Christian Weddings

Devotional recs

Can anyone recommend a good women's devotional?

Re: Devotional recs

• edited December 2011
    Not exactly a devotional, but goes through the book of Galations. You could break it up into smaller chunks (there are ~14 weeks, with multiple questions per week). It is the best Bible study I've ever done (ended up doing it 3 times) because the commentary is excellent and challenging. There is also an application section after each section. I'd suggest going through the leader guide, because that is where the commentary is.

http://www.redeemer2.com/rstore/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=29

If you click on the free sample you can see the outline, an excerpt from a section and an example of one of the application/extra sections.

That's all I've got =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am a HUGE fan of Beth Moore devotional books.  Our women's group at church uses them (all ages) and it's really relevant to life today.  One of the books that the church women recently used  ladies enjoyed is "A Heart Like His" (CLICKY).  

I also look online for resources like this one: http://www.proverbs31.org/

Also, it is probably "old" now, but I still love my Experiencing God devotional book by Henry Blackaby.  I also treat "The Purpose-Driven Life" by Rick Warren like a devotional as well.  Did a college group about 5 years ago (I think) with that book and really enjoyed it.   

Good luck!! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • squeakyducksqueakyduck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Girlfriends in God. (Clicky link) They will send one straight to your email every weekday for free. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been wondering this same thing... thanks for asking, agape.  I'll look into some of those.

I'm also onterested in getting into couples' devotionals with my FI - do you ladies have any of those type to recommend?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_devotional-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2299cf1e-2971-45a3-9f8b-2259654348a5Post:728b1cb6-51d5-4d17-838a-e69270a5e4a0">Re: Devotional recs</a>:
    [QUOTE]...I'm also interested in getting into couples' devotionals with my FI - do you ladies have any of those type to recommend?
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I've heard a LOT of good things about "The Five Love Languages."  The book is a little older but it is one that keeps coming around.  Gary Chapman also recently published a series of devotionals based on this book called "The One-Year Love Language Minute Devotional."  It has been highly recommended to us by another couple and we may use it as newlyweds if we don't use it beforehand.  </div><div>
    </div><div>These books aren't necessarily "devotionals" but they are Biblically based and recommended reading from my church.  We frequently use books like these as devotionals in our Sunday School classes, in addition to the "Our Daily Bread" book or the other church-provided weekly books.  I don't know if these would appeal to everyone, but this is what's on his list:</div><div>
    </div><div>How to Be Happy Though Married (Tim LaHaye)</div><div>Strike the Original Match (Chuck Swindoll)</div><div>Communication: Key to Your Marriage (H. Norman Wright)</div><div>The Act of Marriage (Tim LaHaye)</div><div>Intended for Pleasure (Dr. Ed Wheat)</div><div>The Gift of Sex (Clifford and Joyce Penner) -- our senior pastor uses this book with every couple he weds, and this will also be the book that the executive pastor uses with us, I think. </div><div>Learning to Live with the Love of your Life (Neil Clark Warren)
    His Needs Her Needs (Willard F. Harley, Jr.)</div><div>The Other Side of Love (Gary Chapman)</div><div>The Five Love Languages (Gary Chapman)</div><div>
    </div><div>My favorite christian bookstore is Lifeway Christian Stores, so you might also check out their website to see if you find a book that has what you're looking for too!! :-) </div>
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to second Kelly's suggestion of Experiencing God. I just did it in a Bible Study and I cannot recommend it enough. They have daily devotionals as well.

I'm going through a one year devotioinal on Women of the Bible right now. It looks at one woman per week, and it's good so far (although I've just started).

I know a couple going through "Sacred Marriage" right now and they are both thrilled with it. She's let me look at some of it, and it looks really good.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_devotional-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2299cf1e-2971-45a3-9f8b-2259654348a5Post:e9c1d8ce-ed75-49bb-8c71-b50950b429a4">Re: Devotional recs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devotional recs : I've heard a LOT of good things about "The Five Love Languages."  The book is a little older but it is one that keeps coming around.  Gary Chapman also recently published a series of devotionals based on this book called "The One-Year Love Language Minute Devotional."  It has been highly recommended to us by another couple and we may use it as newlyweds if we don't use it beforehand.   These books aren't necessarily "devotionals" but they are Biblically based and recommended reading from my church.  We frequently use books like these as devotionals in our Sunday School classes, in addition to the "Our Daily Bread" book or the other church-provided weekly books.  I don't know if these would appeal to everyone, but this is what's on his list: How to Be Happy Though Married (Tim LaHaye) Strike the Original Match (Chuck Swindoll) Communication: Key to Your Marriage (H. Norman Wright) The Act of Marriage (Tim LaHaye) Intended for Pleasure (Dr. Ed Wheat) The Gift of Sex (Clifford and Joyce Penner) -- our senior pastor uses this book with every couple he weds, and this will also be the book that the executive pastor uses with us, I think.  Learning to Live with the Love of your Life (Neil Clark Warren) His Needs Her Needs (Willard F. Harley, Jr.) The Other Side of Love (Gary Chapman) The Five Love Languages (Gary Chapman) My favorite christian bookstore is Lifeway Christian Stores, so you might also check out their website to see if you find a book that has what you're looking for too!! :-) 
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

We are reading Gary Chapman's new book "Things I Wish I Knew Before I Got Married"....it's really good. Our pastor said he is giving us The Five Love Languages next session.  I've also heard The Love Dare is a good devotional for couples.
    200 image 150 image 50 image RSVP Date: March 10th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_devotional-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2299cf1e-2971-45a3-9f8b-2259654348a5Post:e36497bf-4aba-4366-88e5-c21a9b266c45">Re: Devotional recs</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm going through a one year devotioinal on Women of the Bible right now. It looks at one woman per week, and it's good so far (although I've just started).
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

This is one of my favorite devotional books; I love it because it actually asks questions, and makes you think, rather than having a passage and the a few comments on it, and not having you involved in any real way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards