Christian Weddings
Options

What Do You Think?

I just watched a video of a guy who surprised his girlfriend/fiance (I had trouble figuring out if they were engaged or not) with a wedding.  She showed up for what she thought was a retirement party and it was her wedding!!  

So I was wondering, what would you think if this happened to you?  

I would have been really sad that I didn't get to do anything to prepare for my own wedding (although it appears that she did pick out her own dress).  But I'm sure I would have been so touched that DH did that for me and would have been so happy to be marrying him.

Re: What Do You Think?

• Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have to admit, I cried watching the video. I'm glad she's so happy with the way everything turned out. However, I'd have freaked out if H pulled something different. I'm not the last minute, throw things together type of person and I definitely would have missed being involved in planning my wedding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's such an adorable and thoughtful thing for him to do.... but at the same time I would be a little sad. I really enjoy planning my wedding and doing the little things like dress shopping with my mom and grandma and looking at venues with my FI and dad. But I guess overall if I'm marrying the man I love the rest doesn't matter.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Aw I think that is adorable.  Clearly it was perfect for her.  I would never want that but it looked awesome.  :)  I teared up.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0ca9ebc4-93df-4ef5-acb7-8ddb02ec35d5Post:d91b9be8-6036-400f-afb5-ad0adee40ed8">What Do You Think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just watched a video of a guy who surprised his girlfriend/fiance (I had trouble figuring out if they were engaged or not) with a wedding.  She showed up for what she thought was a retirement party and it was her wedding!!   <a href="http://shawnandcolleen.wordpress.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://shawnandcolleen.wordpress.com/</a> So I was wondering, what would you think if this happened to you?   <strong>I would have been really sad that I didn't get to do anything to prepare for my own wedding (although it appears that she did pick out her own dress).  </strong>But I'm sure I would have been so touched that DH did that for me and would have been so happy to be marrying him.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

She kind of *did* get to do everything, though...he had all the details there that she would have wanted, since he had asked her about all of them. And since they were originally planning to elope, I thought it was adorable that he planned the entire thing and had all their friends and family there. :)
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I would have been really happy and excited. But, I would also feel like I wasn't able to enjoy the experience of wedding planning or being engaged.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate surprised. Absolutely HATE them. I don't like christmas presents because inside every box is a surprise. AHH!! I almost have a panic attack when I open presents that I don't know whats inside. When I was a kid, I used to carefully unwrap every present under the christmas tree when my parents weren't home so I wouldn't be surprised on Christmas. I carefully wrapped them back up when I looked inside each one. 

If FI planned the entire thing, I would honestly go into shock. When he proposed, I was so mad at him. I seriously didn't say anything to him for 30 minutes in the car on the way to dinner. I hated the ring, I hated the fact that he'd surprised me.... He was so scared that I was going to break up with him. By the time we got to the resturant, I did say yes, but didn't like the ring for a good 6 months after (he picked it, not my style at all. I thought it was ugly -- now I appreciate it because he picked it all by himself) 

I don't know how I'd act other than be furious. After I got over it, I'd probably love it. No planning, no stressing, just have it all done. How awesome is that. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is really sweet! I think my mom or someone told me about this. As romantic as it was, I wouldn't have preferred this. If H would have done it, I would have been so appreciative and happy, but I would have felt sad deep down that I couldn't do all the fun wedding prep stuff that I had always dreamed of and I wouldn't have been able to look forward to my wedding day and get all excited. I love surprises- but that's a BIG surprise! Very very sweet, though. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What a romantic he is.  He planned this for a year and gave her everything she wanted for her wedding.  I have to admit, I teared up too.

Thanks for sharing the video. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 image Invited guests
    73image Will be celebrating with us!
    81 image Would rather look at our wedding photo album and/or video
    3 image Making me wait

RSVP Date September 18, 2011
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I think it's sweet and obviously worked for them, I would have hated it.  I didn't want the big wedding in the first place - I hate crowds and large groups - and I suffer from anxiety, so to spring something like that on me would have been an absolute disaster.  I probably would have cried and run away and someone would have probably had to try to talk me into it.

Then again, H knows me well enough to never plan something like that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0ca9ebc4-93df-4ef5-acb7-8ddb02ec35d5Post:ac646cc2-d117-46f1-aa19-d5ad3c18378d">Re: What Do You Think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have to admit, I cried watching the video. I'm glad she's so happy with the way everything turned out. However, I'd have freaked out if H pulled something different. I'm not the last minute, throw things together type of person and I definitely would have missed being involved in planning my wedding.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]
    This.  But to be honest, I think I'd be so impressed with FI's ability to pull it off that I'd get over the whole not planning thing, lol.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be thrilled. It'd be sweet but a wedding is something I've wanted to plan since I was old enough to think..

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm wondering how he got the marriage licence without her...
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    drama, I wondered about that too, but then I remembered that we have one county that will allow for mail in license application.  Maybe they have something like that too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0ca9ebc4-93df-4ef5-acb7-8ddb02ec35d5Post:e5774a6b-e9da-4f98-bf36-8ad683813072">Re: What Do You Think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What Do You Think? : She kind of *did* get to do everything, though...he had all the details there that she would have wanted, since he had asked her about all of them. And since they were originally planning to elope, I thought it was adorable that he planned the entire thing and had all their friends and family there. :)
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly.
    He would casually ask her "if we were to get married, what kind of flowers would you want?" etc. So she unknowingly planned her own wedding. She just didn't do it first-hand. She didn't have to have any of the stress or anything. If that could happen for me & everything turned out the way I actually wanted it, that'd be a gift from Heaven! lol
    the reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. ~nicholas sparks<3</center>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards