Christian Weddings
Options

PreMarital Councelling

First night of the PreMarital Councelling class at our church tonight :)
FI and I are really looking forward to it as we have heard LOTS of good things about the class from other couples who have taken it :)

Anyone else taking that step right now? Done so before? What did you like/dislike about it?

Re: PreMarital Councelling

• Options
    edited December 2011
    exciting!! FI and I have started any counseling yet. I know we will have to do some but we plan on talking to our pastor after the 1st of the year. Good luck tonight

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We were actually just realizing that this coming Sunday will be a year since we FINISHED pre-marital.  It's crazy how fast time flies.  We started Labor Day Weekend, and it was a 9-wk Sunday School class.  We did take it earlier than most couples because DH graduated last December, I still had a semester left, and we didn't know where he was going to end up (he ended up 1100 miles away).  The other couple in class with us got married the same day we did, so that made it feel like it wasn't too early. 

I loved the material we covered.  We went through "Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts" by Les & Leslie Parrott.  

The week we covered sex was the most awkward (but probably the most needed) conversation DH and I have ever had.  The only people I had ever talked about sex with were my closest girl friends.  Mom and I didnt' talk about it after THE Talk, because I didn't want to.  DH was the first guy I had ever talked about that with, and it took me a very long time to even say the word.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're in it and we LOVE it! 

We did Financial Peace University and would totally recommend that as part of marriage prep. We both had a decent handle on money before but it helped SO much! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are signed up for Financial Peace University in January :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hope it went well! 

We really enjoyed it. Make sure you are open and honest about everything- that's how you will get the most out of it. 
  • Options
    BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Last night was really good, it was all about communication. There were some great discussions :) I think FI enjoyed it too!
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_premarital-councelling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:178fa1c8-1788-4546-a67d-9382ff35c5c7Post:5fab781e-b954-43d7-9997-3fb0a2b20bf3">Re: PreMarital Councelling</a>:
    [QUOTE]Last night was really good, it was all about communication. There were some great discussions :) I think FI enjoyed it too!
    Posted by BMcLeodTeam[/QUOTE]

Great to hear!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    nujulesnujules member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wohoo! We can't wait to start our official pre-marital counseling with our church. Our church requires a 6 month pre-marital course with a married couple. For one year we did our own pre-marital counseling though - we were in a young marrieds bible study/marriage small group for 6 months. We've also been to (what feels like countless marriage seminars with the leaders of our church). We also read Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts and both got the men/women work books. My friend who got married a few months ago did these with their pastor for their requirements for premarital counseling and recommended them to us. We did a lesson every week and would meet up to discuss. The advice I have on the workbooks is to make sure you do the men's and women's workbooks separately. The only way to be true to your expectations and thoughts of married life is to not be influenced by each other, it makes for such a great conversation though!

Christian marriage books we read -
    Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts (Les & Leslie Parrot) ** Loved this!
    Love, Sex and Lasting Relationships (Chip Ingram) ** my fav
    For Women Only
    Every Woman's Battle (I completely disagreed with this book - however some may find this helpful) 

Fiance additionally read:
    Every Man's Battle
    Every Man's Marriage
    For Men Only
    - He's doing  a men's daily devotional from the writer's of "Every Man's Battle"

For our official Church pre-marital counseling we will be using the "Enrich online assessment" and meeting with a couple. By the time we're married we'll have had some type of pre-marital counseling for almost 2 years, all extremely helpful though! Have fun :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards