Gay Weddings
Options

You know I love you, but right now I hate you.

Ok, so yesterday I went to the mall and I stopped by a store to window shop and noticed a serving set that would match our theme (black/white roaring 20's) plus I loved it. A little more than we wanted to pay, but it was on sale. I called my FI and told her about it and explained I didn't want to buy it without her there to look at. Her response was "why do we need it?" The store was a little crowded so I told her we'd talk later when I got home.
Once home, the conv continued to which she went on to state/ask "couldn't the bakery supply one with the cake, why spend that amount of money on something we're going to use once, I just don't see the point", etc.  I explained to her that we'd keep it along with the toasting glasses and wedding album in our cabinet...to which she replied "toasting glasses, we need toasting glasses too?"
This conv has gone on for a while and I'm aggravated with her to say the least. I ask her how about we just forget about the china and silver settings and just use paper-plates and plastic cutlery, too.  Of course, she replies, that is fine with her, she just wants to get married and doesn't care what we eat on.
That's when the words come out of my mouth uncensored "You know I love you, but right now I hate you." and I walk outside to work in one of the flower gardens. A few minutes go by and she came out and asked if I was really mad at her. I sat there and looked at her and shook my head no...because I wasn't. I was mad at myself, because I knew she was right. I told her I loved her and if she didn't go back inside I was going to spray her with the hosepipe.
Maybe I was mad at her a little - I need her to get on board and help and stop putting every detail on me and stop telling me to decide (I need help honey!).

Please tell me I'm not the only one to freak like this and totally snap. I know it's the stress - what were we thinking planning 2 weddings (Boston next month "our little elopement" and New Orleans next year "our big ceremony" we live in Nashville).

Re: You know I love you, but right now I hate you.

• Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are def not alone. I flipped out about 10 different times about needing more help and my FW also didn't care about all the details or understand why they are important to me.

I do want to tell you, that while things like toasting glasses and cake cutting knives seem important now, they will be present for literally 1 second at your wedding and not worth the $$ if you're on a tight budget and DEFINITELY not worth the aggrevation. We didn't have either of those things and I didn't even notice them missing. We used regular champagne glasses for toasting and used a family member's cake cutting set. You can even make it your something "used" :)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's totally OK to get mad.  It sounds like you were able to clean it up pretty well, too, so good for you.  It's also OK to tell her that you need help, but you also have to be ready to hear her feedback.  ( "couldn't the bakery supply one with the cake, why spend that amount of money on something we're going to use once, I just don't see the point",  IS feedback, just not the feedback you wanted.)  A thing I have to remember is that different things are going to be important to each of us during the process, so I have to manage my expectations.  I also need to remind myself every now and then that the wedding is just a day and the marriage is the real prize.  Don't get me wrong, I want a nice wedding.  A really nice wedding!  That having been said, what I want more is to spend the rest of my life with Eric.  So, I have to make sure to keep my wedding from getting in the way of my marriage.  Y'know what I mean?
    (For the record, I am a little baffled by cake serving sets, too!  Also by chiavarri chairs.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_love-but-right-now-hate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:e47c3ad0-2075-49aa-a3e3-d6135214d294Post:61bb8fa3-88ab-4f83-a21c-8816eb80988e">Re: You know I love you, but right now I hate you.</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's totally OK to get mad.  It sounds like you were able to clean it up pretty well, too, so good for you.  It's also OK to tell her that you need help, but you also have to be ready to hear her feedback.  ( "couldn't the bakery supply one with the cake, why spend that amount of money on something we're going to use once, I just don't see the point",  IS feedback, just not the feedback you wanted.)  A thing I have to remember is that different things are going to be important to each of us during the process, so I have to manage my expectations.  I also need to remind myself every now and then that the wedding is just a day and the marriage is the real prize.  Don't get me wrong, I want a nice wedding.  A really nice wedding!  That having been said, what I want more is to spend the rest of my life with Eric.  <strong>So, I have to make sure to keep my wedding from getting in the way of my marriage. </strong>Y'know what I mean? (For the record, I am a little baffled by cake serving sets, too!  Also by chiavarri chairs.)
    Posted by chrmun[/QUOTE]

Well put. I would get annoyed at my wife from time to time in the planning when she wasn't on top of our to-do list and would ask "what needs to get done". I assumed, wrongfully, that because I was obsessing about the wedding and making list after list and being a TK hoar, that she was too. I'm a perfectionist and it was even hard letting somethings go for other people, J or family members or whomever, to take care of. But in the end somethings weren't perfect, some of my painstaking plans didn't follow throw exactly how I wanted them, and you know what? I was ok with it. We had an extraordinary day, and I don't remember the flowers, or menus or other little details, what sticks out in my mind is standing there watching her walk down the aisle looking more beautiful than any woman has ever looked, dancing with her, dancing and celebrating with family and friends, and just enjoying the whole night. It was amazing.

Photobucket
  • Options
    sustotsustot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for your responses. I'm glad I can totally laugh about it now, and realize that it is okay to lose my mind for a moment or two. It is now our daily joke - she asks if I love or hate her right now.
    My FI and I have been together for 15 years to us we are already each other's wives. As we'd discussed several times over our years, we don't need anyone's permission to proclaim our love and devotion to one another. So, for me to freak on a servicing set was not only uncharacteristic, but a total out of body experience.
    Kcullen - again, congrats and you both look gorgeous. I responded to one of your posts...some pole I believe, and one of the questions was what were you looking most forward to about your wedding. My answer was seeing her walk down the aisle with her father, because I really think I'll lose it right then. So, I completely know where your coming from...and I haven't even gotten there yet. 
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you're feeling better, sustot!

I totally understand the "out of body" feeling. Weddings make people totally nuts. Its def not just you :)

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards