Canada

Wedding Wednesday

Tell us about your ceremony:
-indoor/outdoor?
-same venue as reception or different?
-traditional/modern?
-own vows?
-music choices?
-any personalizations or details you are thinking about?

Re: Wedding Wednesday

• edited December 2011
    - indoor: At a church
    - different venue for reception. At a community hall
    -traditional, Catholic ceremony
    -Nope, can't.
    -Haven't decided yet. Ava Maria will definitely be played during the signing of the registry.
    -We are using pictures of our dog with photoshopped numbers on her as our table numbers.
  • edited December 2011
    -indoor/outdoor? - indoor at a church
    -same venue as reception or different? Different. Reception will be at a golf club
    -traditional/modern? Traditional, Catholic
    -own vows? Nope.
    -music choices? We haven't made these choices yet, but Grow Old With Me will (hopefully) be included
    -any personalizations or details you are thinking about? Not for the ceremony
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had an indoor ceremony at my church. It was pretty traditional and we stuck with the traditional vows.

Music was super important to us, as we are both members of the church choir, and also I am a pianist. We chose some favourite contemporary pieces and some traditional choral pieces. Also, DH grew up in a boys' choir school so his choir friends performed a piece.

I processed to an Etude by Chopin. We chose a contemporary psalm "Here I Am, Lord". We also had a piece to the tune of Wild Mountain Thyme, traditional Ubi Caritas, and the men performed Biebl's Ave Maria. Our recessional was the Overture from The Marriage of Figaro.

Other than the music, we didn't personalize too much. The priest called the parents up near the end for a "parental blessing" - it was just a quiet, private moment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    -indoor/outdoor? Indoo
    -same venue as reception or different? Well, they are in different towns..
    -traditional/modern? The ceremony will be pretty traditional, more modern elements to the reception
    -own vows? Nope.
    -music choices? Canon in D for procession, Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring for recessional, my friend is singing "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" when we sign our license.
    -any personalizations or details you are thinking about? Not really at the ceremony.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony will be indoors at a church, whereas our reception is going to be held at a hall.  The church doesn't really allow you to personalize the ceremony too much, so it will be on the traditonal side, with a few tweaks here and there to make it more modern and more us. 

We haven't decided about vows yet.  I've actually been really upset because traditionally you don't have vows in the Orthodox Church.  But apparently our priest will do vows as long as we write them ourselves and get them pre-approved.  We're still going to see if the Catholic priest we have coming in can do them for us, but it's something.

As for the music, I know that I want to walk in to Canon in D and that's about it.  We've hired a violinist.  I'll make the other music selections when we sit down together before the wedding.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony was at St.Patrick's Catholic Church in Toronto, so the ceremony was pretty traditional.  We used the set vows, and we had a ceremony with mass.  
    Like Ring_Pop, music was important to us - I love to sing and used to do it semi-professionally when I was younger, and DH just loves all music in general.  We had an incredible violinist play all of our music.  I walked down the aisle to Hallelujah (the Jeff Buckley version), used On Eagle's Wings for the presentation of the gifts (my grandmother's favourite church song), used The Water is Wide by Hopson during communion, and From My First Moment by Satie, which are both songs I used to sing in competition.  Our recessional song was Jesu, Joy of Man's desiring.
    The one thing that made the ceremony really personal is that our priest asked us to write a letter to him a week before the wedding, talking about ourselves, each other, our family, etc., and he used all of those details to personalize the homily, and really anything he talked about incorporated all of those things.  It really made everyone feel included and there were a lot of laughs - our priest was really great!
    Ohhhhhh memories!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_wedding-wednesday-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:46Discussion:9c77d75b-3ad4-4083-b614-5977775eb996Post:174703d3-0d31-4e90-9765-d8c9f1a52ca3">Re: Wedding Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE] The one thing that made the ceremony really personal is that our priest asked us to write a letter to him a week before the wedding, talking about ourselves, each other, our family, etc., and he used all of those details to personalize the homily, and really anything he talked about incorporated all of those things.  It really made everyone feel included and there were a lot of laughs - our priest was really great! Ohhhhhh memories!
    Posted by Littlin[/QUOTE]

That is so awesome! I wonder if our priest would do that...
  • edited December 2011
    -indoor/outdoor? Indoor at a chapel
    -same venue as reception or different? Reception at a different location
    -traditional/modern? More modern than anything
    -own vows? Fi decided to write his own, soI will feel really bad if I don't
    -music choices? a bit of everything. We come from different background so we have to mix it up
    -any personalizations or details you are thinking about? Monograms & cake topper will be our initials, thinking about doing something like that for favors maybe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards