Canada

Do I have to invite her?

I was pretty good friends with a girl in college but we've fallen out of touch in the last year and haven't seen each other in over a year, so clearly I'm not inviting her to my wedding. (We're trying to keep it at 100 or less and I have a huge family) Anyways, now she's getting married 3 weeks before me and just sent me an email STD. From what I can see only 50-75 people are invited and I'm shocked I'm one of them. What do I do? I can't invite her to mine but should I go to her anways to be nice? I'm also worried about it being so close to my wedding and that'll I'll be crazy busy. Help!

Re: Do I have to invite her?

• edited December 2011
    I wouldn't go, especially if it is OOT and would involve hotel, gift, dress, etc.  I am 2 months out and there is so much to pay for now I had to decline a wedding on the 8th because I couln't afford it.  I would just send a card with your regrets, and if you want to be really nice a gift.  But only if you want to be really nice ;)  
  • edited December 2011
    i had something similar happen. IMO, i would politely decline the invite.
  • edited December 2011
    You should never have to invite someone to your wedding unless you truly want to have them there and celebrate with them. I would decline.. and you have good reason, you're busy with your own wedding! besides who said you even have to give a reason? Maybe just send a card wishing her and her fiance well with a gift card for dinner or something...Don't feel bad, this happens to a lot of people... and who knows, maybe she thought the same about inviting you, but just wanted to be nice.. didn't want to offend you?I have a friend that I fell out with also.. in fact we've not spoken in more than a year, and I'm not going to invite her. I feel bad about it b/c I don't want to hurt her feelings... but when I think about having her celebrate my day with me, I feel even worse b/c it would be awkward.. I decided right from the get-go that I would not be inviting ANYONE just for the formality of it.Don't worry, you're doing the right thing! :) The goal is to enjoy your special day.. it's all about you and your Hubby-to-be.. no one else ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice girls! It's nice to know that my gut feeling was pretty spot on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards