Canada
Options

wedding dress shopping checklist

I am shopping in Toronto - first any hints for less $$ stores with nice dresses? can I call in advance to check on average prices or is that unlikely?
second - do I make an appt? if yes, how long does the appt last?

I want to try a few different stores.. is that nuts? how many stores should I go to in one day before my mom wants to kill me.
and how far apart should I make the appts?

any other suggestions or thoughts?

Re: wedding dress shopping checklist

• Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are a ton of stores with nice dresses, in various locations around the city - spadina downtown, danforth, north york, etc.  I used Becker's on the Danforth and they were great.

Some stores carry so many different dresses and price ranges that I probably wouldn't call and ask them about price.

Yes - make an appointment if you can.

I would only do one store in a day, IMO.  I ended up buying the first dress I tried on at the first store, though I tried on a few after.  Windsor Bridal I've heard has a huge selection, so you can probably find a dress you love, unless you are looking for something specific.  Too many stores and dresses will just overload your brain.  It gets hot getting in and out of dresses, and the last thing you want is to be hot and sweaty and stressed out!

Use the knot to find dress styles that you like and possibly certain designers.  Most dress store websites have a list of the designers they carry - this way you can also get a feel for the price range of the store.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bridal Fashion Fraire near Spadina & King has dresses starting at around $300. Bridals on Spadina just down the road, south of Adelaide, has dresses starting probably around $400-$500. There are a few other stores in the same area as well, and for the most part they don't require appointments (at least, not on weekdays). That's a good place to start if you want to hit multiple stores.

Chris & Tina's in Scarborough has great prices for the usual designers.

You can also try The Brides' Project. It's a charity that sells donated dresses. A lot of their dresses are actually new dresses donated by dress shops. They require an appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Bridal Fashion Fraire, they were so nice and had a good selection of dresses, as long as you're not looking for the fancy boutique experience.
  • Options
    silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Chris and Tina's - their prices and service were amazing (especially for alterations).

Yes make an appointment if you can. Also ask if they have a limit on how many dresses you can try on during the visit (many stores do)

I also had to come in from out of town, I think I went to 5 stores in 2 day and must have tried on nearly 40 dresses, but I did find the one. How many you and your mom are up for I think may depend on how much you think you know what you want and how many return trips you would be willing to make but I think if you go to more than 2 or 3 /day you will get overwhlemed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Sposa Bella on Danforth. I went there, and was unfortunately, unsuccessful, but their stuff is nice. Yes to the appt.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Loved Becker's! That's where I got mine - they have a sister store that carries less expensive dresses - it's called The Dressroom.
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes - we used The Dressroom for the bridesmaid dresses - both are excellent!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try Best4Bride I never went there but my friend who got married last summer went there and she got her dress from there. you don't need an appointment I don't think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards