Canada
Options

Matchy matchy BM and GM attire?

The problem:

I would like for the groomsmen to wear pinstripe brown tuxedos.
My BM dresses got changed becuase of body types not fitting what i originally wanted properly. So now I have to choose between satin brown and satin goldtone BM dresses.

I oroginally loved the dresses in brown but now that I want to have Brown for the GMs.. I dont know what else to do.

The reason I want brown for the guys is becuase everything in the wedding s earthtones, and black is going to look odd in my opinion. Also I think that Brown BM dresses and Black suits might look odd. Blue was the other option, but again, blue and earthtones...

So.... Brown GM and BMs??? Isn't that matchy matchy to the extreme? I think so but curious about what others think.

Has anyone sem brown pinstripe tuxs? Anyone have them? Were they awesome? Wink

Re: Matchy matchy BM and GM attire?

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore a brown dress in my MOH's wedding and the guys were in black tuxes, and it did not look odd. Classic black tuxes go with practically everything.

Brown and blue also go together.

If you're using earthtones, you could also consider putting the girls in champagne or even green.

I personally wouldn't have brown dresses AND brown tuxes, although bouquets, sashes on the dresses or other accessories could break up the brown on the girls. Actually, I'm not really a fan of brown tuxes in general.

Try David's Bridal's Dress Your Wedding tool to play around with your colours.
    http://www.davidsbridal.com/browse/dress-your-wedding
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think brown tuxes look kind of dated and I'm not a fan.  I agree with ring_pop that brown dresses will look just fine with black tuxes.  Black is a neutral - it works with everything.  I think you should take your BMs out and let them try on dresses in a couple of earth tones and see what they look best in, then make that the colour.  It will go with the theme of your wedding and they'll look great!
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would try pale blue, pale green, pale pink, or champagne for the girls - you can still keep it in the earth tones family, but I think brown dresses and brown tuxes are a lot.  You could always have a brown sash or add something to the dresses if you wanted to tie it all together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Brown Tuxes look dated??? Really??

If I go with Black tuxes how do i tue in the brown, or gold of the dresses???

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of people associate brown tuxes with the 70s, hence the dated comment. That being said, I think that tuxes are more about cut than colour. (Unless you're talking powder blue tuxes. Those will look 70s no matter how you spin them.)

Google "brown tuxes" and you'll find lots of nice looking styles.

The thought just occurred to me that you could also try mocha or cocoa for your girls' dresses. Those are gorgeous shades too.

As for tying the tuxes & dresses together, you can do what many brides do, and give the guys vests and ties in the same colour as the dresses.

Did you look at the picture I posted? I promise brown & black go together. Here's another one. The guys actually wore champagne ties, and shockingly, we still looked like a bridal party. Usually that happens when a bunch of girls in matching dresses and a bunch of guys in matching tuxes stand together next to a bride and groom.

Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    RE: the brown tuxes:  It's just a personal preference.  Like ring_pop said, they're very 70s to me.  I'm not saying you can't do it.  If you and your FI really love the look, by all means go for it.

I would tie in the colour through the vests.  If you want them to match the BMs you could have the BMs in brown dresses and the GMs in black tuxes with brown vests and ties.  Or if you're as little into the matchy-matchy look as I am, you could choose brown for either the BMs or the GMs and do something different for the other - green, gold, whatever.

Just some things to think about. :)
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok... so i found some pictures of what i want.. maybe people can renforce their feelings of "dated" after seeing these pics.

Here is a picture of what I was trying to go for:

Here is a picture of what I don't want:

Does anyone see the difference? LOL...

I am so dissapointed people think dark brown pinstripe suits are dated. Did i mention I am getting married in a 200 year old Barn.. and themewise things are going towards rustic, antique.. etc.

Ring_Pop, i appreciate that you had black tuxes and brown dresses and it looks lovely in that picture. However, I still feel the same, Black Tuxes and Brown dresses make me feel uncomfortable.

I guess I will have to go and look in the stores and see what looks good.

I love the tan pinstripe tuxes as well (see below) however I dont think it will look great in the fall.

Here are the girls dresses and 2 potential colors, the brown is actually alot richer and deeper and the bronze is also more rich and darker.

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not trying to shove my ideas down your throat and I apologize if I came off that way. I was trying to give good advice but from your response, I honestly wasn't sure whether you actually read my first post.

If you don't like brown + black, that's totally your call - it's your wedding after all. Choose the colours you like. I do like the styles you posted. We all love to share ideas, and we're happy to help. I'm sure it will all turn out lovely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ultimately - it's your day and you will do what you want!  You don't need our approval, but you did ask for our opinions, and that's what we gave.  I'm sure whatever you pick will be lovely.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally understand ladies. I posted the pics beccuase I wanted to ensure you understood what I meant. Guess you did ha!

And the end of the day I got the answer I was looking for, brown GM and brown BM dresses together will be too darn much!

Thanks!
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Now that you've said your wedding will be in a barn with a rustic feel, I actually kind of like the idea of the brown tuxes lol.  But yeah, if you do them, definitely don't put the BMs in brown dresses too.

Sounds like you've figured it out.  I hope you'll update us when you've decided what you'll go with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have dark brown suits for the groomsmen and the groom.  I had originally wanted dark brown bm dresses to match but found that unless the colour was exact it wouldn't look right.  Next I tried a light gold/yellow search which yielded nothing although I still like the combination.   We settled on an Alexia Designs dress which is white with poppy red flower print.  The gm will wear red/brown/white paisley ties.  My dress is ivory so the groom will also have an ivory shirt and tie.  I know it's kind of all over the board but I think it'll all tie together in the end as our colour scheme is 'warm'. Bouquets will be reddish orange and it will be outdoors surrounded by yellow/orange/red flowers.

Dark brown suits are where it's at btw.  That was the first choice we made Smile.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards