner" a lot, and intend to incorporate it in readings, vows, etc.  I find that it carries so much meaning when I think about her being my partner in life.  Hope that's helpful!  </div>
  • Options
    I don't know that I can offer any advice on how to make the point more accurately. But I would like to say THANK YOU! I think it's awesome that you're doing that. My fiance and I are fortunate enough to live in NY where we are legally allowed to be married (PTL). But, for so many couples like us, this isn't the "norm" yet. For a heterosexual couple to be showing their support this way is not only inspiring, but I think definitely highlights a point that in (hopefully) a few years from now will be a non issue. Thank you!
  • Options
    Why don't you both wear the white knot, or set a bowl of them for others to wear also. It's associated with the website whiteknot.org and they support international marriage equality.
    It's worth looking into.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards