Washington-Seattle
Options

And so it begins...

DH and I finally opened our gifts from the wedding.  Here's a dilemma I need some help with: we received a BB&B bag with 2 loaf pans from our BB&B registry and a few other random items: 3 books (2 on marriage, 1 slow cooker book), and a set of heart shaped crystal trinket boxes.  We have NO idea who the gift is from!  Nothing was written on the tag attached to the bag and no card was in it!  I tried to see if I could track it on our registry, but no luck.  The people I thought it was from actually gave us a different gift!  How the heck do we try to figure this out? 

I figured while I'll customize each "thank you" I'll send out, to the few that didn't come with anything a generic "thank you for celebrating with us!" message of sorts.  That way no one thinks we purposefully didn't send a card.  Does that sound right or any other suggestions?

Also, one of DH's friends gave us a check made out to Hisfirstname & Myfirstname.  Would a bank even accept that?

Oh yeah, and it's already begun with FIL asking "When are the grandkids coming?" as well as a couple other mentions in cards of "lots of babies."  Eek!
Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
Married 7/10/10
Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
Anniversary

Re: And so it begins...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you should do any more investigation work.  You aren't psychic, if they didn't put a card or sign the tag its not you're fault.  I wouldn't stress too much over it.  As long as they receive a thank you there shouldn't be any issues.
    Amanda & Joel
    Planning bio: updated 05.11.10
    326 were asked to dance image
    120 will boogie the night away image 110 have two left feet image 96 are couch potatoes image
    RSVP Date: Sept 10, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ignore the dilemma!  We just found a note in one of the marriage books - it's from the people I thought it was from. :)
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    :)

Ugh, at dinner the night BEFORE our wedding, we got the baby talk from both sets of parents. Then at the reception, my stepdad said it was time. Sigh..
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    irshis20irshis20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The baby talk at weddings/receptions/rehearsal dinners and elsewhere really bothers me. I understand that people love babies and want to have them around, but some couples can't have babies even if they want them very badly. I know some people don't think about that, but I wince every time I hear someone ask a newly married couple at a party or somewhere about their plans for a baby. One of my friends has been trying with her husband for nearly two years to have a baby and they've just been told that it is likely they won't be able to have one. She is in so much pain because of it and I can't imagine how much it must hurt her to get this question, which I'm sure she gets all the time. I wish more people would tell others that it is none of their business, rather than just giggle and go along with the intrusive question. People will never learn this is inappropriate unless they are corrected.
  • Options
    Koolkay83Koolkay83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny, my step-dad said that we should reconsider having kids at the engagement party. We told him no, because he has 3 boys and I have one boy. FI and I talked about maybe when I am like 30ish I would love to be a foster mom.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im already thinking of snarking comments for the baby question....its inevitable. And yes, ive always thought its such a personal question of when you start having kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

For the check issue, hubby and I got 2 like that. We were able to throw them in our bank... but it's a joint account. But he was the one who signed on the back, I didn't and it still went through. If you have doubts go into your bank and talk to a teller. My advice.
    As for no cards, I know you don't have the dilemma anymore, but you can always call your registry store location and they can look it up for you. I know it's been done in the past with other knotties, or I read it somewhere, I can't remember, lol!
    Babies, yeah, we're getting it already. But I'm okay with it. I'm 30 next year and I don't want to be an older mom. DH says he wants them before he's 30, which is 5 years so I think we're on a 5 yr schedule. Cool with me!

Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh! And about the thank you cards, I'm doing the same thing. I'm sorry but the way I was raised, when you're invited to a party/wedding you bring a gift. You never go empty handed. So I will send a thank you card to the people who didn't bring gifts thanking them for sharing our special day and hope they feel like crap, lol! I know it sounds mean, but come on! That is rude! Okay, advice is done, :P
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_begins-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:104Discussion:5a1aab22-978f-4a96-a88f-e5d501e867e7Post:b7559a6b-8ead-4521-a725-fe075e958570">Re: And so it begins...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh! And about the thank you cards, I'm doing the same thing. I'm sorry but the way I was raised, when you're invited to a party/wedding you bring a gift. You never go empty handed. So I will send a thank you card to the people who didn't bring gifts thanking them for sharing our special day and hope they feel like crap, lol! I know it sounds mean, but come on! That is rude! Okay, advice is done, :P
    Posted by BrandyL10[/QUOTE]

We had a few people who didn't even bring a card.  I totally understand everyone is in a different situation financially - I had one friend RSVP she was coming, attended the ceremony and left prior to the reception (although we obviously paid for a plate for her), and gave us a card with a $25 gift card inside.  I know she had another wedding she attended the day before and she's going through a divorce so I appreciate the card and the gift card and especially that she made the effort to attend the ceremony.  But we had a couple of DH's friends (bachelors) show up without a card. 

I will be bridezilla and say that if you attend my wedding, I do expect at least a card.  Gift/gift card, sure you hope for, but again, some people are in a tough situation with the economy, but bring a freaking card at least!!!  Even CA BM and GM, neither brought even a card.  Oh, and CA GM signed our guestbook, but addressed his message to DH.  WTF!??

Sorry, rant over.  But I agree - I will be sending TYs to eveyone who attended saying thank you for celebrating with us, that way IF someone did indeed bring something and we somehow didn't get it, then they at least know we aren't being rude and not sending TYs.
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank GOODness they put their name on something. :) I wonder if we'll have that issue. :) Hope you got everything you wanted!!! :)

my family has been asking about babies since we got engaged... ahhhH! probably 2 years we'll have them.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Tygirl, As the banker, if both of you sign it you will be fine. Preferably put it in a joint account, but it shouldn't matter if you put it in an individual account as long as both signatures are on the back.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, thanks, Kare!  :)
    Married 7/10/10