Canada
Options

Hotel recommendations

Hi everyone - a friend of mine is going to Toronto in January and is looking for an affordable hotel room (maybe $100 American per night, or less). Any suggestions? She's flying up from New Jersey and using public transportation to get around, so she'd prefer something right in the city. She has looked into the Town Inn Suites and the Sutton Place Hotel, and is curious as to whether they're decent places. Any experience? Thanks so much!

Re: Hotel recommendations

• Options
    ChihuahuaGolfChihuahuaGolf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sutton Place is fancy schmancy, and is near the Yorkville area - that's where Tiffany & Co is. Not too far from the subway, either. I've only been there for a conference, not overnight, though. I don't know anything about the Town Inn Suites, just that it's in the Gay Village. That's a nice area, and again very close to transit, etc. I wouldn't advise going any farther east than that in the downtown core. Any Marriott is good, and there is also the Delta Chelsea. I've only actually stayed in one hotel in downtown Toronto, and that is the Days Inn Toronto Downtown (30 Carlton Street). It's just east of Yonge Street (the main street in Toronto, a subway line runs along this street too - very close to College Subway Station). It was perfectly fine, only $99 Canadian, but nothing special. It is right beside Maple Leaf Gardens, where the Leafs used to play. Again, just don't go any farther east on Carlton.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Give hotwire.com a try. It lets you select by area of the city and the prices are always really good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I often stay at the Courtyard Marriott at Yonge and Alexander when I visit my parents.  It's a very comfortable hotel and not all that expensive.  It is within very easy walking distance of 2 different subway stations.The only hotel in the downtown area that I would recommend your friend stay far, far away from is the Best Western at Jarvis and Carleton.  I made the mistake of staying there once because it is only half a block away from my parents.  It has not been very well kept up and a lot of the rooms are actually rented out to Ryerson University students.  I do not have any experience with the two hotels that you listed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, the Sutton Place is an old-school fancy hotel. If she's looking for a younger, hipper area, I'd try the new Hyatt on King St. W. It's right on the King streetcar line (which goes to the subway) and close to lots of cool restaurants, and Queen St. shopping.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend NOT staying at the Delta  Chelsea. Our reception was amazing but they treated every guest under 30 like crap when checking in. Telling them their room had been given away, downgrading their room but charging the same amount. It was such a mess that I am complaining to the higher ups because of how rude and innapropriate my younger guests were treated.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards