Christian Weddings
Options

XP: Question about my program and vows

Hey girls, so I can't believe I'm actually designing this already. eeeeeeeee!
Here's my ceremony order
Entrance of the Bridal Party
air (suite III)
Bridal Procession
canon in d
Welcome
Reverend pastorsname
Scripture Reading
1 Corinthians 13
Reading of the Vows
Lighting of Unity Candle
Be Thou My Vision
Sung by friendsname
The blessing and kiss
Recessional
This will be (an everlasting love)

ok ok. so first, does this look good, am I missing anything blaring? lol. Also... for those who are writing their own vows, are you also doing traditional vows? "Do you take bla blablablabin sickness and health blablabla" "I do" and if you are, are you doing this after you read your vows??

Advice from those who are already married would be appreciated- I'm having a really hard time finding good examples online - so if you're willing to black out your names and share, I appreciate that too!

Re: XP: Question about my program and vows

• Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Exciting!  We had the Declaration of Intent before the first scripture and song.  Ours said:

Lisa, do you here in the presence of God and these witnesses declare your commitment to and choose Joe as the one with whom you wish to spend your life? Do you give yourself to him and accept the gift of self, which he gives to you? Do you pledge to endure all of the difficulties that life may offer, even as you look forward to sharing the joys to be experienced together? (“I do”) 

Right after that the officiant asked who would be giving me away.

Our program has:

Welcome
    Prayer
    Declaration of Intent
    Presentation of the Bride
    Charge to the Congregation

Other than the Declaration of Intent and Presentation of the Bride (if someone is giving you away), I don't see anything.

I really liked having the Charge to the Congregation which was asking:

Will you, the family and friends of Joe and Lisa, do all in your power to uphold their marriage in the years ahead, and will you promise to pray for them and encourage them so that they may fulfill the vows they are making today?  Congregation: “We will”

• Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    I love the Charge to the Congregation, Lisa. I apparently haven't been to enough weddings because this is the first I'm hearing of it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't been to a wedding where this was used. I had originally thought that I wouldn't have my dad give me away (since I had been on my own for 16 years) so I was trying to think of an alternative.  I thought this would be a great way for our friends and family to become more involved and it is really modeled after the idea of a child dedication where the child's congregation is typically asked to pray for them and support them as they grow up,
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it looks good!  I don't have vows to share, as we don't do them in my church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gotten that far yet, but it looks good! How exciting to be planning that! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you don't do something like - "I jane take you john to be my wedded husband in sickness and health, in richness and in poor, in good times and bad, as long as you both shall live"???

• Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is the outline our officiate used for ours, hope it helps!
    (Our program was very similar, but didn't have the vows and readings written out.)

Seating of the mothers - Love Is Not A Fight by Warren Barfield

Wedding party processional - Composed by Matt – 1st Movement

Bridal processional - Composed by Matt - 2nd Movement

Welcome/Presentation
    Prayer: Pastor G
     Reading by Pastor R (Buechner)
    “They say they will love, comfort, honor each other to the end of their days. They say they will cherish each other and be faithful to each other always. They say they will do these things not just when they feel like it, but even -- for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health -- when they don’t feel like it at all. In other words, the vows they make could hardly be more extravagant. They give away their freedom. They take on themselves each other’s burdens. They bind their lives together... The question is, what do they get in return? “They get each other in return... There will always be the other to talk to, to listen to... There is still someone to get through the night with, to wake into the new day beside. If they have children, they can give them, as well as each other, roots and wings. If they don’t have children, they each become the other’s child. “They both still have their lives apart as well as a life together. They both still have their separate ways to find. But a marriage made in heaven is one where a man and a woman become more richly themselves together than the chances are either of them could ever have managed to become alone.” 
    Message for Bride and Groom.   
    Vows 
    I, Matthew, take you, Julie, to be my wife, before God who brought us together; to love and cherish you even as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for it, to lead you and share all of life's experiences with you by following God through them. That through His grace, we might grow together into the likeness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.

I, Julie, take you, Matthew, to be my husband, before God who brought us together, to love you, cherish you, to submit myself unto you in all things, and to follow you through all of life's experiences as you follow God. That through His grace we might grow together into the likeness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. 
    Exchange of rings
    (Julie/Matt) I give you this ring as a pledge of my commitment to keep this covenant and perform these vows. 
    Scripture reading: Jeremiah 29:11-13 Pastor C
     Musical meditation – When You Say You Love Me (K)
    Communion  (Pastor H) 
    Prayer 
    By the authority given to me by the Church of Jesus Christ and the laws of this state, I now pronounce you husband and wife.  You may kiss your bride. 

I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Matt M.

Recessional – I’m Taking You with Me by Relient K   

ETA: Spacing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_xp-question-program-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0f486cb5-6f68-4b37-bce3-d1d65f9cd396Post:11b84dea-ae98-42ce-8bc7-4926f761ba91">Re: XP: Question about my program and vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]you don't do something like - "I jane take you john to be my wedded husband in sickness and health, in richness and in poor, in good times and bad, as long as you both shall live"???
    Posted by kalizoomba[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what your asking, are you asking if I'm doing this for my wedding, or if I left it out of my program by accident? Either way - we are doing this ^^ possibly in addition to reading our vows.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_xp-question-program-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0f486cb5-6f68-4b37-bce3-d1d65f9cd396Post:7c38a739-33f6-45d2-bce2-738e79d2bfe2">Re: XP: Question about my program and vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here is the outline our officiate used for ours, hope it helps! (Our program was very similar, but didn't have the vows and readings written out.)   Seating of the mothers - Love Is Not A Fight by Warren Barfield Wedding party processional - Composed by Matt – 1st Movement Bridal processional - Composed by Matt - 2nd Movement   Welcome/Presentation Prayer: Pastor G   Reading by Pastor  R (Buechner) “They say they will love, comfort, honor each other to the end of their days. They say they will cherish each other and be faithful to each other always. They say they will do these things not just when they feel like it, but even -- for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health -- when they don’t feel like it at all. In other words, the vows they make could hardly be more extravagant. They give away their freedom. They take on themselves each other’s burdens. They bind their lives together... The question is, what do they get in return? “They get each other in return... There will always be the other to talk to, to listen to... There is still someone to get through the night with, to wake into the new day beside. If they have children, they can give them, as well as each other, roots and wings. If they don’t have children, they each become the other’s child. “They both still have their lives apart as well as a life together. They both still have their separate ways to find. But a marriage made in heaven is one where a man and a woman become more richly themselves together than the chances are either of them could ever have managed to become alone.”   Message for Bride and Groom.      Vows   I, Matthew, take you, Julie, to be my wife, before God who brought us together; to love and cherish you even as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for it, to lead you and share all of life's experiences with you by following God through them. That through His grace, we might grow together into the likeness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. I, Julie, take you, Matthew, to be my husband, before God who brought us together, to love you, cherish you, to submit myself unto you in all things, and to follow you through all of life's experiences as you follow God. That through His grace we might grow together into the likeness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.   Exchange of rings (Julie/Matt) I give you this ring as a pledge of my commitment to keep this covenant and perform these vows.   Scripture reading: Jeremiah 29:11-13 Pastor C   Musical meditation – When You Say You Love Me (K) Communion   (Pastor H)   Prayer   By the authority given to me by the Church of Jesus Christ and the laws of this state, I now pronounce you husband and wife.   You may kiss your bride.   I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Matt M.   Recessional – I’m Taking You with Me by Relient K       ETA: Spacing.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

Joesgurl & AZDancer, thank you! <strong>very</strong> helpful to see somone elses program order :) I'm saving this to my computer so I can reference it!
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Here's ours.  We're not including the titles for the prelude or recessional/postlude, and we're including the words for The Doxology in the program.  I also included our statement of intent, vows, ring wording, and charge to the guests.  I actually finished our program yesterday.  Now I just have to design the cover.  It's getting sooooo close!!!

PRELUDE- On CD

Hold You Up- Matthew West

Sun Down- Iver

When Did You Fall- Chris Rice

Dancing in the Minefields- Andrew Peterson

Waiting For You- Matthew West

Hundred More Years- Francesca Battistelli

Barbie Bandaids- The Isaacs

I Loved Her First- Heartland

SEAT GRANDPARENTS and MOTHERS

Parents’ Prayer- Steven Curtis Chapman

USHERS UNROLL AISLE CLOTH, MEN ENTER FROM SIDE

For the Beauty of the Earth

PROCESSIONAL

Alla Luce Del Dio- Mark Magnuson

CONGREGATIONAL HYMN

The Doxology

WELCOMEFI’s Dad

OPENING PRAYER

GIVING of the BRIDE

*Pastor, B&G, and BM&MOH step up on stage

STATEMENT of MARRIAGE/DECLARATION of INTENT

­________, believing that marriage is a covenant intended by God to be a lifelong fruitful relationship between a man and a woman, do you vow to God, to _____, your family, and your community, to remain steadfast in selfless and unconditional love for ____ and do you promise to always seek reconciliation in times of trial? Do you promise to remain faithful and pure in mind and body while purposefully growing personally and spiritually in your covenant marriage relationship?

(______- “I Do”)

GOSPEL MESSAGE- My Associate Pastor

SLIDESHOW- A Page is Turned- Bebo Norman

READING- These Hands- BM & MOH

“SERMONETTE”- A COVENANT MARRIAGE (Based on Ephesians 5:22-33)- FI’s Dad

THE VOWS

“I, ______, enter into this covenant of marriage with you, ______./ I promise always to love you as my _____/ and to completely give myself and all that I have to you./ I pledge to care for you for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health /I will strive to live before you a life of faith and trust in Jesus Christ./ I will love, honor, and respect you all the days of my life.

THE RINGS

“­­­­­­­­_______, I give you this ring/ as a symbol of my commitment to you/ and, thereby, seal this covenant of marriage.”

CORD OF THREE STRANDS-My Pastor

Love Never Fails- Brandon Heath

PRAYER- My Youth Pastor

SIGNING of MARRIAGE COVENANT—FI’s Dad

When I Say I Do- Matthew West

CHARGE to the GUESTS

“Dear friends and family, as God has joined this couple together in His Covenant of Marriage through this Community of Faith, will you encourage and support them in their life in God’s kingdom? Will you stand by them in sickness and in health, in adversity and prosperity, be true and loyal to God in support of this covenant relationship holding them accountable to their covenant, so long as they both shall live? If so answer, “We will.”

PRONOUNCEMENT and KISS

INTRODUCTION

RECESSIONAL and POSTLUDE- On CD

Throne Room- John Williams (from Star Wars…shhh…FI still doesn’t know)

I’m Taking You With Me- Relient K

The Best Thing- Relient K

Must Have Done Something Right- Relient K

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just asking if you were doing it - I thought you said your church didn't do vows and was confused.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely glad this was posted because I needed help with the vows and things too!!  Thanks ladies!!

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_xp-question-program-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0f486cb5-6f68-4b37-bce3-d1d65f9cd396Post:b743946a-98ff-4459-a90a-a5d630c0a966">Re: XP: Question about my program and vows</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just asking if you were doing it - I thought you said your church didn't do vows and was confused.
    Posted by kalizoomba[/QUOTE]

We are, our church gives you the option of either or, and I think we might be doing both but I'm not sure yet.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GJones is the one whose church doesn't do vows.  I believe she's Greek Orthodox?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong!  I do know her ceremony is significantly different from what we're used to.

I'll pop our wedding video in tonight; I can't remember if we did the statement of intent or not!  I think we did, and I think it was before our vows, but I'll check tonight to be sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards