Canada

Alberta Honeymmon.....any reccomendations?

This is a re-post from the Alberta page, but I thought I would ask here too! Smile

Hi!!

My FI and I are looking into honeymooning in Canmore.  Neither of us have ever traveled to Alberta but we love the cold and are actually looking forward to possibly seeing some snow!! We both are from the north (Michigan and New York State), but currenly live in south Florida, so we have not seen snow in years!

We have narrowed our resort search down to two resorts:  the Stoneridge Mountain Resort or the Blackstone Mountain Lodge.  Has anyone stayed at either resort or heard anything about them? 

Also, can anyone make any reccomendations for spas and things to do in the area?  We are honeymooning in October and love the outdoors! 

Thank you so very much for any help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alberta Honeymmon.....any reccomendations?

• MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another place in Alberta that you might want to consider if your not set on the exact area is Lake Louise.  I dont really know much about the area as I personally have never been out west (I'm in Ottawa) but I've had friends visit Lake Louise specifically and they all come back raving about it. Just an idea.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • edited December 2011
    I'm from Saskatchewan so I've only visited, but I looove Banff/Lake Louise.  FI and I did that last winter for 4 nights, we skiied at Lake Louise for a day, stayed in Banff, and the last night we were there we stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.  We knew it would be expensive, which is why we only did the one night, but it was SOOO worth it going and checking it out.  We spent the whole day wandering and looking everywhere!  There was a heated outdoor pool that was just amazing to sit out on, too.  We ate at a couple restaurants in the hotel too that rocked.

When we were staying in Banff we spent a day walking up and down the streets and checking out all the shops, tried different restaurants (we wouldn't go to anything we could go to in Saskatoon!)

I can honestly say it was the best vacation of my life.  LOVED it there.
  • suzie173suzie173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wherever you decide to stay as a "home base", definitely check out Banff and Lake Louise. There are just so many fun things to do. We did a lot of day trip activities (the Columbia Ice Fields are a must if you like the cold!), and the gondola ride to the Hot Springs in Banff is amazing, A visit to Johnson's Canyon (do the hike to the waterfalls) is fun. Lots of romantic venues in the eves as well. Enjoy!
    Suzie and Tom: Livin' the Dream!
  • edited December 2011
    I am very biased about Lake Louise because my FI proposed to me there over the holidays and it was perfect :) 
    It is beautiful and so much fun. If you wait until winter there are many activities such as skiing, ice skating, sleigh rides, dog sledding. These can all be done in Lake Louise or Banff.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if you're aware how close Banff, Lake Louise, and Canmore are to each other. Personally, I like staying in Canmore, and heading out to Banff or Lake Louise for day trips. Lake Loiuse is a little over an hour from Canmore, and Canmore is only about 45 minutes away from Banff, so this is totally doable. It's just as beautiful, less touristy, and is cheaper. Plus you're stll right in the mountains.

I personally have stayed a few times at the rental condos at Canmore Crossing and have loved them. The company that runs Canmore Crossing does have a few other buildings, I know one is called Fire Mountain, and I can't remember the other one. My brother has stayed at all three and says that Fire Mountain is the nicest. If you're coming in October, you should definately see snow, but I'm not sure if any of the resorts will be up and running yet. Depends, I guess. (If you two like snowboarding, I would recommend Lake Louise, but if you prefer skiing, then definately check out Sunshine- that's just outside of Banff.)

Hope I helped!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! Good choice on going out west for your honeymoon. My fiance and I lived in Lake Louise for 3 years, so we know Banff and Canmore very well. We would both highly suggest staying at Moraine Lake Lodge in Lake Louise. It is BY FAR one of the most beautiful places on earth. Very stunning. You should google some of the images and see for yourself. Canmore is slightly more residential, so as for a honeymoon, you would really be better off in Lake Louise or Banff. Canmore is about a 30-45 min drive to Lake Louise, and maybe a 15-20 min drive to Banff. Don't get us wrong, we adore Canmore and even think about moving there, but as a honeymoon spot, it seems a little secluded (not really the honeymoon type of seclusion). Unless you are renting a car, you'd have to take the bus (it's like the Greyhound, no city buses) to explore the surroundings. And if you are going to be there, you are really going to want to take the gondola up in Banff, see Moraine Lake and Lake Louise.. If in Lake Louise, try The Post and Deer Lodge, or for cheaper, Explorers, Trailhaed and the Hostle's restaurant. Whatever you choose, the rockies are amazing! Have a wonderful time, bring warm clothes just in case, the temp is up and down there.
  • edited December 2011
    If you have never seen the Canadian Rockies then you want to be sure to visit Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. They are all MUSTS! You only need to spend maximum 2 nights in each city.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards