Canada

Bridal Shows

Has anyone gone to a bridal show? Did you find it helpful, or get a good deal from a vendor? Thanks for your help :)

Re: Bridal Shows

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to 2, shortly after I got engaged.The first time, I had no idea what to expect and I went just to see what I could find. It was a bit overwhelming.The second one came up just after we had booked our venues and had started looking for specific vendors. It was much more productive to have a specific mission (I think we were looking for a photographer and baker at the time). Because I wasn't picky at all about the DJ, I did get a good deal booking a DJ on the spot.It's helpful if you've already begun your planning process and have a very general idea of what vendors you need to meet. It's not helpful if you're at either end of the spectrum - as in, either you have no clue about how to plan a wedding, or you've already got everything and everyone picked out. It's not a bad place to get ideas, but then again so is google and The Knot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I went to two as well. I found them good in some ways, really annoying in others. I did find that a lot of the venues that were there were not Toronto locations. A lot of "just outside the GTA", which is not what I was looking for. I did get a lot of ideas from the invitation vendors, including cost, look, colours, etc. I also picked up a lot of photographers portfolio books, I already had my photographer but these gave me ideas of "must have" photos I would like to take. Just be prepared for a million e-mails and phone calls if you sign up for lists/contests.
  • edited December 2011
    i personally did not find the bridal shows very helpful. I found the vendors to be very pushy too. the problem was the timing- as pp said, the best time to go to one is during the "middle" of your planning. At the beginning (which was when I went), its much too difficult to make decisions, because you havent had the opportunity to do your research yet. If you want to check one out, they are fun, but be prepared to be a bit bombarded and overwhelmed. Only go to the one that is very local to your venue. (I went to one in Hamilton, my wedding is in Niagara, and I didnt find anything helpful). But yeah, take your mom and go window shopping. :)
  • edited December 2011
    IMO not so helpful... I'm very much so a DIY-er, so I wasn't too interested in the vendors there... It did however make me feel more confident about my abilities as a crafty person... there was alot of "I could do that myself" happening in my head.Maybe you could get inspiration for things.. but even then, I have found the ol' internet proves to suffice in that area.One annoying thing was that they ask for your personal info by means of contests and trading it for free stuff.. which at first looks cool.. but then it turns out to be just a bunch of brochures that  are heavy as heck by the time you are done... and you could see the same stuff on their websites... and you'll save some trees that way ;) AND then they call you/email you with marketing stuff.... Just my experience... but you might want to go just for the sake of haivng the experience
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input ladies!
  • onetieronetier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just to put my two cents in.  I love bridal shows.. but I also love everything wedding.I still go to bridal shows now that I'm married.  I love to see the new ideas out there.That being said when I was planning I went to two bridal shows.  But I went with specific goals in mind.  I knew that trying to seriously find a vendor at a bridal show would be a disaster and that I would feel rushed, so instead I picked up everyone's pamphlets and made notes on who I got a good vibe from.  I found my photographer that way and I still love my pics!  I also found my favors that way.As a pp said, I was also very much a DIYer so I was there more for ideas of what was in style and the latest trend than anything else.
  • kelmcgeekelmcgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to 3 or 4... 2 where I live and 2 that are closer to the venue.  I found it was nice to see what ideas they had for decor just for ideas.   And to see the cost difference from the ones here and the ones closer to the venue it was CRAZY!   We really went to find a DJ and the cost here was over $1000 and the cost there was $500.  For only 30 mins between locations the cost difference was crazy!
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to one bridal show and I found it quite helpful. I ended up booking my photographer there and did a bunch of tasting from different cake places. One of the places I tasted from I ended up booking a couple of months later because I remembered how good it was! It also gave me lots of idea's of what I can do at my wedding. The clothing wasn't helpful though because I had all my dresses picked out already.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards